Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Razak signs

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
OVER half a team Easy? are you sure about that?

Well alright not OVER half a team, but half a team of outfield players.

The dark days of Micky Adams seem like a lifetime ago now, but his was a team cobbled together with a constant stream of loan signings, the majority of whom quite clearly could't give a monkeys toss about playing for the club. I'm not saying thats whats happening now, as clearly the calibre of loan signings is far higher and hopefully Gus can keep them motivated. But I still think its a potentially disruptive way of putting a team together - lots of loans can have some very negative side effects.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;4724359 said:
I see your point but a lot of the loans look like they may well be leading to permanent moves in the summer. Reyes is out of contract in the summer so I'm sure he's pretty much nailed on to sign permanently for us, likewise I expect that Vokes and possibly Mattock may sign permanently as well if we can agree fees. These city 2 are unlikely to be in our price range though, but if we were to get promoted you never know.

I hope you're right. If they play well (and so far I've been impressed with Reyes, Mattock and Vokes) then a try-before-you-buy loan spell which smooths the way to it becoming a permanent move is a good way of going about it. I'm not against us acquiring players that way.

I just don't want to see us get overloaded with temporary loaners, there needs to be a balance.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I share your concerns Easy - but Gus appears to look on loans as a extended trial - where if it suits both parties we make an offer at the end of it. If they don't shape up, or don't buy into the plan - we move on. But without the possibility of them sitting in the stands taking the money. Certainly Vokes, Mattock, and Reyes come into that catagory.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I share your concerns Easy - but Gus appears to look on loans as a extended trial - where if it suits both parties we make an offer at the end of it. If they don't shape up, or don't buy into the plan - we move on. But without the possibility of them sitting in the stands taking the money. Certainly Vokes, Mattock, and Reyes come into that catagory.

I agree, so different to MA's second term.

Amexican

May 21, 2011
So, 15 hours hard graft in 45 days! Yeah, poor sods they need a rest!!

But I understand that is the modern footballer. :D

You could look at this another way...we need capable (i.e. quality) cover in every position in case of injuries (tight hamstrings!) and suspensions which with the number and intensity of games coming up is inevitable.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Some people are never happy. Ridiculous!

I'd say we have the second best first 11 in the league after West Ham.

i was very happy with how our season was going. I still am, but its strange when 2 people we've never heard of before turn up and everybody creams themselves about them. I've no idea how they are going to turn out for us, good or bad, no-one does, not even gus. But we did know that sparrow was in great form before his ban, dicker was key for us before his injury, vicente was coming good and jfc was developing rapidly. They were the players driving us towards the playoffs and if we failed they'll have experience for next year. Now we've chucked 2 more midfielders in the team, we don't know if they can play to the standard of the rest, and if we fail they'll go back to their club

i know thats negative, i'm being a bit devils advocate, and this might turn out great for us, i hope it does, but isn't there a phrase 'if it aint broke don't try to fix it'

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I hope you're right. If they play well (and so far I've been impressed with Reyes, Mattock and Vokes) then a try-before-you-buy loan spell which smooths the way to it becoming a permanent move is a good way of going about it. I'm not against us acquiring players that way.

I just don't want to see us get overloaded with temporary loaners, there needs to be a balance.

I see Reyes, Mattock and Vokes ALL as semi-permanent signings already. I'm guessing that's the plan anyway, so I only see them as "half-loan" players, totally different to the likes of Robbie Savage rocking up as a favour for a mate.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
i was very happy with how our season was going. I still am, but its strange when 2 people we've never heard of before turn up and everybody creams themselves about them. I've no idea how they are going to turn out for us, good or bad, no-one does, not even gus. But we did know that sparrow was in great form before his ban, dicker was key for us before his injury, vicente was coming good and jfc was developing rapidly. They were the players driving us towards the playoffs and if we failed they'll have experience for next year. Now we've chucked 2 more midfielders in the team, we don't know if they can play to the standard of the rest, and if we fail they'll go back to their club

i know thats negative, i'm being a bit devils advocate, and this might turn out great for us, i hope it does, but isn't there a phrase 'if it aint broke don't try to fix it'

I'd heard of Assulin before now, and Razak clearly comes highly rated. Surely it's not "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", more "if you can improve it, do".

