Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

RE The Large Ones Post on Ask The Club............

D

Deleted User X18H

......1) Why don't you walk I thought you were in the Preston Drove area 2) Why not get the train to Brighton then change onto London Road 3) You must be some lazy git to wait 40 mins for a bus when it takes most people 20 mins to walk the distance 4) B&H Buses are not obliged to run extra services after matches.5) Fancy a race from Withers to your shop:D

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
No, it's alright SG. I'll answer this walking bag of tragedy. HB&B - seeing as plain English passes you by, I'll spell it out for you...

1. As I said in the question, I want to go back into town. If I wanted to go straight home, I'd walk.

2. I could do, but like you, London Road Station isn't in the City Centre.

3. You think you can walk from Withdean to the pub near to my shop in 20 minutes? Go on then.

4. I know that - I said as much in the question.

5. What for? To highlight your pratishness?

Next time you want to ask a question, f*** off first. :tosser:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Is it not part of the agreement when you buy a ticket for a game that you will have the opportunity to get free public transport to and FROM the ground, irrespective of whether it makes you appear lazy. Alan may be scared of walking to the centre in the dark having upset some on here, so needs the bus which he is entitled to and it is the duty of the club and bus company combined to provide that.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Preston Park station is 15 mins stroll from Withdean and takes you into the centre of town. Easier than waiting all that time for a bus.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Preston Park station is 15 mins stroll from Withdean and takes you into the centre of town. Easier than waiting all that time for a bus.

Which is ok if you are fit & healthy!

But the point is being missed surely? Brighton & Hove buses know that we are playing at home, they know that a couple of hundred (guessing figures) will be leaving the ground at a certain time requiring a bus service to various parts of Brighton & Hove. Would it be too much to ask for a couple of extra buses?

To be fair, it doesn't happen often, mainly evening games. But when it does it's a bloody pain :angry:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I live off the Lewes Road. I have a 5 year old and an 8 year old who get very tired in evening games. It is NOT an option for us to walk home. Neither is it an option to get the train.

I need to take the bus. I've paid for it in my ticket. We had to walk home after the Millwall game.

That level of service isn't good enough from Brighton buses.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
An alternative might be to intersect with the 5B bus route at the top of Surrenden Crescent. You'd have to get your timings right, cos there's only one every 30 minutes at that time of night. But they're pretty punctual and you can guarantee you wouldn't have to queue.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Which is ok if you are fit & healthy!

But the point is being missed surely? Brighton & Hove buses know that we are playing at home, they know that a couple of hundred (guessing figures) will be leaving the ground at a certain time requiring a bus service to various parts of Brighton & Hove. Would it be too much to ask for a couple of extra buses?

To be fair, it doesn't happen often, mainly evening games. But when it does it's a bloody pain :angry:

I'm nearly a pensioner and I can walk for 15 mins. The Large One is the same age as my son.
The trains are valid for the travel voucher so why not use them instead of the bus. Of course it doesn't help if you are going to Lewes Rd but nobody mentioned Lewes Rd. The debate was about Withdean and the centre of town.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Here's a link that - assuming you have a new-fangled mobile - should mean you never have to wait for a bus after the game again:

Use the link then click on Real Time Bus Information - works a treat

http://www.citytransport.org.uk/

Of course, the club could press for a real-time information board to be installed at that bus stop. Wouldn't make the bus come any quicker, but would allow people to make an informed decision to hang around or not.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I'm nearly a pensioner and I can walk for 15 mins. The Large One is the same age as my son.
The trains are valid for the travel voucher so why not use them instead of the bus. Of course it doesn't help if you are going to Lewes Rd but nobody mentioned Lewes Rd. The debate was about Withdean and the centre of town.

It's great that you are so healthy!

BUT, you are still missing the point.

It's not a train voucher, it's a travel voucher and why should we have to walk (if able to) fifteen minutes to a train station when the bus stop is two minutes away?

Anyway, my car will be parked within the Withdean No Parking Zone (which is not enforceable legally) for future evening games and indeed for Saturday games if the situation deteriorates.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

Sorry for daring to bring in Lewes Rd FFS. Of course, there should be separate buses for us that need to go East of the city....and a separate thread, of course.

Jeez.......I despair.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Sorry for daring to bring in Lewes Rd FFS. Of course, there should be separate buses for us that need to go East of the city....and a separate thread, of course.

Jeez.......I despair.

Don't be so precious.

