Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reading v. Brighton & Hove Albion (Official Thread)

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
We are in a world of shit, but on the bright side it might be a blessing in disguise. This could be just the kick up the arse MM needs to have a bit of a clearout and get in a left back and a striker. All the teams around us lost and we are still in a position to turn things around.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
We handed it to them with the formation, may as well have ran out holding a giant white flag. Great to see the extent of McGhee's ambitions are to lose narrowly now.

Any idiot could see that formation was going to fail - playing a 5'4" striker on his own up front is lunacy, and unsuprisingly it kept coming back at us. Elphick was leagues out of his depth, yet McGhee left him on to save his own pride and he ended up getting sent off. When he finally brought a striker on to support Knight, we started to look okay, but it was far, far too late. Another fantastic tactical f*** up by our esteemed manager.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Gritt23 said:
Shit happens. Reading are a very good side who are marching very confidently to the Premiership. We on the other hand are a side struggling at the other end of the table, needing everyone (including us!) to be pulling together, and at our best to fight our way to survival.

Throw in a sending off, and of course it turns into a demolition. As someone pointed out yesterday, we were 8-1 at the bookies to win that game, so fair to say we didn't ever have much of a chance. Some games you just have to accept you have been beaten by a far better side and move on.

Home games with Hull, QPR and Millwall, now they are the games that will decide our season, not a defeat (albeit a bad one) away to the best team in the league.

Just come back

good post, nail on head. We NEVER expected to get anything out of that.

The one thing that pissed me off today was that we looked beaten after about 5 minutes and why the f*** was Elphick playing against the best team in the league, tactics wise Mcghee f***ed up.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Repugnant Toad said:
We handed it to them with the formation, may as well have ran out holding a giant white flag. Great to see the extent of McGhee's ambitions are to lose narrowly now.

Any idiot could see that formation was going to fail - playing a 5'4" striker on his own up front is lunacy, and unsuprisingly it kept coming back at us. Elphick was leagues out of his depth, yet McGhee left him on to save his own pride and he ended up getting sent off. When he finally brought a striker on to support Knight, we started to look okay, but it was far, far too late. Another fantastic tactical f*** up by our esteemed manager.

yep. Not even LI can defend Mcghee for this, what a f*** up.

Ho hum, the teams around us didn't do much better and we will have Kuipers and Mcshane back for the nexty game.

Oh and CKR MUST start the next game and should be given a few games to spark up a partnership with Knight, he looked CLASS when he came on today and the goal was incredible.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Okay, just back in after a remarkably quick get away from Reading. So here is my view of the match.

Extremely flattering for Reading.

The formation was a little suprising, however it was effective at denying Reading's wingers the space they were able to take advantage of later in the game. First half Albion created more chances and kept the very dangerous Reading at bay. Shame they didn't manage that for the entire half, and I'm sure Charlie will have nightmares about his scuffed clearance that dribbled over the line to gift Reading the lead.

The only other thing to note in the first half was the pickiness of the Ref - and his willingness to book Albion players for the slightest touch.

I genuinely believe that had we been able to keep our shape we could have got back into the game. However the Ref then gave what, I was told by Reading fans after the match, was another soft yellow to Elphick, followed by, again what I was told by Reading fans, was a very harsh penalty. And that was that.

Colin Kazim-Richards goal was the highlight of the game, applauded by both sets of fans. I actually have to give a little grudging credit to the Reading fans as they did actually sing a bit once the forth went in, and I did find the "You should have gone Christmas shopping" song quite witty.

Bad day at the office.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
I didn't think the system did much to nulify Reading's wingers - although playing two very weak full-backs obviously didn't help - Little and Convey tore us to pieces even while we had eleven. I would have thought doubling up against them in a 4-4-2 would have worked more effectively.

Last edited:

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Curious Orange said:
First half Albion created more chances and kept the very dangerous Reading at bay.

name ONE chance we created in that first half?!!? we were second best the whole time and until CKR came on we were utterly toothless upfront

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Hanneman mad three saves in the first half, they were all fairly tame shots to be fair, but they constituted more chances than Reading had up to the time Charlie had his little moment.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Repugnant Toad said:
Our best chance was always to take the game to them - sitting back against the midfield they have was suicide.

yep. We actually looked quite good when CKR came on, upfront, we were causing them problems. In our minds we had that game lost before we kicked a ball and the defensive formation just compounded that

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
The big turning point was the minute the ref sent off Elphick and gave them a penalty.I couldn't see them clearly (I was up the other end) but I've heard they were both very dubious decisions.No suprise though as the ref was so quick to get his cards out whenever we committed offence yet didn't do anything when he saw Ingimarsson raise his hands to El-Abd.