Horsham Gull

H Block Offender
Dec 4, 2006
Horsham
According to gus in the argus:

"Poyet said of 19-year-old Razak: "We were waiting. We were very close in the beginning of January. The African Cup didn't help us at all but I hope that everything is going to go through and we can do it today."

Do you think we put an offer to buy in January and had it turned down by city?

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles
According to gus in the argus:

"Poyet said of 19-year-old Razak: "We were waiting. We were very close in the beginning of January. The African Cup didn't help us at all but I hope that everything is going to go through and we can do it today."

Do you think we put an offer to buy in January and had it turned down by city?

More likely a loan until the end of the season, which would have included the playoffs. With the transfer window closed, the maximum loan period is reduced to 93 (?) days. From what City fans are saying about his potential, the chance of purchasing said player are nil.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What is very clear is that Gus is going for promotion this season. IF we attain that, more than half the current squad will be jettisoned anyway. It's not very Albion but it is what we'd have to do if we went up, so all these development players would have to go to another team to carry on developing because they won't be good enough for the Premier League. It's gonna be a dog eat dog world here soon and not the cosy little underachieving club we all love. Is this good or bad, who knows, but it will be exciting...

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
What is very clear is that Gus is going for promotion this season. IF we attain that, more than half the current squad will be jettisoned anyway. It's not very Albion but it is what we'd have to do if we went up, so all these development players would have to go to another team to carry on developing because they won't be good enough for the Premier League. It's gonna be a dog eat dog world here soon and not the cosy little underachieving club we all love. Is this good or bad, who knows, but it will be exciting...

Absolutely spot on.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

Razak has played a full first team game for Manchester City against a Premiership side, I'll take that as proof that he's pretty decent.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Razak has played a full first team game for Manchester City against a Premiership side, I'll take that as proof that he's pretty decent.

He was also MOM against Wolves in a Carling Cup game, and apparently "bossed it". Just looked it up, 5-2 victory, alongside Nasri, Johnson, taken off for Milner in the 80th minute. He's not "just some youth player".

I think people are being a tad naive, based purely on the fact they haven't heard of them.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Surely it's not "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", more "if you can improve it, do".

certainly agree with that although I think Kalimantan has a very fair point that as the club gets "bigger" in terms of achieving its potential, then home-grown (or at least home-nurtured) players have less chance of coming through or of maintaining their position in the squad.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
He was also MOM against Wolves in a Carling Cup game, and apparently "bossed it". Just looked it up, 5-2 victory, alongside Nasri, Johnson, taken off for Milner in the 80th minute. He's not "just some youth player".

I think people are being a tad naive, based purely on the fact they haven't heard of them.

That's the game I'm talking about.

Just because these players aren't household names it is assumed they aren't up to it.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Perhaps Poyet has signed all these new players to in event of another injury crisis? It sure as hell going to help having such a strong squad. What's better is going to be the competition in training for a place, which will inevitably mean the players themselves will up their game and improve to earn their spot. Exciting times, I honestly cannot wait till Sunday!

What I also like is that these players have chances to play for other, perhaps bigger clubs than us. But accepting our offers, I wonder what our academy and new training ground will attract if it gets its approval.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
That's the game I'm talking about.

Just because these players aren't household names it is assumed they aren't up to it.

Quite. Not to do the former players down, but these two are from a MUCH higher pedigree than Baz and Batti.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
certainly agree with that although I think Kalimantan has a very fair point that as the club gets "bigger" in terms of achieving its potential, then home-grown (or at least home-nurtured) players have less chance of coming through or of maintaining their position in the squad.

Fair point. But that's why we're spending £15 million or whatever it is on a new academy. Temporarily we will see less home-grown talent coming through, but hopefully within 5-10 years that balance will be restored.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here