Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] RDZ - “we don’t need a striker in January”

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Sounds more like the party line to me. Maybe not in January but we need one next summer.
Do we though? We've just scored 4 at home to a club that won the champions League 2 seasons ago and followed it up with an away win, scoring 3 in the process. We have days where we don't score enough, but they are very rare. Recently, only Forest at home has disappointed in that regard.

Honestly, I'd like us to have another decent option up front, but really we can't grumble at the transfer policy of the club. We score plenty as it is. And I have absolutely no doubt that if the club spots a bargain striker who they know can add something, they'll sign him.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2011
I'd say just now we don't "need" any new signings in January but I would still like some

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I'd say just now we don't "need" any new signings in January but I would still like some
I'd feel more comfortable with another defender tbh but maybe one of the U21s is good enough to do ok in the PL. Right now I think a long term injury to any of Webster/Veltman/Dunk would be a little wonky.

Quebec Seagull

Vive le football... LIBRE!
Oct 19, 2022
Gatineau, Québec, CANADA
I think we need to add to the squad, anymore injuries or suspensions will see us light on the bench.
We need to keep on adding quality as we are likely to be selling some more quality.
I thought the younger subs last week and yesterday acquitted themselves well. I wouldn't be too nervous if Mitoma and a couple of others were to start against weaker sides due to injuries, suspensions or fatigue.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
More goals than Chelsea or Man U so far this season - (and a better GD than either so keeping them out too)

So let’s unpack it a bit by looking at the goal spread so far this season and comparing it to 4 of the top 6/7 clubs:

Mac Allister - 4
Trossard - 7
Gross - 5
Lallana - 1
Mitoma - 1
Caicedo - 1

—————
+ Welbeck
+ Enciso
+ Undav
———————

Spurs - 27 goals between 8 players -
Highest GS Kane - 11

Liverpool - 25 goals between 7 players
Highest GS Salah, Firmino - 6 each

Brighton - 22 goals between 6 players
Highest GD Trossard- 7

Man U - 18 goals between 8 players- Highest GS Rashford - 4

Chelsea - 17 goals between 10 players
Highest GS Sterling/Havertz - 3 each

Welbeck and Enciso will start putting a few in, but we are even now very competitive with 3 of the ‘big 6/7’ in terms of our goal scoring potential in the squad and with Gross and Trossard between them matching Liverpools highest goal scorers on a combined 12 goals.

Not only that but only Kane out of all the above mentioned players has topped Trossards goal stats so far this season.

With Tross still here in January we are fine. By the Summer transfer window, I would be expecting the youngsters (Enciso, Mitoma, maybe Undav if he gets up to speed, Buonanotte if he adapts to PL by then and probably a few midfield/forwards that are in the pipeline that we don’t even know about yet to be adding even further to our goal scoring strike force)

I would also expect Estupinan (who’s already making great strides) Turns and Colwill also to be providing a solid bolster to our Centre and Wing Back positions by summer too with some of our academy youngsters on the bench by then.

As things stand, we don’t need a dedicated striker, it’s not necessary for the game plan at least until Tross goes and maybe even then people may be surprised how much the Brighton midfielders and forwards mentioned above (even the older ones!) have improved on their goal to game ratio by then - it’s easy to miss the wood for the trees sometimes.

People keep saying we need to add to the squad but we are continually adding to the squad - it’s what Brighton are especially very good at - just not the big names For big money that would make it look sexy to a lot of fans but delightful talent and youth for a fraction of the price - that seems like a sound way to run a club to me on a relatively small turnover compared to any of the clubs mentioned above.

Last edited:

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
How many teams have scored more than us ?...

How many more would we have scored with a proper finisher...

Lallana is right though, finding someone better than Welbeck is bloody hard and it will cost big time.

We are in no rush to get a striker in now, can wait for the right one to come along
Could probably get a seasoned EPL goalscorer like pukki for not very much. That ship.probably has sailed though.

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
We’ve scored 22 in 13. We’re 8th highest scorers in the league and one goal behind being equal 5th. We have three players in the top 18 top scorers in the league. Lallana saying they all need to do more up front; taking more responsibility. I agree with him.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Do we though? We've just scored 4 at home to a club that won the champions League 2 seasons ago and followed it up with an away win, scoring 3 in the process. We have days where we don't score enough, but they are very rare. Recently, only Forest at home has disappointed in that regard.

Honestly, I'd like us to have another decent option up front, but really we can't grumble at the transfer policy of the club. We score plenty as it is. And I have absolutely no doubt that if the club spots a bargain striker who they know can add something, they'll sign him.

