Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reading fans

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
RoyalAli said:
A Division 2 championship and a Simod Cup are probably the most notable, and also a division one playoff final appearance.
Perhaps our lack of tradition is one reason behind our failure to attract fans?

hmm just two Championships and one play off trophy in the last four years? What have you won?

Donny Osmond

Jul 6, 2003
A qucick question RoyalAli
(and this is not a pop)
You say your support at the Mad Stad is building, but last season your average attendance was about 1000 down from the previous season. Why?

The acoustics of the Madjet are odd - often you can't hear the opposite stands singing. There was definitely a McGhee song to the tune of the Monkees' Daydeam Believer in there somewhere by Reading.

I quite like the Reading fans to be honest, they remind me a lot of us - the attendance today was not great by them but on a sunny early August day, hardcore away supports are always going to outshine most home supports.

We were Champions of All England in 1910 RoyalAli - beat that :thumbsup:

Donny Osmond

Jul 6, 2003
You nearly reached them last year as well though.
Maybe the stats I saw included the play-off game against Wolves which was presumably a sell out and boosted the av attendance.
Or the fact that you didn't have the Albion fans last season which always boosts the av attendance.;)

Last edited:

oapdodge

Jul 15, 2003
I've said it before and have argued with Ali.So no point in going over all the old stories.
Reading fans are S**t.Not the ones who bother to turn out but the ones who hop on the band wagon when it suits.All those nice empty seats in such a glorious stadium what a waste.
They don't even have glory hunters because when they are near the play offs to get into the prem they still don't turn out.
Still it is a good day out.Why let their fans non attendance and lack of noise spoil our day out.If they didn't have the drum or the tannoy music they might have fallen to sleep.Good job they didn't have to rely on their number 13 today.

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
ok, at the end of the day.

Reading are a better team than us at the moment.
Reading have a nicer stadium than us.
Reading's fans at home, like most home fans, are rather quiet.
Our fans at home are possibly even quieter.
We have good away support.
We get to live in a nice town.
Reading fans, assuming they live there, don't get to live in a nice town.

and through all this, RoyalAli is still a dickhead.

:)

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Nice ground, shit fans. End of chat!

If only we had so much brownfield site in Brighton. You know we'd get much better use out of a similar stadium.

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
To be honest most of didn't care about Reading before the Div 2 championship season, much like most of us don't give two hoots about Leyton Orient now. They are just a passing annoyance. I do like going to the MadStad though. I don't much care that Reading fans don't make much noise, we always have a good crack in our stand. Isn't that all that matters?

I was pissed off that they even hijacked our music for when they scored though. Don't you have any groups in Reading that could supply? :censored:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
To be fair I was two rows behind Beefy and I did hear the Reading fans singing to McGhee.

There were one or two other songs but as we are so vocal for 90 minutes and have such great support then should we really expect other teams to be as good.

Reality check though, at home we are deadly quiet. I sit/stand in H block and the only really good support we gave the team was the home leg of the playoff semi's .
The atmosphere at that game was brilliant.

At other times we have had difficulty getting people to 'Stand up if you want Falmer'

Withdean and atmosphere just do not go together.

Last edited:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Yorkie said:
Reality check though, at home we are deadly quiet. I sit/stand in H block and the only really good support we gave the team was the home leg of the playoff semi's .
The atmosphere at that game was brilliant.

At other times we have had difficulty getting people to 'Stand up if you want Falmer'

Withdean and atmosphere just do not go together.

As ever the voice of reason, and spot on Yorkie.

Home fans rarely make as much noise as away fans. This is especially true with Albion as we do have a pretty damn good away following.

As an aside, I did hear Reading sing a few times on the radio, but only after each goal.....but get rid of that shite music when you score. It's possibly the single most annoying thing in football at the moment. I'm sooooo glad we don't do it.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
RoyalAli said:
Thanks for being realistic Bozza.

I think Brighton fans tend to have a very inflated view of what thier support is like.
At most away games I go to the home support are very quiet, and away fans do tend to be the hardcore and are often the leaders of the singing.
Brighton were VERY quiet at the Withdean when I went, and I was sitting amongst you.
Pot calling kettle black I think..

That said, I do think you were one of the better supports I have seen at Reading in the last couple of years.

Our issue is not how poor home fans perform(Withdean is truly horrendous) but the hilarious number of your fans that attended !
I can't think of many,if any, clubs playing such an important match as this,on the first day of the season,in great weather, at a truly smart stadium turning out in such crappy numbers.A real eye opener.

Still,i'm even more staggered we didn't sell all ours.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here