Here's a link that - assuming you have a new-fangled mobile - should mean you never have to wait for a bus after the game again:

Use the link then click on Real Time Bus Information - works a treat

http://www.citytransport.org.uk/

Of course, the club could press for a real-time information board to be installed at that bus stop. Wouldn't make the bus come any quicker, but would allow people to make an informed decision to hang around or not.

Current information:-

Tongdean Lane Bottom

Route Destination Departure

5A Hangleton 24 min

5 Hangleton 54 min

5A Hangleton 21:35

5 Hangleton 22:05

5A Hangleton 22:35

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Well don't be so obtuse then. The debate is about BUSES. Or the lack of them. I'm seriously considering not going to the Gillingham game because I am not sure if buses will be there. A bus ride that I've paid for.

What do you suggest I do then, seeing as you seem to have all the answers.

Do I a) take my boys ito the game and help bring the club revenue and risk having to walk with them for 40 minutes in the freezing cold way past their bedtime

or b) Not go to the game and add to the general malaise of people giving the Albion a swerve?

Option b) became a habit for a lot of people a long time ago. Burying our heads in the sand ain't gonna help get the crowds back. Neither is denying them transport that they need and have paid for in their tickets.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Current information:-

Tongdean Lane Bottom

Route Destination Departure

5A Hangleton 24 min

5 Hangleton 54 min

5A Hangleton 21:35

5 Hangleton 22:05

5A Hangleton 22:35

There you go then. Proves the point. Armed with that information, you'd spend 15 mins walking to the Brewery Tap, quick beer, then walk across the road and hit the first bus just right. Or you'd walk to the station in 15 minutes. Or you'd call a cab.

I strongly suspect that most people - quite rightly IMHO - would think, armed with the real-time information, 'f*** THAT for a game of soldiers, there's no WAY I'm hanging around for 24 minutes in sub-zero temperatures, I'm bringing my car and I'll park less than 15 minutes from the ground. People are IMHO willing to fall in line with the Withdean Hoop Jumping thing. But asking anybody to wait in a queue for a bus for 24 minutes in these temperatures is a non-starter. The club have to address that, even if it means hiring private buses as Brighton & Plumpton & Fontwell & Goodwood racecourses somehow manage to do on a regular basis. and funnily enough, the privately-hired buses at the racecourses are the same bus company that provides the normal bus service.

EXCUSE THE CAPITAL LETTERS BUT THE ABSOLUTELY BLEEDING OBVIOUS THING TO DO IS PARK, SAY, EIGHT (PRIVATELY-HIRED FROM B&H BUSES) DOUBLE-DECKERS IN THE WITHDEAN PARK AND RIDE CAR PARK RIGHT OUTSIDE THE SPORTSMAN. WHY THE f*** IS THAT SO DIFFICULT? If the racecourses can do it - and they do, on a regular basis, then the Albion can too. IT'S NOT VERY DIFFICULT, HONEST.

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Well don't be so obtuse then. The debate is about BUSES. Or the lack of them. I'm seriously considering not going to the Gillingham game because I am not sure if buses will be there. A bus ride that I've paid for.

What do you suggest I do then, seeing as you seem to have all the answers.

Do I a) take my boys ito the game and help bring the club revenue and risk having to walk with them for 40 minutes in the freezing cold way past their bedtime

or b) Not go to the game and add to the general malaise of people giving the Albion a swerve?

Option b) became a habit for a lot of people a long time ago. Burying our heads in the sand ain't gonna help get the crowds back. Neither is denying them transport that they need and have paid for in their tickets.

Do the same as I do when I don't get the train. Drive to Preston Drove - 15 mins walk away from Withdean and OUTSIDE the exclusion zone.
The bus isn't the only option which is what I am trying to say.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Do the same as I do when I don't get the train. Drive to Preston Drove - 15 mins walk away from Withdean and OUTSIDE the exclusion zone.
The bus isn't the only option which is what I am trying to say.

I'm NOT walking my boys for 15-20 minutes in FREEZING weather at 10 o'clock at night, Yorkie. It's not fair on them and I'm not driving to Preston Drove. I live in Hanover for God's sake. It's just not economical and I'm supposed to be doing my bit for the environment.

The bus IS the only option for lots of us.

Actually, it's not. You've made my mind up for me. I'm taking the option not to go to the game. Well done Albion. 3 less fans cheering you on.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Walking keeps you warm. Your boys would be sitting in the FREEZING weather for two hours during the match if they came to Withdean so what is the difference?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here