I think we will be fine and won’t go for one in January however by the summer I think we will need one. Keeping Welbeck Injury free is absolutely crucial, Trossard might go in January or the Summer, questions marks still over Undav and Fergerson is still unproven at this level. Add to the fact, however unlikely it might be we may be in Europe next season and that’s even more games for a limited pool of players to cover. I certainly feel we need more cover upfront I’m not begging for the mythical 20 goal a season striker. But certainly wouldn’t mind someone who can contribute 5-10 goals a season and offer cover if we lose players to injury.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I think we will be fine and won’t go for one in January however by the summer I think we will need one. Keeping Welbeck Injury free is absolutely crucial, Trossard might go in January or the Summer, questions marks still over Undav and Fergerson is still unproven at this level. Add to the fact, however unlikely it might be we may be in Europe next season and that’s even more games for a limited pool of players to cover. I certainly feel we need more cover upfront I’m not begging for the mythical 20 goal a season striker. But certainly wouldn’t mind someone who can contribute 5-10 goals a season and offer cover if we lose players to injury.
I think the ‘striker’ label is problematic. Under Potter, we used to miss so many chances, things improved a lot but we’ve had a few De Zerbi games where we’ve missed everything.

What this team needs is goalscorers, not strikers. In Tross, Groß, Mitoma, Mac Allister and Caicedo, I think we have enough but is Tross were to leave or get injured, we’d be in a bit of trouble.

Whilst we have youngsters with massive potential, I believe that we have to replace Tross with some sort of experienced goal scoring attacking player if we are forced to sell him in January or next summer. In terms of of big strong striker for the future, I think that Ferguson will replace Welbeck over the next few years, we don’t need another.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I would guess we might be looking for an attacking midfielder to replace Mwepu. We do have Moder to come back but I am not sure what how his recovery is progressing.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I think the ‘striker’ label is problematic. Under Potter, we used to miss so many chances, things improved a lot but we’ve had a few De Zerbi games where we’ve missed everything.

What this team needs is goalscorers, not strikers. In Tross, Groß, Mitoma, Mac Allister and Caicedo, I think we have enough but is Tross were to leave or get injured, we’d be in a bit of trouble.

Whilst we have youngsters with massive potential, I believe that we have to replace Tross with some sort of experienced goal scoring attacking player if we are forced to sell him in January or next summer. In terms of of big strong striker for the future, I think that Ferguson will replace Welbeck over the next few years, we don’t need another.
We won’t let Trossard go in January.
Theres a bigger picture at play, we don’t need the money, and Trossard knows that himsel, summer window nailed on.

EliasTaproot

Oct 31, 2022
I think the Mwepu loss has thrown a wrench in whatever plans we had, along with the huge risk Qatar poses with Caicedo etc. going and possibly becoming a huge shop window. I'm getting Renato Sanches vibes from Moises, can legit see Real Madrid coming in for him in January.

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London

Agree about Wellbeck and Ferguson.

Football has changed. Top four goal scorers are number 9. Beyond that, they’re wingers or attacking midfielders.

The obsession about a number nine has to change. We’re excellent as we are.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'd feel more comfortable with another defender tbh but maybe one of the U21s is good enough to do ok in the PL. Right now I think a long term injury to any of Webster/Veltman/Dunk would be a little wonky.
Van Hecke, Colwill, Estupinan, Lamptey, Turns, Offiah .......................

No, you're right, we've got nothing in reserve at all.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
We don't need a new striker unless Trossard goes and even then you could say Mitouma is a ready made replacement. We don't really need a new anything (you could argue Moder coming back is a replacement for Mwepu), we have quality on the bench that can't get in the team at the minute or even the 25 man squad.

I think we look more clinical since Maupay was sidelined and then transferred. Our ratio of goals per game is certainly higher. That increase also coincided with Moder being injured. Its harsh but also undeniable that he missed more than he scored. We are nowhere near as profligate in front of goal as we were excepting Brentford and Forest. Even then the keepers were MOM.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I would guess we might be looking for an attacking midfielder to replace Mwepu. We do have Moder to come back but I am not sure what how his recovery is progressing.
We spent £10m on an attacking midfielder last week ! But then he's 17 and presumably will be eased into the squad, and perhaps loaned as per. Moder is not due back until next year. Last club update was in September confirming he was going to miss the World Cup. https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/20591244.jakub-moders-injury-recovery-rehab-timescale-explained/

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Doing just fine scoring from all over the pitch and people also forget we have two attacking players out on loan in Sima and Adingra.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here