Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Realistic hope for the future

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
In the next two years I hope for promotion.

In the next three to four years I hope we can establish ourselves in the championship.

In the next five years I hope we can be towards the top of the championship.

In the next seven to eight years I hope we can win promotion to the premiership.

In my life I want to see us play a European match OR win a cup.

Bang on... I would love to see this in my liftime (I am 24).

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I think some posters here missed the first word in the thread title...

Well how do you describe "realistic" then? Would you have said 4 years ago that Hull would make the Premiership? Would that have been classed as realistic? How about Reading? West Brom ? even the likes of Portsmouth and Watford and Stoke, Wigan and Charlton.

We have to believe that reaching the Prem is possible, and as for winning a cup, we've come damn close before so why not? Getting into Europe is probably the only one I can't see ever being likely, but who knows? People are stating their hopes for a lifetime, a lifetime could be 80+ years, I guess anything is possible in that timeframe !

For me, my realistic hope for the future is to take my 3 boys and my dad to watch us in Falmer playing in a Championship team that is not looking over it's shoulder.

To emulate Wigan would be realistic (hopefully).

Their fan base is extremely small for the Premiership and yet with an astute Chairman and good manager's, they have achieved relative Premiership stability.

Potentially we can be the next 'Wigan' but to do that needs good management from the Chairman downwards - fingers crossed.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Their fan base is extremely small for the Premiership and yet with an astute Chairman and good manager's, they have achieved relative Premiership stability.

Potentially we can be the next 'Wigan' but to do that needs good management from the Chairman downwards - fingers crossed.

I'd be really really upset, not to say shocked, if we couldn't better Wigan's crowds if we had their success and that amount of money spent on decent players.

Reading have to be the club we should be emulating imo, and it will be quite possible with astute leadership.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We will hopefully find out soon how much slade has got for transfers and lets hope he spends it better then adams did

I guarantee, whatever the quality, that we won't have a team that roll over and be as clueless in leadership.

I'd be really really upset, not to say shocked, if we couldn't better Wigan's crowds if we had their success and that amount of money spent on decent players.

Reading have to be the club we should be emulating imo, and it will be quite possible with astute leadership.

It's the success I was refering to despite their poor crowds. I would like to think that in their position we would have 20k+ every week.

The Phoenix

May 20, 2009
Eagle eyed view of you...

Potentially you could be be the next Colchester too. New ground, but not doing a whole lot at all.

The Phoenix

May 20, 2009
Eagle eyed view of you...
Well how do you describe "realistic" then? Would you have said 4 years ago that Hull would make the Premiership? Would that have been classed as realistic? How about Reading? West Brom ? even the likes of Portsmouth and Watford and Stoke, Wigan and Charlton.

We have to believe that reaching the Prem is possible, and as for winning a cup, we've come damn close before so why not? Getting into Europe is probably the only one I can't see ever being likely, but who knows? People are stating their hopes for a lifetime, a lifetime could be 80+ years, I guess anything is possible in that timeframe !

For me, my realistic hope for the future is to take my 3 boys and my dad to watch us in Falmer playing in a Championship team that is not looking over it's shoulder.

What do you mean Watford and Charlton?! Watford are mid table Championship and you're playing Charlton next year! Prime examples of how great you could one day become :lolol:

How many teams who've played in league one in the past few years are gonna get promoted to the Premiership this season? erm...

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Hopefully - Playoffs.....

Realistically between 9th and 15th.

there are some big players in this division next year....Leeds, Charlton, Southampton, Norwich, MKDons, Huddersfield,. I also expect Brentford to be up there as well as

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Is your natural place in the Championship? This puts you 65th and even if you take out the clubs that only existed for a few seasons that still puts you about 60th, middle of the table in League 1.

I remember a similar table, but from a different source (can't access it now, the link is broken) which has us as 46th or there abouts - which much mre reflects our overall position - right near the top of the third tier. The table that puts us 65th actually shows are average position (right hand column) as 50th. Bearing in mind that there are eight clubs in that list above us who only played when there were only one or two divisions in the league (so bottom place was only 40th or less) that puts us in the lower to middle forties.
Championship not an unrealistic goal - perhaps with the odd Prem season squeezed in when we have a good spell.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
My first priority is that we become a Team that we can be proud of supporting again - and my sons will be happy to come to watch instead of having to be dragged along to matches.

I think a realistic aim is to become a top Championship/bottom half Premiership Club. It is no more likely that we will get into the Champions League than most of the current Premiership teams. Even Tony Bloom is unlikely to have the money to compete with a team already enjoying Champions League revenues. That is what is wrong with modern football - there will never be another Blackburn, Derby County or Nottingham Forrest type club winning the Premiership.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
We could get into Europe without going into the Premier League by winning a cup or getting to the final of one, you never know, stranger things have happened.:p

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here