Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] REALISTIC departures for next season?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I don't think it will be easy to sell any of our players, not just some in the current economic climate, maybe that's a good thing though, in that they will be very few teams indeed who will be tempted, or indeed financially able, to bid for the likes of Bissouma, White, or any of the players that we will be deperate to keep.

I agree. I think that people who think there'll be a mass clear-out are mistaken; we're going to keep a lot of players. There's a lot of talk about Biss going, however, and I think it's likely he'll go.

I can see us selling Locadia (I thought a deal had already been agreed) and Gyökeres, but we're not going to send Connolly out on loan and get rid of Andone and Tau. That would leave us with three strikers: Maupay, Zequiri and Welbeck (if we renew his contract). We're not going to start a season with a 30-year-old with a history of injury and a kid who's not yet started a league game.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Tau- Not good enough from the way he has faded from the scene since he joined. Sold

People keep saying this.

But he’s played 2 games? I mean, you could well be right. But I’m not sure I can judge Tau from what I’ve seen so far. He looked very dangerous at City.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
That looks about right with one concern. Still nobody has mentioned Sánchez. It may not be long at this rate before other teams start sniffing around. Hopefully too early for next season.

Sanchez signed a new contract [emoji123]

Very smart business from the club. Of course if someone comes in with silly money he could go. But that applies to most players in our squad.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
People keep saying this.

But he’s played 2 games? I mean, you could well be right. But I’m not sure I can judge Tau from what I’ve seen so far. He looked very dangerous at City.

I agree, but he's slipped down the pecking order. I mean it's always Ali J, who gets the final 90 seconds of a match instead of Percy

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I think the ‘at risk’ list is as follows:

Ryan
Walton
Clarke
Duffy
White
Kazukolovas
Yapi
Clarke
Karbovnik (loan)
Østigård
Bernardo
Baluta
Molumby
Bissouma
Pröpper
Richards
Tau
Jahanbakhsh
Andone
Izquierdo
Locadia
Gwargis
Connolly (loan)
Gyökeres

Probably missed a few!

If the intention was to ship Karbownik out on loan, then we wouldn't we have recalled him from Legia in January, would we? I'd be surprised if he's not seen as Solly's back up (and challenger) once he's fully integrated into Potter's system.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Surprised no one has mentioned Trossard.

He's young and plays in a game changing position that larger clubs could afford to have as a sub/squad player. He's now pretty experienced in the Prem and since he bulked up, his all round contribution has improved. Reckon a few decent clubs might fancy him and reckon he might fancy it too.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Blimey. Based on this thread we should just about to be able to cobble together a 5-a-side team next season, so long as we register Dan Ashworth and Hope Powell as players.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
People keep saying this.

Exactly, give the poor bloke a chance, you can tell less than nothing after only two games, l'd say a player needs a run of at least half a dozen before you can tell anything about him at all.

Plus of course, it cost us a lot of time, money, and inconvenience to finally get him into the country, and being loaned out in Belgium and Holland to get him a work permit.

We won't be giving up on him yet a while l feel sure.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I personally would like this type of discussion left until after the season has finished if I were a player on the fringes the thought that the fans were advocating my departure would not be very encouraging

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I personally would like this type of discussion left until after the season has finished if I were a player on the fringes the thought that the fans were advocating my departure would not be very encouraging

I'm sure that players are hardened to that, it's part of what goes with the job. Fans are always going to question their performances, or their birthright, when things don't do well. What is said on here about them is the least of their worries.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
First thing that needs to be said is that it is very difficult to sell players, like we saw last summer when Ali J was offered to AZ (the Dutch team, not the gull) ...

Well, the club did put out feelers but as he didn't fancy doing yard work in 110F heat I wasn't interested.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
So where does recent events leave us here?

Are our big names more or less likely, (or just as likely) to head off

My view before was that the lack of action in the January transfer window was indicative of the big 6 clubs being broke due to Covid and that this would translate into a very low spending summer meaning we had a much better than normal chance of keeping our best talent.

However, it could have been they were keeping their powder dry for the ESL windfall they thought they were getting.

Anyway, my view is reinforced. I believe most of the top clubs are now seriously teetering financially and this will affect the trickle down of transfer money.

This is good in a way as it means that there will be a smaller pool of clubs spending the sort of money needed to prize our best players, so more chance of keeping them

But it's bad for clubs without PL income who rely on this money

I believe the ESL clubs have been mentally spending as if they will get this windfall. Now they won't, I believe, there will be serious belt tightening.

Chelsea and City and other petrochemical clubs will continue to spend as if nothing has happened of course. Not many of those though

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
So where does recent events leave us here?

Are our big names more or less likely, (or just as likely) to head off

My view before was that the lack of action in the January transfer window was indicative of the big 6 clubs being broke due to Covid and that this would translate into a very low spending summer meaning we had a much better than normal chance of keeping our best talent.

However, it could have been they were keeping their powder dry for the ESL windfall they thought they were getting.

Anyway, my view is reinforced. I believe most of the top clubs are now seriously teetering financially and this will affect the trickle down of transfer money.

This is good in a way as it means that there will be a smaller pool of clubs spending the sort of money needed to prize our best players, so more chance of keeping them

But it's bad for clubs without PL income who rely on this money

I believe the ESL clubs have been mentally spending as if they will get this windfall. Now they won't, I believe, there will be serious belt tightening.

Chelsea and City and other petrochemical clubs will continue to spend as if nothing has happened of course. Not many of those though

Really? Not in January, which was a tiny transfer window.
And last summer it was only Chelsea that went large IIRC, and there was a separate reason for that.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
A large clearout freeing up wages for 4+ singings :

Ryan
Walton
Duffy
White
Burn
Bernardo
Bissouma
Pröpper
Băluţa
Izquierdo
Jahanbakhsh
Andone
Tau
Locadia
Connolly
Gyökeres

Mac Allister is also a surprising "maybe" in that he only has 2 more years on his contract and we won't want him running that too far down before selling.

Good God, the training complex is going to look like the Marie Celeste once that lot have gone, at that rate we'll only have enough players to enter a five a side league, never mind the Premiership.

I missed out Mlakar from the list as well.

But with Clarke, Ostigård, Molumby ?, Khadra, and Richards to come back we'd only need another 3/4 new signings.

Last edited:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Really? Not in January, which was a tiny transfer window.
And last summer it was only Chelsea that went large IIRC, and there was a separate reason for that.

You're right in terms of transfer fees. I'm thinking of clubs like Barca offering Messi a ridiculous contract. I don't think they would have done that without believing they were going to enter the ESL.

I believe Barca and Real are in serious danger of folding in the next couple of years. I would be surprised if they bought anyone for more than £10m this summer.

My guess is that super transfers like Haaland, Kane and Bissouma will have to wait a year or two for clubs to have a better idea of their finances in the post covid, non ESL world

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here