Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rat from a sinking ship ?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I would agree and would have loved to have had him as manager when Wilkins left but I think that he would have been to strong a personality for DK.

Why? I am pretty sure Dick didn't get where he was by being a limp wristed push over, scared of those with a pushy outgoing style.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It is strongly rumoured that DK was a very dominant person and virtually told the manager what team he should field. Whether or not this is true I don't know if there was any truth in the rumour but it would explain him re-employing MA. I do not think that Warnock would allow any interference in his team selection.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You were/are a staunch fan of Micky Adams, but you are suggesting that he bowed to pressure from DK and let him pick the team? How does that work?

I think that is where it went wrong DK exercised too much power over MA rather than let him do his job and as a result it was MA who was sacked/left. I am sure that he is not the first manager to go via that route with a chairman.
DK always claimed the glory from successful signings like Zamora but you never heard him claim to have signed Hawkins McLeod etc. I think that MA may have been influenced in his decisions where as I don't see Warnock as a man who will accept interference.

In fairness to DK if I 'owned ' a club I would expect to be able to put suggestions as to the team etc to the manager.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
It is strongly rumoured that DK was a very dominant person and virtually told the manager what team he should field. Whether or not this is true I don't know if there was any truth in the rumour...

but it won't stop me using it as nauseum as a stick to beat Dick Knight. :nono:

I think that is where it went wrong DK exercised too much power over MA rather than let him do his job and as a result it was MA who was sacked/left...

There you go again. :nono:

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
That is what we are hoping. I understand that Mittal has substantially increased his shareholding and the new man at the top of the holding company is one of his people. The concern for some is that Gianni Paladini is now chairman of the football club. He's held responsible for many of the 47 or so signings we've made in the last few years, some on long contracts allegedly on £10-15k a week. :ohmy:

Latest rumours re the manager's position is Colin is after a 2 and 1/2 year contract and there is some reluctance at HQ to meet his demands given we could be a League One team next season.

Surely this means QPR would be better advised on holding onto their money to pay the wage bill, not waste it on Warnocks last big pay packet? After all it will be the players that will keep you in the Championship, not some egomaniac media whore in the dug-out.

Maybe I'm just to sensible to be put in charge of a football club!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
but it won't stop me using it as nauseum as a stick to beat Dick Knight. :nono:

There you go again. :nono:

I am not having a pop at DK as I have said if I owned a football club I would want to have an input or discussion about the team especially if they were not winning. I just do not think Warnock is the kind of manager to allow any interference where as others might. Hence my view that it is possibly a reason why he has never been seen as a prospective manager for us.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I am not having a pop at DK as I have said if I owned a football club I would want to have an input or discussion about the team especially if they were not winning. I just do not think Warnock is the kind of manager to allow any interference where as others might. Hence my view that it is possibly a reason why he has never been seen as a prospective manager for us.

Has a single one of our managers, when sacked or walking away to a 'bigger job' commented, or even hinted, that this was a problem for them?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
No I made one comment when it was suggested that Warnock should have been our manager and I agreed but then mentioned about rumours nothing hard and fast and definite, but you chose to use that as a stick to beat me with about DK. Lets just agree to drop the whole subject unless you are prepared to come down off of your high horse and accept that it was that, just rumours.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
No I made one comment when it was suggested that Warnock should have been our manager and I agreed but then mentioned about rumours nothing hard and fast and definite, but you chose to use that as a stick to beat me with about DK. Lets just agree to drop the whole subject unless you are prepared to come down off of your high horse and accept that it was that, just rumours.

You've just done it again :US:

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I would agree and would have loved to have had him as manager when Wilkins left but I think that he would have been to strong a personality for DK.

Oh good God yes - the sort of manager that everyone hates if he's not your manager. Knows the game etc etc
However he is a cheating bastard - remember the WBA match when he tried to get players sent off so that the game would have to be abandoned

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here