Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Random Albion Players that you remember

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
David Adekola for coming on as a sub at the Goldstone, and being subbed not long after

Graeme Atkinson for SMASHING a thunderbolt volley against the cross bar on his Priestfield based debut

Paul Holsgrove for signing for us for free and being sold to Hibs a week later for £100k without ever playing

Ian Culverhouse for the "Culverhouse, in the middle of our team" chant, nothing else

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Carl Wilson-Dennis came to mind when I saw this thread, for some reason.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Mark Gall,how good was he until he got injured.Another Barry Lloyd classic.
Also Zeke Rowe:lol:

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
1. Brian Powney as I went to my first Albion game aged 8/9 in the mid 70s as a birthday party outing (not in the gay sense) with his nephew Chris as we all went to Annecy school in Seaford.

2. Hansy Kraay for pogoing in front of the goalkeeper at corners and keeping the North Stand amused and fired up.

3. Jimmy Case - I didn't go to the match, But I recall he knocked someone out with a thunderbolt freekick at the Goldstone at a pre-season friendly. Does anyone rememeber that or am I imagining it?

4. Eric Potts - 2 goal super sub

5. Wardy - Always seemed to get a hat trick against Wolves

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Frank Worthington--my favourite ever Brighton player.
He used to scare me mind you with his caveman appearance, I was only 10 at the time, I think he only scored a couple of goals for us but one of them was a beauty, a 30 odd yard volley in the North Stand goal

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Frank Worthington--my favourite ever Brighton player.
He used to scare me mind you with his caveman appearance, I was only 10 at the time, I think he only scored a couple of goals for us but one of them was a beauty, a 30 odd yard volley in the North Stand goal
But he was crap at after dinner speached though.....

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Peter Suddaby: under-rated but solid central defender in our first spell in the top flight, Married to a Nolan I believe.

Pat Hilton: teenage contemporary of Tony Towner

Brian Bromley: twinkle-toes mid-field player with sideburns. Became landlord of the Black Dog pub, one of the roughest in Portsmouth.

Ian Culverhouse: provided an occasional glimpse of class in our Priestfield days.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
For some reason or other the following spring to mind:

Stefan Iovan
Eric Young
Giles Stille :)

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
At random, then:
Malcolm Poskett - great name, dodgy tache, scored some goals
Peter Sayer - Keegan perm, scored one or two
Paul 'Tank' Clark - he bites ya legs
Neil McNab - Coxy of his era, but more consistent as I remember
Steve Penny - wiry winger who could cross
Gerry Ryan - ditto, and another dodgy tache

Mar 4, 2008
Burgess Hill!
Dirk Lehman :smokin:

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Johnnie Goodchild - a face only a mother could love.

From the same era...

Jimmy Collins - creative midfielder plus goals. Couldn't we use someone of his qualities today.

Two of the 'famous five' who each scored more than 10 goals in a season (1964?). The other 3 were Bobby Smith, Wally Gould and Cassidy I think.

Nooooo, It wasn't Bill Cassidy it was Jack Smith who made up the famous five. Also from that team come the names Jack Bertolini and Mel Hopkins .

Mel by the way, can be seen sitting in E block south stand for many home games.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Ian Muir, left us before he even played a full game for us (think he followed Frank Worthington to Tranmere). Became Rovers all time top scorer and as we let him go for nothing and not because of cash restraints like Dean Saunders so we seemed to have dropped the ball that time.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Mathew Edwards.

Scored the equaliser against Man Utd in the league cup and the winner against Portsmouth in the FA Cup in the same season. :bowdown:

Hadlee

Oct 27, 2003
Southwick
Barry Butlin

For having a name that suggested he should have been a stand-up comedian and for scoring the only goal to beat the South London wannabe's in 1974.

Sammy Nelson

For his stentorian 'Up Robbo' directed at Michael Robinson whenever said striker was in a head duel.

Steve Piper

for having a basket nose an for going out with my cousin.

Speaking of Sammy Nelson, which current England test player is his Son in Law ?

dylan_bha

Sep 21, 2004
LA
A fairly recent one:
Zesh Rehman - for being really rather good his first time with us then utter rubbish on his return!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here