Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Realistic hope for the future

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
How do people see our future. During my lifetime I would love to see us being in the position of a team like West Brom flitting between Championship and Premiership and then eventually being like Bolton consolidated in the Premiership.

My grandson Ben was 4 when we played our last game at the Goldstone and has stuck with the club despite ridicule from his mates at school now the future looks bright and perhaps he may be able to see more promotions than he has relegations and seasons of struggling.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I'd like to see us get to the Championship and stay there a couple of seasons without constantly looking back at the relegation places we're either in or just above. After that, we'll see.

Kukev31

Feb 2, 2005
Birmingham
Before I die, I'd like to see us play in Europe at least once.

Other than that, don't really mind, the ups and downs are all part of the fun.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
How do people see our future. During my lifetime I would love to see us being in the position of a team like West Brom flitting between Championship and Premiership and then eventually being like Bolton consolidated in the Premiership.

Yup, I think that is EXACTLY how I'd like us to be. The likes of Hull and Reading have shown what can be achieved, and West Brom are another decent sized club who we could realistically aspire to. Battles to go up and then STAY up from the Championship are absolutely what I dream of.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
In the next two years I hope for promotion.

In the next three to four years I hope we can establish ourselves in the championship.

In the next five years I hope we can be towards the top of the championship.

In the next seven to eight years I hope we can win promotion to the premiership.

In my life I want to see us play a European match OR win a cup.

Sounds about right, and it's not often I say that about something you've posted.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
In the next three to four years I hope we can establish ourselves in the championship.

In the next seven to eight years I hope we can win promotion to the premiership.

That is what I would like for Ben but in my case as I am 66 years old not so sure although hopefully I should see 8 years.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Our 'natural place' in the footballing order of things is in the second tier (stadia and infrastructure permitting). Whereas at the moment, the Withdean handicap means that our natural place is in the 3rd tier and the championship is a bonus, once Falmer is delivered expectations will move up one tier.

Going a step further than we did in '83 and beating Man Utd to win the FA Cup at Wembley is possibly my all time ambition. But to become an established Premiership side is a very big ask for a club that has spent most of its history in the 3rd division. And in a way, I think it's more fun to be a yo-yo club like West Brom than to be perrenial 'also-rans' like, say, Middlesbrough, Blackburn or Bolton.

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London

So close to achieving an Albion lifetime ambition this season - if only we'd beaten Luton...

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I think Hull and Reading are both good example of what it is possible to achieve for a club our size and I hope we can follow their example. Blooms investment hopefully give us the opportunity to fulfill that ambition.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm not that bothered about reaching the Premiership, certainly not to be the whipping boys. I much much preferred our years in Div 3 and 2 before our rise to the top flight. I think I'd rather see us as a decent team in the Championship personally. Although once there and if we were challenging it would be very hard not to want a crack at the top flight I accept. But my ambitionsat the moment are limited to watching a good Championship side playing attractive football and taking 6 points off Palace three years on the bounce....

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Our 'natural place' in the footballing order of things is in the second tier (stadia and infrastructure permitting). Whereas at the moment, the Withdean handicap means that our natural place is in the 3rd tier and the championship is a bonus, once Falmer is delivered expectations will move up one tier.

Going a step further than we did in '83 and beating Man Utd to win the FA Cup at Wembley is possibly my all time ambition. But to become an established Premiership side is a very big ask for a club that has spent most of its history in the 3rd division. And in a way, I think it's more fun to be a yo-yo club like West Brom than to be perrenial 'also-rans' like, say, Middlesbrough, Blackburn or Bolton.

Is your natural place in the Championship? This puts you 65th and even if you take out the clubs that only existed for a few seasons that still puts you about 60th, middle of the table in League 1.

Statistics - Football365 News

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Is your natural place in the Championship? This puts you 65th and even if you take out the clubs that only existed for a few seasons that still puts you about 60th, middle of the table in League 1.

Our natural place has been yo-yoing between league 2 and League 1, we need to stay in the Championship for 10-15 years before that changes overall. We really haven't spent much time there so it can hardly be our natural level

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
I would like to see us in the Championship playing the Palarse, which a view to promotion within 5 years.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Play offs at least this season (that is what I expected last so no real change) and then when we eventually get to the championship a bit of consolidation before being in and around the play offs a few years after that. If the stupid premiership 2 idea comes around we have to be top half of the championship to be in that

throbinson

Feb 18, 2009
Shropshire
Love to see us in europe and to win a cup, as for the next two years it would be nice to get promoted, then falmer would be full every game

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008

In my second para I acknowledged that we have spent more of our history in the 3rd division than any other. But to me, 'natural place' is more than just historical track record, it's about where, realistically, we should be, given support, infrastructure and so on . Also worth noting that in the last 30 years, we have spent half of our time in the top 2 divisions, so even with our very recent troubles, it is fair to argue that our position in modern football is somewhat stronger than over our history as a whole.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here