Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reading away - Boxing Day

xbakerbob

Aug 4, 2011
Basingstoke
Tickets bought and only 15 mins up the road for me and quite happy to have a day off the booze by then.

More like a home game wish the Amex was that close.

Just got to try and get the day off now :wink::wink: :sick::sick::sick: me thinks

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Its going to have to be drink-driving all the way for me :wink:

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Boxing day matches are fine if you live within 30 mins of the ground but to spend a chunk of the day attending an away match does not seem fair on other family members, does it?

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
Boxing day matches are fine if you live within 30 mins of the ground but to spend a chunk of the day attending an away match does not seem fair on other family members, does it?

-------

I live in Haywards Heath and reckon I can get home from Reading in just over an hour. So no worse than a home match for me

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Longer ago than that but you are right, it is a recent'ish occurance.

Incidentally a warning. Several pubs normally visited tend to shut on boxing day and there will be few if any buses running. Last year reading buses offered their drivers such shit payment for working that none of them agreed to work, not even for the special hire services which lots of pubs run to the ground. Taxis will be few and far between and will be charging a damn sight more than normal so expect to pay at least £15 for the taxi ride to the game from the town centre.

One pub which should be open and is quite welcoming to away fans is the Nags Head on Russell Street - decent beer and cider as well for those who like that sort of stuff. Not sure if the Hobgoblin, now renamed incidentally, will be open or not. Sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't. The Allied Arms in St Mary Butts usually does open boxing day for a while at least.
Yeah i used to rent a flat in russell street a fair few years ago,plenty of prostitutes hanging around back then.Its a bit out the way mind for fans although only 5 mins from the town centre.

Can't believe that tiny little allied arms is still going,you can't swing a cat in that place although the beer garden is a reasonable size.Im sure plenty of pubs will be open in town anyway.

I'll be drinking in town first like most and its nice to be 1 mile away from town:drool:

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
that's cos BHA have to buy the tickets off Reading. if we sell out the initial 2,000 (hahahahahahahaa no chance) then Reading can sell BHA the other half of the allocation.

Of course we'll sell out.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

I spend days and days on end over Christmas with other family members. Getting away to the football for a few hours on Boxing Day is a precious and welcome release. *

* accept when you drive all the way to some shithole in east London only to find the game is off

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I spend days and days on end over Christmas with other family members. Getting away to the football for a few hours on Boxing Day is a precious and welcome release. *

* accept when you drive all the way to some shithole in east London only to find the game is off

This. Mrs P is quite happy to see me off to footy every Boxing Day. In fact she was quite pissed off last year as we only got as far as Patcham before turning for home again :laugh:

xbakerbob

Aug 4, 2011
Basingstoke
Best places to park reasonably close to the stadium?

Hope the weather holds out and we can actually get up there!

Parking wise, as you head into Reading on the A33 from the M4 take the first right on to the B3033 Basingstoke road for 1/2 a mile then on the left you will have the industrial estates, nothing will be open being boxing day so take a left and park up.So long as you don`t park on any yellow lines you can park virtually anywhere then a 10 min walk to the ground.

Last edited:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Plenty of people would be more than happy to get away from the family. Or some don't have a lot of family. Boxing Day football is as much a festive tradition as turkey, or leaving out a glass of whiskey for Santa, or hanging up your stocking, or photocopying your arse at the work Christmas do.
:shrug:

Parking wise, as you head into Reading on the A33 from the M4 take the first right on to the B3033 Basingstoke road for 1/2 a mile then on the left you will have the industrial estates, nothing will be open being boxing day so take a left and park up.So long as you don`t park on any yellow lines you can park virtually anywhere then a 10 min walk to the ground.

Or don't unless you want to possibly find a broken window on your return. And don't be too sure the traffic wardens won't be out either, I've seen them on boxing day before now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here