Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Re-arranging of Sky Channels

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
From 1st Feb 2011, if you have a HD digibox and HD subscription, the HD channels will be replacing the SD channels on the EPG :clap2:

In simple terms BBC One HD will now be on 101 and BBC One will be 143; Sky Sports 1HD will be 401 and Sky Sports 1 will be 408. Makes it a lot better when they're all together

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
or you could just hit the HD tab in the planner and have them all listed together.

What gets me though is the amount of programs broadcast in HD that are not HD

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
That's good - often wondered why the HD channel wasn't the default option.

:thumbsup:

Presumably beacuse they didn't think they had enough of a critical mass for it to be logical. They must think there are enough people hooked up to HD now and hope to encourage more to go that way.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
And manually scroll through 50-odd channels?

No.

OK so first page you will have
BBC1 HD
BBC2
ITV HD
C4 HD
FIVE HD
SKY1 HD
Sky 2

Not too bad until you get to second page and virtually all the channels have no HD option, you will still be manually scanning through many more than 50 channels

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
Agreed. Even individual programmes only have to have 75% of HD material to qualify as a HD programme as well!!

What is interesting is turning on the default highlighting of true HD broadcasts and then scroll through the HD channels, Proper HD broadcasts are in orange and the rest are in white. A lot of Sky Sports is in white, most of the entertainment channels broacast SD that has been upscaled as well

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
They are also rebranding Living as Sky Living, introducing Sky Atlantic and moving them so they are all together with Sky one.

I'm not so excited, since a) I have the HD channels I watch favourited, and b) I'm familiar with the channel numbers as they are.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I put the HD channels on my favourites list, then use the blue button to scroll through them. I don't bother with all 50 of the 'HD' channels as my watching is generally BBC, Sky, SSports and the documentary channels. Better still, get a Harmony remote, and preprogram the channels you like to watch as shortcuts, no need to remember what channel number they are on.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I put the HD channels on my favourites list, then use the blue button to scroll through them. I don't bother with all 50 of the 'HD' channels as my watching is generally BBC, Sky, SSports and the documentary channels. Better still, get a Harmony remote, and preprogram the channels you like to watch as shortcuts, no need to remember what channel number they are on.

Ooooh sounds interesting. Never heard of that before

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Here's one
logitech-harmony-one-advanced-universal-remote.jpg

You can program in all your kit, TV, DVD/BLu Ray/Surround Amp/Sky/other TV, in fact anything, and it opperates them all. Also, you can program macros via the software and USB lead, so if you want to watch Sky, you push one button, it switches on your telly, changes to the relevent input (HDMI etc), switches on your Amp, changes it to the Sky input, and starts up your Sky box. Likewise it will do the same for DVD/Blu Ray, Games console etc. There is a charging cradle too so the batteries don;t go flat on you. I think well worth the cost, and it is portable, so you can have it programmed to work your telly in the bedroom, or your iPod dock eleswhere, whatever really.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
OK so first page you will have
BBC1 HD
BBC2
ITV HD
C4 HD
FIVE HD
SKY1 HD
Sky 2

Not too bad until you get to second page and virtually all the channels have no HD option, you will still be manually scanning through many more than 50 channels

Sorry to be pedantic but Sky 2 is moving to 112 in the new year :smile:

Fawkesy

Apr 11, 2009
ohh just got used to selecting 408 instead of 401 ect... normal service to be resumed then.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Here's one
logitech-harmony-one-advanced-universal-remote.jpg

You can program in all your kit, TV, DVD/BLu Ray/Surround Amp/Sky/other TV, in fact anything, and it opperates them all. Also, you can program macros via the software and USB lead, so if you want to watch Sky, you push one button, it switches on your telly, changes to the relevent input (HDMI etc), switches on your Amp, changes it to the Sky input, and starts up your Sky box. Likewise it will do the same for DVD/Blu Ray, Games console etc. There is a charging cradle too so the batteries don;t go flat on you. I think well worth the cost, and it is portable, so you can have it programmed to work your telly in the bedroom, or your iPod dock eleswhere, whatever really.

Cheap one here (no screen, mind)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What is the general opinion of HD is that much better to warrant the money each month. I am trying to reduce my expenditure each month and as such am considering stopping sky and replacing the sky + with a freeview recorder from Argos for £99 which means at Sky rates it will pay for itself in 2 - 3 months.

I do not subscribe to Sky Sports 1 as I will not help premiership clubs get more money. I know I am sad but that is the way I am. If I cant see the game on a streaming I d ont watch it simple.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
What is the general opinion of HD is that much better to warrant the money each month. I am trying to reduce my expenditure each month and as such am considering stopping sky and replacing the sky + with a freeview recorder from Argos for £99 which means at Sky rates it will pay for itself in 2 - 3 months.

I do not subscribe to Sky Sports 1 as I will not help premiership clubs get more money. I know I am sad but that is the way I am. If I cant see the game on a streaming I d ont watch it simple.

I much prefer HD and hate watching things that are standard definition now. If you haven't made the switch and looking to save money then I wouldn't upgrade. Once you have got used to watching it you won't want anything else, so it's best not to get used to it in the first place!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here