Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reading's first "goal" yesterday.....

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Steve Coppell showed his class as a manager and a person again by saying he'd have no objections if the FA had ordered a replay...if only he was still here.

*nostalgic sigh*

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Bobby's goal away to Bradford a few years ago was simalar
At least his goal was controversial beacuse it may or may not have crossed the line, at least it was "in" the goal. That Reading one is a shocker of the highest order. If Copell is so holy now, why wasn't he on Saturday, and why didn't he tell his players to allow Watford to score. Oh well, bring on the video replays, that's what I say.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Steve Coppell showed his class as a manager and a person again by saying he'd have no objections if the FA had ordered a replay...if only he was still here.

*nostalgic sigh*

I would tend to agree with your last point, but we would never have received £1.5m for Virgo and that was possibly a priceless bit of business? Certainly the best manager we have had in the modern era (1990 onwards).

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Talk of a replay is absolute bollocks. It was a human mistake (albeit a bit special!). What happens if say a player misses a penalty? As he's made a mistake should the game get replayed? And what then if the keeper should have saved it?

Players make countless mistakes every single game but God help the ref if he gets something wrong!

At least his goal was controversial beacuse it may or may not have crossed the line, at least it was "in" the goal. That Reading one is a shocker of the highest order. If Copell is so holy now, why wasn't he on Saturday, and why didn't he tell his players to allow Watford to score. Oh well, bring on the video replays, that's what I say.

They could give Watford a goal start in the return leg I suppose. Unlikely to happen though.

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
Reading aught to be finned heavily and lose points, this is serious un sportsman like behaviour.

I remember the Seagulls Electronic Eleven playing at Victoria Park (Leicester behind the uni) in the Internet Football fans tourno a few years back. We were getting beat and the other team (can't remember which one probably Birmingham City) had a shot at goal and Bob Gear attempted a headed clearance on the line. The ball went straight up and it wasn't clear (no nets) if the ball went over the bar or in the goal. The ref asked Bob if it was a goal or not, now following the Reading example Bob should have said it was over the bar, he didn't like a true sportsman he confirmed that it was in fact a goal.

Honesty has gone out of the game and it is a real shame, but then with anything when it becomes big money it gets nasty.

Exmouth Seagull

Sep 11, 2003
Reading should have conceded a goal at the 2nd half kick-off.

I agree, was it Yeovil, who stood aside and let their opponents score in a match from the kick-off a couple of seasons ago after the ball kicked back to the keeper after an injury accidentally went in?

Its too late now though, the goal has to stand, a replay would set an impossible precedent.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Quote from Stephen Hunt:...

Reading winger Stephen Hunt was bemused by the decision but tried to alleviate the blame from referee Atwell.

Hunt said: "It was a screamer! No, it was probably the worst decision I have ever witnessed.

"We can't do anything about it. It's not our mistake, but what can you do? You can't say 'no ref, it wasn't in'.

yes you could, it called sportsmanship , wanker

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here