Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reading (H) moved back to Saturday 25th Feb

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Pleased with this change. It's always a logistical nightmare getting to a Friday night game.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This is just bullshit. I wait until the tv games are announced, book my transport and accommodation, only for it to be shifted a second time. Will it move again ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I just wish they would stop moving the ****ing games so I can plan the flights I book home... Already had to pay the re-booking fee twice so far and I can't see it getting any better!

Same here. I remember seeing a FL or Sky piece saying supporters should wait until each raft of TV games is announced before making plans. Well, I have done this and am now being penalized for following their advice. Moving a game once is one thing. Moving it a second time so quickly is frustrating, costly, and shows gross incompetenance.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A reminder of what Paul Barber said when this was originally re-scheduled to the Friday night...

"I fully appreciate the frustration. As I've explained previously, we don’t get a choice of TV slots. They are allocated to us. We are part of a collective agreement against which we are contractually obliged to deliver the games requested by the EFL and Sky. There will be a whole host of reasons why we are allocated certain TV slots over others at any give time – some of them will be police-related (both for our club and for other home clubs in a given week-end), some may be fixture issues for the clubs selected for a particular game either side of the televised game, or there may be other operational reasons for other slots not being offered to us to which we may not be privy.

Unfortunately, with regards to our own operational planning, a Saturday live TV slot doesn’t necessarily help us to help fans in a rail dispute period. Typically, we want - and we need - access to additional park and rides sites that are likely to be available to us on a Friday evening but not on a Saturday (for example, we couldn’t utilise Sainsbury’s West Hove on a Saturday afternoon/evening). Similarly, we need access to more buses. These are harder to come by in this city on a Saturday afternoon than on a Friday evening. We also benefit from generally quieter roads (post match) on a Friday evening (meaning busses can make faster loops) than we would on a Saturday afternoon.

We’ve done a lot of research in to season ticket holder “no shows” and, rail dispute aside, there is only a marginal difference between a Friday evening and Saturday afternoon. Our live TV games also tend to boost match day ticket sales which, along with good away support, is why our live TV games have attracted some of our highest home attendances this season."

Thread here: http://nortr3nixy.nimpr.uk/showt...ading-at-home-moved-to-Friday-24th-Feb-for-TV

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A reminder of what Paul Barber said when this was originally re-scheduled to the Friday night...

"I fully appreciate the frustration. As I've explained previously, we don’t get a choice of TV slots. They are allocated to us. We are part of a collective agreement against which we are contractually obliged to deliver the games requested by the EFL and Sky. There will be a whole host of reasons why we are allocated certain TV slots over others at any give time – some of them will be police-related (both for our club and for other home clubs in a given week-end), some may be fixture issues for the clubs selected for a particular game either side of the televised game, or there may be other operational reasons for other slots not being offered to us to which we may not be privy.

Unfortunately, with regards to our own operational planning, a Saturday live TV slot doesn’t necessarily help us to help fans in a rail dispute period. Typically, we want - and we need - access to additional park and rides sites that are likely to be available to us on a Friday evening but not on a Saturday (for example, we couldn’t utilise Sainsbury’s West Hove on a Saturday afternoon/evening). Similarly, we need access to more buses. These are harder to come by in this city on a Saturday afternoon than on a Friday evening. We also benefit from generally quieter roads (post match) on a Friday evening (meaning busses can make faster loops) than we would on a Saturday afternoon.

We’ve done a lot of research in to season ticket holder “no shows” and, rail dispute aside, there is only a marginal difference between a Friday evening and Saturday afternoon. Our live TV games also tend to boost match day ticket sales which, along with good away support, is why our live TV games have attracted some of our highest home attendances this season."

Thread here: http://nortr3nixy.nimpr.uk/showt...ading-at-home-moved-to-Friday-24th-Feb-for-TV

I think Barber has some explaining to do. And an apology will not go amiss. And I really struggle to believe the club have absolutely no say in being messed around like this.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Great, it's the Brighton half marathon weekend, so can now come down on the Saturday rather than the Friday and save a night's hotel cost.

