Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reading - True Plastic Fans

red star portslade

Jul 8, 2012
Hove innit
Their support wasn't that great for our away match last year, and it should have been, it was boxing day after all!

Now the stadium is packed.

Well, poor Stoke having to put up with that shit announcer before the match.

I've got family who live in Reading and since the 70's i've gone to a couple of their games every season. Their fanbase is much smaller than the albions, the town is a real Chelsea hotbed.

During periods of relative success in the 80s and 90s, 12,000 would be a big gate. It didn't help that Elm Park was a charmless shithole and i always came away thinking their fans were shit too!

I don't think it's a case of them having plastic fans, i think it's more of a case of locals who support other clubs, wanting to watch Premier league football on their own doorstep. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion, i know lot's of people who have season tickets at the amex who follow other teams.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Cheers. I remember the 30,000 plus crowds we use to get under Mullery in the divsion we are in now. Never surpassed that in the top division. Towards the end we were getting 9 figure crowds.

I am not saying this will happen again because some things have improved since those bad old days. Better facilities and less hooliganism. (Not so good for some of us, eh Das?).

We can't take anything for granted. Having said that, I still think we will do well.

Fitting a billion into the terraces must have been a bit of a squeeze.

It was a nightmare, massive queues for the bogs at half-time and they ran out of pies :(

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Of course! I think we actually played well Boxing Day, they just got a bit lucky.

I think we managed 1 shot on target, they controlled the game throughout and we never looked dangerous going forward apart from a single 5-10 minute spell in the first half. There was no luck involved, we were just shit.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I've got family who live in Reading and since the 70's i've gone to a couple of their games every season. Their fanbase is much smaller than the albions, the town is a real Chelsea hotbed.

During periods of relative success in the 80s and 90s, 12,000 would be a big gate. It didn't help that Elm Park was a charmless shithole and i always came away thinking their fans were shit too!

I don't think it's a case of them having plastic fans, i think it's more of a case of locals who support other clubs, wanting to watch Premier league football on their own doorstep. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion, i know lot's of people who have season tickets at the amex who follow other teams.
12000 was a massive gate for them back then,really surprised they couldn't sell out yesterday:glare:
To think they want to expand to 40k:DYour right though it's probably the biggest hotbed for chelsea fans outside london.They,ve done very well as a club though so won't knock them to much.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Fitting a billion into the terraces must have been a bit of a squeeze.

Did I put 9? Lol. Should be 5 of course. I was thinking of the 9,000 crowds. The Stella must have been kicking in last night.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I think we managed 1 shot on target, they controlled the game throughout and we never looked dangerous going forward apart from a single 5-10 minute spell in the first half. There was no luck involved, we were just shit.
We played o.k but as usual had no end product,we did have 9 players injured though.
3-0 was a bit flattering me thinks.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

krakatoa

Jan 21, 2010
HOVE
Reading averaged less than 4,000 in the 90's, in the old 3rd division. If it wasn't for Madeskji's money they'd still be a tiny club.

There should be separate leagues for different categories of supporter. Plastic fans (who never go to any games) should be allowed to watch the Albion compete in the European Champions League, on Sky Sports. Real supporters (who haven't missed a game since 1991) will be happy to go and watch us play, with a groundshare at Eastbourne, in the Conference South. Those in between will have access to Championship games at the Amex and can catch up on Saturday evenings, by watching The Football League Show.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here