Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rebecca on Harty

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Simster said:
Not tricky at all Tooting - that 50% clause is there for a reason. The occasion investor being put off by this clause is a price well worth paying for the protection against unscrupulous potential asset stripping board members,

I don't have an issue with an over 50% shareholder once Falmer starts being built.

What could be done with a new ground, won't be sold off as nothing can be done to develop that area unless a multi-millionaire Farmer suddenly appeared with no brains about the value of a plot of land.

So come on a rich person - let's be havin' ya !

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Simster said:
Not tricky at all Tooting - that 50% clause is there for a reason. The occasion investor being put off by this clause is a price well worth paying for the protection against unscrupulous potential asset stripping board members,

Fair enough Sim. All I would add is that when you say the 'occasional investor' might be deterred by our (understandable) paranoia - the pool of people/companies having proper money to invest is already small.

That clause makes the pool a lot smaller. At some point you have to ask yourself whether you are doing more harm than good - and if the price we are actually paying is just not getting any decent investment.

This debate does tend on here (what a surprise) to be painted as absolute black and white. Either you have no cash and your principles, or you deal with the devil and somone sells your ground. We were very unlucky last time, but clearly no one's going to forget it in a hurry. I would like to think there were other safeguards we could put in place that does not necessarily put off well-intentioned investors.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
But surely it can be argued that Mr Brown has already pinned his colours to the mast by stumping up the money in the last 2 years that kept the club going.
Whilst on the subject of no more than 50%, does anyone have the breakdown of the current shareholding at the Albion?

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Bill Brown made his money from re-insurance, whatever that maybe, and is reputed to be worth in excess of £165million.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Can't really answer that, but I know he is a very good friend of Derek Chapman and has been a Withdean season ticket holder for at least a couple of years.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Simster said:
well said :clap:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Searched Billy Brown on google images and got this:

p0960_old_billy_brown_0130.jpg

Along with a few rather 'adult' pictures.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here