Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] RATE Albion's transfer window

How do YOU rate Albion's transfer window?

• 10 (High)

Votes: 5 1.8%

Votes: 35 12.4%

Votes: 89 31.4%

Votes: 60 21.2%

Votes: 47 16.6%

Votes: 20 7.1%

Votes: 10 3.5%

• 1 (Low)

Votes: 7 2.5%

• Total voters

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
7 for me. We made some money, brought in some exciting talent in Estupinan, Enciso, and Gilmour. I'm looking forward to seeing how Undav and Mitoma push on.

Shame we could not secure a back up for Welbeck but I am not as despondent as many others are about that.

It's a tough first XI to get into right now, Potter has a lot of options and we can play in a variety of formations, I'm glad the transfer circus is over and we can move on now.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
7/10

Good signings in Billy Gilmour and Pervis Estupiñán but what is the phobia of signing a Glenn Murray type striker we have desperately needed for years!? As others have stated It's glaringly obvious and never gets fixed season after season. Everything else is spot on but lack of goals is a clear ongoing concern!

Glenn Murray was a player who never shined particularly brightly in League 1... yet clear had the attributes, positioning and goal-scoring instinct to maintain his goal scoring record all the way up to the highest levels. None of us who saw him at the Withdean would've said hand on heart we thought he'd be a successful premier-league player I don't think? So obviously going out and finding another is easier said than done...

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Well, maybe.. I was certainly horny for Toney when he was down in League One. And about half of the teams in Belgium are Championship level.. 25 goals and 10 assists against Championship/League One opposition. I'd be excited. Well, I am excited. Yes, I think he will contribute kind of little until October/November but we'll get a handful of goals from him I think, which is really all you can hope for from a backup.
To be fair, if it was a striker who had scored 27 in the Championship I’d definitely be excited, but league one is a world away from that. There’s plenty of good strikers who’ve come from League One but they’ve generally spent a season or two in the Championship before stepping up. Time will tell with Undav, and I’m certainly not writing him off, but I’d personally have felt a lot more comfortable if we’d signed a striker with experience in one of Europe’s top leagues.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
It's a 7 from me. The points deducted are fairly predictable in that like most people I'm really worried about Welbeck injured. Of course the caveat is that I wholly appreciate how difficult it is to track down the forward we need.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
7/10

Good signings in Billy Gilmour and Pervis Estupiñán but what is the phobia of signing a Glenn Murray type striker we have desperately needed for years!? As others have stated It's glaringly obvious and never gets fixed season after season. Everything else is spot on but lack of goals is a clear ongoing concern!

The answer to your question lies in these three names: Andone, Jahanbakhsh and Locadia

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I think Enciso should count as a striker as well... In most of his games before moving to Brighton, he played as one of two strikers up front. Yes, usually a bit deeper than Santa Cruz, but still definitely more striker than anything else. And I think we might see a bit more of him than most expect.

Maybe, for me though I’m looking for someone who can lead the line in Welbeck’s absence, sure Enciso can play in a 2, but on his own? He’ll get eaten alive. Ferguson is the only one with the physical tools to cover Welbeck but is too raw, Undav is the only realistic cover but we don’t really have any idea what he can do in this league.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
The answer to your question lies in these three names: Andone, Jahanbakhsh and Locadia

It’s interesting, those 3 often get lumped into the failed Albion category, yet I’m pretty sure only Andone is an actual striker, the other two were forwards/wingers. Perhaps if we bought a striker to be a striker and let wingers be wingers we might get more out of them. Not Jahanbakhsh though, he was terrible :lol:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's almost impossible to rank as most of the players we have signed will either come to fruition or not in approx 2 years time. Only time will tell.

Without repeating what a lot have said re Biss, Cucu etc, Gilmour is the one I really like. If you wanted to buy him 12 months ago, 10 million quid would have been laughed at. I appreciate he was poor at Norwich but then that can happen and may well have done us a favour long term by getting him at a value price. He's a player made for a Potter team and one that could prove to be another shrewd bit of recruitment.

The obvious problem is a Welbeck injury and Undav seemingly lacking the work rate or mobility as a Maupay replacement. Then it's more of this false 9 bollox that we all love so much.
Correct on all fronts, as always, Piggle.

:thumbsup:

I'll give it a 6.5. For most other clubs, that's a 7.5 but we have VERY high recruitment standards here. Gilmour is a bit of a gamble for the reasons already outlined, but obviously Potter and his team have seen enough to think there is a player there to work with. He could prove an absolute steal. Cucu and Biss were both good sales (we got top dollar), but I'm really disappointed that Maupay ultimately wanted out and of course a replacement at short notice was always going to be near impossible given the constraints we work with. I wouldn't be surprised to see us sign a striker when the window reopens though, even if Undav does turn out to be a great striker.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
You need to rate cumulative transfer windows. This one , only makes sense given the business we did in January and last summer. And before that - building a squad that’s potter friendly, sustainable, younger/with resell value, and naturally from markets/league where we can compete ££/opportunity wise hasnt just happened over the summer.
Loans (what is it ? 15 or so ? ) take several windows to come good (or sometimes fail) and work done now might lay foundations for work in January (13 games time) or 2024 or 2025 etc … so always with windows - too early to say.
And also trust what Potter says, he’s not a Rodgers, Parker or Gerrard bleating about what he hasn’t got. But I still think he’s pretty transparent about transfers and squad strength . If he says he’s relaxed about his forward options - perhaps he really is. (For now at least).
PS: Watch out for Sarmiento by the way. Not a “striker” but He’s played about 10 mins for us so far for various reasons - injuries/team form but he’s up there with Caicedo as a prospect.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

The straight swap between Cucurella and Estepunian is good business, huge profit and allowed a player his big move. As discussed on other threads that is our transfer policy and works on many levels.

