Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ray Wilkins

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I quite like Ray Wilkins as a commentator. Saying 'we' was little sad but he still seemed less bias towards English clubs than Tydlesey, Gray, Townsend despite that

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
If you thought he was fawning over the English team last night, you wouldn't have wanted to hear Wilkins co-commentate on Man Utd v Marseille - nauseating brown-nosing of Giggs and Scholes, completely one-eyed towards United, I thought I'd mistakenly tuned in to MUTV.

I've always liked Wilkins but he's not a good co-commentator.

I noticed this in that ManUre game and pointed it out to some of my friends and last night it was just as bad if not worse. A commentator is not there to fawn over players whom had bad game, which some (alot) of them must have done as Spurs got thrashed 4 zip (did Jenas touch the ball until the 80th minute btw)

His brown nosing is utterly stomach churning. Every player is now known by the christian name (Peter will be disappointed by that, go on Gareth, outstanding defending by Michael there) and they have all collectively had "smashing/wonderful" games. I even noted the quote from Wilkins of "Harry's done a wonderful job here" after the 4th goes on. Oh really Ray, I thought commentating was about giving a reflection of what is happening/has happened maybe it is me that is wrong.

Also to the person who said about the radio, I did try and do that but the game is delayed by half a second or so and the radio tells you happen before it happens if you catch my drift. Tried it with turning the sound off, but you lose the crowd noise and this leads you (well me maybe) to drift away from the game yourself.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I feel sorry for Wilkins. Whilst his comments are delivered in rather banal fashion he essentially explained why English clubs (and the England team, for that matter) often under-achieve:

1. They give the ball away too easily.
2. Players dive in and pick up silly bookings.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Not really the subject of the thread, but does anyone like Garry Birtles as a co-commentator on Sky?. Been doing the job for a fair few seasons now, and l think he is really excellent. Surprised in many ways that Sky havent promoted him from doing Football League games to the Premier League now that Andy Gray has departed.

Never forget the occasion a few years ago, when during a Brighton match, the commentator referred to Michael Kuipers during his commentary. Actually said Garry, its 'Michel!' lol.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Ahhh, Ray Wilkins.

I think you will find you will enjoy his commentry stints far more if you have a sweepstake and play RAY WILKINS EXCEPTIONAL BINGO.

The rules are very simple. At the start of the game, simply try to guess how many times Ray will say "exceptional" during the course of the match ("exceptionally" is also acceptable of course). Last night I went for 7. The first came up in the 43rd, then there was a real flurry around the 73rd, 76th and 78th minutes before they all dried up. This was an unusually exceptional-barren night though - he's been up to 11 on occasions when commentating on Manure.

I LOVE this game. Its my favourite.

Last edited:

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Real Madrid v Tottenham Hotspur: as it happened - Telegraph

From the Telegraph about last night

20.44 I've been refraining from saying anything about Sky co-commentator Ray Wilkins so far, because I really needed a good five minutes to do this justice. I genuinely think Ray Wilkins is high. For a start, he keeps referring to Tottenham as "we". Sometimes he qualifies his "we" with the phrase "as an Englishman", as in "We - I mean, as an Englishman, we're all Englishmen, we're supporting the English team - need to stay on our feet in the tackle. Just stay on our feet. Don't go diving in. Stay on our feet." That's the other thing he's doing. He's repeating things a lot, as in: "If we can just, if we can just, if we can just get into half-time still 1-0 down, I mean we, as an Englishman, if we can just get into half-time still 1-0 down... oh, well done, Michael. Michael Dawson. Well done, Michael." Because, you see, that's another thing he's doing. He's referring to players by their first names, as in: "There wasn't a lot Michael could have done about that handball, the ball came at him real quick, but it looks as if Inter should have had a penalty there, and we're pretty lucky, I mean we, as an Englishman, supporting the English team, I mean we, we're pretty lucky, pretty lucky, a bit fortunate, that Michael, Michael Dawson, Michael Dawson, an Englishman, supporting an English team, hasn't given away a penalty there." Because that's the other thing he's doing. He's contradicting himself. I am not exaggerating. :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here