Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rare documentary made in Brighton in 1968

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
Checkout the first film on this link. It's a brilliant documentary from '68 about an unsigned band from Brighton trying to make it big. Loads of superb footage of Brighton at that time. All the people in it are locals, any of the oldies on here know/remember any of them?
BBC - Adam Curtis Blog

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Excellent thanks for posting

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Says they played The Starlight Rooms. :shrug: They would have emptied it quickly. :guitar: King Gerry was the man! :rave:

ridda

Oct 6, 2003
BN1
Mike Clayton , the manager , used to run The Cottage in Middle Street - anyone remember?

Remember the cottage well, i used to go there on a regular basis and have a sloppy joe and listen to the records on the juke box. [jefferson airplane, king crimson, the nice and loads more] also remember the menu was written on The court of the cimson king album "great times".

smiler

Jan 12, 2006
Shoreham by Sea
Remember the cottage well, i used to go there on a regular basis and have a sloppy joe and listen to the records on the juke box. [jefferson airplane, king crimson, the nice and loads more] also remember the menu was written on The court of the cimson king album "great times".

Yes fanatastic juke box

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
If I hadn't looked at their website and read some of the comments on this thread I would have sworn that was a 'Spinal Tap' type of fake documentary.
Their manager reminded me of a 60's version of Alan Partridge!
:lolol:

Mike Clayton , the manager , used to run The Cottage in Middle Street - anyone remember?

The place that almost defines Brighton in the sixties for me. The odd thing is that, over the years, I've had conversations with loads of people about The Cottage and there seems to be thousands of people who remember it - far too many, in fact, to make any sense, since, if I remember rightly, there was room in there for not much more than six people at a time.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009

Did he run the cottage? I know he ran Expansion Records in the shop in Middle Street, and the little alleyway to the right led to The Cottage - where I spent many a happy hippy hour munching burgers, chips, beans and a tea.

The toilet outside was, um, a toilet - well summarised by a scrawling on the wall which read:
"It's no good standing on the seat,
the crabs in here can jump six feet."

smiler

Jan 12, 2006
Shoreham by Sea
The place that almost defines Brighton in the sixties for me. The odd thing is that, over the years, I've had conversations with loads of people about The Cottage and there seems to be thousands of people who remember it - far too many, in fact, to make any sense, since, if I remember rightly, there was room in there for not much more than six people at a time.

What do they say about the 60's - if you can remember it you weren't really there!

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
I've just spent a few pleasant minutes reading muswellgull's link about The Cottage; of course, it was Ian Muzio who ran it. Wonderful place - almost a second home in my mis-spent yoof.

Does anybody remember a Robert Plant look-a-like hippy with orange/ginger called Bungle who was invariably standing at the entrance to the King and Queen pub, asking "do you wanna score some dope?" Probably on NSC somewhere!

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
I remember eating at The Cottage in the early 70s, but I used to buy records from a different shop called The Cottage in about 1969, almost next to the Waggon and Horses in Church Street when I was at Tech.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here