#BarberIn

Damn and blast. I was pleased it had been moved to the Friday to give me time to recover for the Brighton half on Sunday. 5:30 kickoff is even worse from that point of view than the original 3pm time.
#BarberOut

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Damn and blast. I was pleased it had been moved to the Friday to give me time to recover for the Brighton half on Sunday. 5:30 kickoff is even worse from that point of view than the original 3pm time.
#BarberOut

It's #BarberOut when it comes to his FL position. He'll never totally side with the supporters all the time he's on their board as well.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I think Barber has some explaining to do. And an apology will not go amiss. And I really struggle to believe the club have absolutely no say in being messed around like this.

By all means have a pop at PB over the quality of the 1901 catering, but on this he is has no influence. I loathe Murdoch as much as anyone, but the EFL have signed all their rights away with the current TV deal, and we have to take the consequences.

I'm sure that if we were 14th in the table the issue of regularly being on live TV would be less of an issue, so it's an unfortunate side effect of being successful this season. This match is potentially 2nd (could be 1st!) v 3rd, so you can see the appeal from a broadcaster's perspective.

If we are promoted we can return to being a sideshow from the TV company's perspective.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
By all means have a pop at PB over the quality of the 1901 catering, but on this he is has no influence. I loathe Murdoch as much as anyone, but the EFL have signed all their rights away with the current TV deal, and we have to take the consequences.

I'm sure that if we were 14th in the table the issue of regularly being on live TV would be less of an issue, so it's an unfortunate side effect of being successful this season. This match is potentially 2nd (could be 1st!) v 3rd, so you can see the appeal from a broadcaster's perspective.

If we are promoted we can return to being a sideshow from the TV company's perspective.

As I said, I struggle to believe the club has absolutely zero say in games being shunted around multiple times. Am I really supposed to believe that Sky can ring up the club whenever they fell and move a game a second time? Especially when the club have stated in very clear terms how difficult it is to work their Saturday travel plan? This is how I feel. I'm happy for someone at the club to explain to me how this can be allowed to happen.

I have had to re-arrange my work, book flights and a hotel for the original move. I followed aforementioned advice and waited for the tv games to be announced. I don't mind doing this once. But twice shows incompetence on someone's part. What has changed since the original announcement? I have every right to be ****ed off with this. And feel an explanation should be given.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
This is how I feel.

It's a contractual entitlement. The club have zero say in the matter.

Look at Manchester United in the FA Cup, they have had FIFTY FIVE consecutive FA Cup matches moved for the convenience of TV, and it theory they have more fans being inconvenienced than the Albion, as it's a 200 mile journey to get to OT for home games.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

You seem to be answering a complaint about us being televised. I don't believe that is HT's issue.

I think his beef is the game is now being moved for a second time.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
You seem to be answering a complaint about us being televised. I don't believe that is HT's issue.

As Morrissey once said, fair enough.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Coincidentally, the only previous fixture I can recall being moved twice, is this exact same fixture last season.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's a contractual entitlement. The club have zero say in the matter.

Look at Manchester United in the FA Cup, they have had FIFTY FIVE consecutive FA Cup matches moved for the convenience of TV, and it theory they have more fans being inconvenienced than the Albion, as it's a 200 mile journey to get to OT for home games.

You're missing my point. I don't have an issue with the game being moved originally.

And whilst Barber has stated the club has a contractual obligation to meet Sky's requests his statement was in the context of initial movements. If the deal gives Sky carte blanch to move games willy-nilly multiple times then I'd like him to say so. I struggle to believe they can move games around like this and I'm not sur you know the answer either.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
You're missing my point. I don't have an issue with the game being moved originally.

And whilst Barber has stated the club has a contractual obligation to meet Sky's requests his statement was in the context of initial movements. If the deal gives Sky carte blanch to move games willy-nilly multiple times then I'd like him to say so.

My apology.

Didn't read your OP correctly.

I suspect that if I had got my arse into gear and booked two night accommodation for that weekend I'd be equally pissed off too.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
That Man Utd statistic is truly dreadful. It really is high time the FA had a look at putting in some caveats into the way it allows fixtures to be moved.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
That Man Utd statistic is truly dreadful. It really is high time the FA had a look at putting in some caveats into the way it allows fixtures to be moved.

Loathe them or loathe them, United deliver TV audiences, so even if it a run of the mill home game against the likes of Reading (as they have for this season's 3rd round) it will be on BT/BBC as the execs only care about ratings, not the game itself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here