The straight swap between Maupay and Undav is questionable if Potter doesn't trust Undav to play. If he needs to improve how does he do it without game time :shrug:

Billy Gilmour is one for the future in a position that we have a wealth of talent. Decent signing on paper but will take a few seasons to get the full benefit. Again, aligns with the club's transfer policy so fair enough.

The HUGE negative and the reason for a 50% loss of marks is that we didn't fill the one position that could be make or break for our season. We now have to hope we get lucky and keep Wellbeck fit for an entire season, history isn't on our side for that one.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
You need to rate cumulative transfer windows. This one , only makes sense given the business we did in January and last summer. And before that - building a squad that’s potter friendly, sustainable, younger/with resell value, and naturally from markets/league where we can compete ££/opportunity wise hasnt just happened over the summer.
Loans (what is it ? 15 or so ? ) take several windows to come good (or sometimes fail) and work done now might lay foundations for work in January (13 games time) or 2024 or 2025 etc … so always with windows - too early to say.
And also trust what Potter says, he’s not a Rodgers, Parker or Gerrard bleating about what he hasn’t got. But I still think he’s pretty transparent about transfers and squad strength . If he says he’s relaxed about his forward options - perhaps he really is. (For now at least).
PS: Watch out for Sarmiento by the way. Not a “striker” but He’s played about 10 mins for us so far for various reasons - injuries/team form but he’s up there with Caicedo as a prospect.

Have you ever considered a career in politics?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Financially excellent. And have covered all but one outgoing. But that's the big issue. I had confidence going into this season with Wellbeck starter, Maupay as sub or replacement if needed and Undav settling and getting game time, with Ferguson as a back up. Now we're back to one known quality striker but one who's had injury issues his whole career. It means Undav either has to settle quickly or if Wellbeck has any issues. I don't think the £15m for Maupay was worth it unless there was other back ground stuff

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
9 for me Jeff.
We still have a gap in the squad for a hard-working, strong and quick forward who can stretch defences (who isn't?) but I'm happy that we've added quality and depth where we needed to, paid off some debt and not harmed our development pathways.
In the context of good business and management of the squad, it has to be a high score.

I like the look of Estupinan, Mitoma and Enciso and I think all of them will be successful and either stay for a while or earn us some more wedge.
Colwill also looks very tidy as backup but would have preferred long term. Gilmour/Undav/Kozlowski and Adingra - TBD

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex

Agree with the sentiment Jem, but really, if Welbeck is injured, who right now would you be confident in doing the role that he has done effectively for 4 and a half games? Sure, other players "can do a job" and we can try them, as we did at Fulham, and we may find new ways of coping using current players or as yet unseen players, but if your best performances are coming with someone playing the role effectively, it is fair to say right now that there is a risk here. Undav is the hope here, and a midfield/front line that contributes more goals - it might prove thoroughly effective, but it would appear that the club were linked with striking options suggesting they would have liked to have got someone in too? But not at any cost - price or team culture. I think this is the sentiment that is being expressed in the main.. it feels risky simply with the info that we as fans have to go on.

PS - I applaud GPs views that he expresses to the public - he knows it's hard to go and work with players who you have suggested are not good enough in your post-match interview!

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Have you ever considered a career in politics?

Play the ball not the man. If you think I’m wrong in my interpretation- call it out. Happy to debate. I’d have liked a few extra players too …who wouldn’t. But implying I’m spinning or a PR for the club is a bit boring.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
5 - as usual, we failed to address the glaringly obvious squad striker gap, whilst making some positive looking, rather brilliant additions, and clearing deadwood.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I don't think the £15m for Maupay was worth it unless there was other back ground stuff

I think we can take that as given. Maupay wanted out and Potter gave up on trying to man manage him. Thanks for the memories of those late goals but you just know his career will always be hampered by attitude issues

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Play the ball not the man. If you think I’m wrong in my interpretation- call it out. Happy to debate. I’d have liked a few extra players too …who wouldn’t. But implying I’m spinning or a PR for the club is a bit boring.

Boring but true

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Play the ball not the man. If you think I’m wrong in my interpretation- call it out. But implying I’m spinning or a PR for the club is a bit boring.

Q. Rate the window.

CJ’s Answer . Well you can’t rate this window in isolation.

I’ve not suggested that you’re spinning any PR for the club, those are your words. What I have suggested is that you have, once again, intentionally NOT answered the straight forward question that’s on the table. You know full well that you do it, shouldn’t be too surprised if someone notices it.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Difficult one isn’t it? We got as much money as I think we could possibly get for Biss and Cucu. Pervis feels like as good as we could for the money and I’m sure he’ll be at least decent despite his horror show this week. Colwill, who knows. It’s a loan so I’m not entirely sure if the thought process there. Gilmour is a steal. The worry is selling Maupay and not signing anyone. Undav needs time but he needs to be decent too or we really might not have as good as season as we could. I trust the club and Potter but blimey let’s hope Welbeck stays fit for the games that matter.

I'm with you on most of this but Undav might not have time. If Welbeck picks up an injury on Sunday then what? The "false 9" clearly doesn't work with the players we have. Then places huge pressure on young Ferguson to carry the burden and that's asking an almighty lot of such a young and inexperienced player.

But GP has said he is happy with the squad so it is down to him to make it work. I really hope binning Maupay doesn't come back to bite.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here