We really didn't help ourselves though as I think McGhee made a BIG mistake with the team selection today.Putting Knight upfront by himself was never going to work and the ball just kept coming back at us.No-one expected us to get anything today and Reading have spent millions on their team but I would have really liked to have seen us have a proper go at them.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
I disagree with the point that we handed Reading the initiative from the start. McGhee tried to counter the effect of the two Reading wingers by reducing the space available with his formation. Problem was it failed to work and just pushed the two wide forward players back leaving no support for Leon up front.

The first goal was a couple of bad defensive errors, Frutos mainly to blame for letting a Reading winger brush past him on the byline but even then the ball was going nowhere until Oatway's rather embarrasing intervention. Until then we seemed to be okay putting together a couple of good passing moves forward and trying to keep the ball on the ground.

Thought the sending off was a bit harsh, Kitson seemed to be looking for it and ran into Elphick whilst running in the opposite direction to where the ball was going. Couldn't see the penalty but the Reading crowd only half-heartedly appealed for it. These two events occuring almost simaltanouesly seemed to knock the stuffing out of us. After that we chased the game tried to go forward and left large holes at the back where their two wingers murdered us.

Royal Fleet

Oct 2, 2003
View from a Reading fan then.

I agree with the comments about your formation. The three across the back plus the two full backs on our wingers, was very negative, but then given our respective positions and the fact that we were at home you can understand his thinking.

The ref was rather pedantic, but then most of the bookings were justified. They were all for late tackles. I think that Knight's kind of summed it up when he went in late on Shorey when we were in our half. There was just no point. It was as though a side that normally relies on it's footballing strengths, had been told to go out and do a 'Bolton', and to be honest were just clumsy rather than phyiscal. You were always going to lose a man at some point and it just happened sooner rather than later. Penalty was generous, but I think the space we then had against your 10 men probably would have told in due course anyway

First half was tight, and for the second week in a row it took a bit of luck to take the lead, but once Reading have the lead, we have the pace to break on teams.

Atmosphere was quiet. I expected you to bring more, and there was a strange atmosphere from the home fans.

Great goal from your chap, and the chant of 'at least we scored a proper goal' brought a smile to my face.

Good luck for the rest of the season, unfortunately I think you are going to need it.

El Turi said:
The big turning point was the minute the ref sent off Elphick and gave them a penalty.I couldn't see them clearly (I was up the other end) but I've heard they were both very dubious decisions.No suprise though as the ref was so quick to get his cards out whenever we committed offence yet didn't do anything when he saw Ingimarsson raise his hands to El-Abd.

We really didn't help ourselves though as I think McGhee made a BIG mistake with the team selection today.Putting Knight upfront by himself was never going to work and the ball just kept coming back at us.No-one expected us to get anything today and Reading have spent millions on their team but I would have really liked to have seen us have a proper go at them.

Fully agree with that.

It was disappointing that McGhee abandoned his effective counterattcking system that we have played relatively successfully away from home.

That said, I'm not going to be too critical - the opening half-hour went to plan and Reading did not look that threatening. It all unravelled with an appalling defensive error by Frutos which was compounded by Charlie. McGhee can only design the system/gameplan, he can't legislate for unprofessional cock-ups like that. Elphick betrayed his inexperience and then the ref put the nail in our coffin with a shit pen.

I would expect McGhee will hold his hand up on this one and take his share of the blame, but he will also put this day swiftly behind him.

I doubt if we will see this 5-4-1 system again this season, we won't give another team such exaggerated respect.

E

enigma

Knight up front on his own is an awful decision, much as I still support McGhee.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Trigger said:
Reading had 5 shots on target and scored 5 goals?

I thought they had four and Charlie Oatway got the first !

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Royal Fleet said:
It was as though a side that normally relies on it's footballing strengths, had been told to go out and do a 'Bolton', and to be honest were just clumsy rather than phyiscal.

Very true. Embarassing at times.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
On reflection it may that the central defence of the Albion is not currently mobile enough and MM rally did not have any option in playing an extra central defender?

I see Adam El El-Abd as the replacement for Guy Butters not his partner?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here