Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] REALISTIC signings for next season?

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
I actually think that Divock Origi would be a good singing. He’s a good player with experience in the league known for scoring big goals. He’s still youngish (25), and he too, like Toney, has a habit of over preforming his xG. Last season, he scored 4 in the league with an xG of 1.80. The season before, he had 3 from 1.68, and in his best season, 2016/17, he had 8 from 5.38.
I agree. Apparently Liverpool are looking to offload about 10-12 players to reduce wage bill and he’s one of them. Being touted at £10-£12m and on £50k wages, probably within our price range.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I agree. Apparently Liverpool are looking to offload about 10-12 players to reduce wage bill and he’s one of them. Being touted at £10-£12m and on £50k wages, probably within our price range.

When Liverpool, who this season have Champs league income, are forced to have a clear out and Man City are claiming, (ok possibly spuriously) they can't afford a striker, it's starting to become clear that the transfer market isn't going to function normally this summer.

This will affect us, both in terms of who we buy and we sell. Some of the basic assumptions we're making are based on what will happen in a normal year.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
When Liverpool, who this season have Champs league income, are forced to have a clear out and Man City are claiming, (ok possibly spuriously) they can't afford a striker, it's starting to become clear that the transfer market isn't going to function normally this summer.

This will affect us, both in terms of who we buy and we sell. Some of the basic assumptions we're making are based on what will happen in a normal year.

And I would expect the summer transfer window to be like a very high stakes poker match. He who blinks first, loses.

Must clubs, with an existing solid squad that does not need many additions will hold back until very late.
When the accountants start telling club owners across Europe how bad the outlook is they will be forced into making some major sacrifices.
The couple of weeks before the window closes will see some major bargains available.

The clubs with the biggest problem will be those with players on very high wages and long contracts who they will not be able to give away. i.e. Aubamayang, Kepa, De Gea, Zaha.
It will be like trying to sell a decent book for a pound at a car boot sale, no one will be interested.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I think we will give Welbeck a new contract and re-integrate Andone, so don't see us signing a senior striker.

A proper left back is the only obvious position on the shopping list. Agree Sessegnon might be worth a look.

Aside from that, we'll probably get a 16 year old midfielder from Togo and another strapping ball playing defender from Norway ... plus a good number for the women's team

Suspect this will be nearer the truth. With a £69m loss last season and likely to be far higher for the current one, I suspect trying to bring Andone back into the fold and offer Welbeck another year is all I realistically expect.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Suspect this will be nearer the truth. With a £69m loss last season and likely to be far higher for the current one, I suspect trying to bring Andone back into the fold and offer Welbeck another year is all I realistically expect.
I think the next loss will be smaller as something weird was done with the TV income whereby not all was paid last year but that shortfall amount gets paid this year - so will be an extra credit ?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I still want Sessignon of spurs. And I would still like Maitland Niles off Arsenal, plus another stiker.

I suspect we will lose White and Bissouma.

All depends how much of that money uncle tony wants back, if he wants it all its fine by me

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

Yes, if we don't buy big, but don't sell big, this would be a very good outcome.

With Andone, Lamptey, Webster and Solly to come back in, we have good cover all over the pitch. It's only left back, we're having to muddle through with. So that's where I would be looking.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I still want Sessignon of spurs. And I would still like Maitland Niles off Arsenal, plus another stiker.

I suspect we will lose White and Bissouma.

All depends how much of that money uncle tony wants back, if he wants it all its fine by me

I think the answer is, he wants none of it back. However he doesn't want to get in the way of someone's once in a lifetime opportunity to go to a huge club either. Whether a sufficient offer comes is far from certain though

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
This. Welbeck will stay with us. Considering he was released by Watford we've done a fantastic job with his fitness and I assume both parties will want another season out of it.

I can't see us signing a "name" striker either. One day people on here might come round to the realisation that our current attacking options are what we'll be using for a while. We have two established strikers in Maupay and Welbeck who are good Premier League players and key to the way we create chances. We have a very good looking up and coming player in Zeqiri and have been nursing Andone back into the fold.

Connolly and/or Tau maybe loaned out if Andone is part of our plans but I don't see an incomer.

It often makes me smile, when at this time of year, many on here seem to think that we will go out and sign a marquee named striker, guaranteed to score us at least 20 goals for the coming season.

We should all know by now that that isn't how TB works, an Manyd that's even if he is in a position to spend mega bucks, in the present Covid climate. Many other clubs will be in exactly the same position as us at the moment, and l foresee very few players changing clubs for an extortionate amount of money.

In the latter part of thius season we have managed very well with the squad that we have, and l see no reason at all why the board will want to bring in very much new blood at all.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There seems to be a feeling / expectation that Bissouma will be on his way, but this will leave the 1st XI woefully short of quality in the middle of the park. If we have to sell to buy then it makes far more sense that player is Ben White or Adam Webster as we have ready cover in Veltman, Clarke and Burn.

The worry right now is if we start next season without that new striker and without Bissouma then we could struggle. We have no other player with the physique, the bite, the legs who is ready to come in and replicate what he does.

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
Players for the DS. In the free to £3 million range.
Maybe one or two in first team squad if the recruitment team find a bargain, otherwise a very quiet window for us and most clubs.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
There seems to be a feeling / expectation that Bissouma will be on his way, but this will leave the 1st XI woefully short of quality in the middle of the park. If we have to sell to buy then it makes far more sense that player is Ben White or Adam Webster as we have ready cover in Veltman, Clarke and Burn.

The worry right now is if we start next season without that new striker and without Bissouma then we could struggle. We have no other player with the physique, the bite, the legs who is ready to come in and replicate what he does.

I don't agree that we would be woefully short on quality in the middle of the park if we lost Biss. We still have Lallana, MacAllister, Gross, White Alzate, Moder etc etc

I do agree, that we don't have anyone who can do what he does. The best athlete there by far

I'd prefer to lose one of the others as well, but it does depend on who (if anyone) the offers come in for

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Moises is surely that player.

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
It often makes me smile, when at this time of year, many on here seem to think that we will go out and sign a marquee named striker, guaranteed to score us at least 20 goals for the coming season.

We should all know by now that that isn't how TB works, an Manyd that's even if he is in a position to spend mega bucks, in the present Covid climate. Many other clubs will be in exactly the same position as us at the moment, and l foresee very few players changing clubs for an extortionate amount of money.

In the latter part of thius season we have managed very well with the squad that we have, and l see no reason at all why the board will want to bring in very much new blood at all.

At last,the voice of reason.

The sense of entitlement some of our fans have concerning strikers is astonishing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here