Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ramprakash backed for Test recall

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If you read it though, it's just Grizzly talking about it. It's a mad idea: a bloke who wasn't good enough to cut it at test level when he was at his peak, should be recalled when he's nearly 40?

Like I said in another thread, if another batsman is included, I reckon it will be Key (as well as Trott) although I personally would go for Hildreth.

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
Just chuckling at Charlton
Not really, Mark Ramprakash has proved to be England's best batsman over the past 3 or 4 years at County level and one thing is for sure would be a better bet than Bopara and Bell at this moment in time

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
The current players should be big enough and responsible enough to pull themselves out of the massive hole they dug, and forced to play the final test. They are NOT that bad as they managed to scrape a draw at Cardiff and win at Lords!

If they lose they only have themselves to blame and then have to face the public and get all the critism that justifiably goes their way

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If you read it though, it's just Grizzly talking about it. It's a mad idea: a bloke who wasn't good enough to cut it at test level when he was at his peak, should be recalled when he's nearly 40?

Not just Adams, but Alec Stewart too. And he's a fella that seemed to know something about playing test match cricket.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Not just Adams, but Alec Stewart too. And he's a fella that seemed to know something about playing test match cricket.

And another Surrey player....

So, the "call" has come from nowhere outside Ramps' own county

It was dismissed as laughable by Geoff Boycott on TMS yesterday (and he's someone else who knows something about test cricket).

I agree with Brett - these players were good enough a week ago, let them dign themselves out of a hole (except Bopara whose confidence looks shot).

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
We'll have Flintoff back for that match and wasn't he the top England scorer at Edgbaston?

We've got to take the wickets so Harmison should stay in and Bell, Bopara or Collingwood should make way for Fred.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
And another Surrey player....

So, the "call" has come from nowhere outside Ramps' own county

It was dismissed as laughable by Geoff Boycott on TMS yesterday (and he's someone else who knows something about test cricket).

I agree with Brett - these players were good enough a week ago, let them dign themselves out of a hole (except Bopara whose confidence looks shot).
I agree with you, but there is a part of me that thinks that we do need some sort of crazy selection gamble as we've got to win this Test; we might as well lose in three days again as have a bore draw. The advantage with Ramps is that he'll bat without fear, if you stick him in and he fails, well what did you expect? I said on another thread that Bopara's been 'Australianed'; they've got under his skin and he's now worried about his Test future. That won't happen with Ramps as he hasn't got a future.

But having said that, yes, I think Ramps is a gamble too far. Probably. But I do think we have to do something other than just sticking with the same eleven and blindly hoping that they can't play as badly again.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Boycott
Stewart
Ramprakash
Hick / Bopara

If we open with that little lot, then it won't matter who follows.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Bopara has to be dropped, but under no circumstances should that be for Ramprakash (who admittedly has looked class for 2 seasons now) because like Bopara, he has proved he cannot make the step up in class.

Joyce or Trott for me. Or Carberry (who must be getting on a bit now).

I think the bowling needs to stay as it is, although if Flintoff is available, who do you drop? I think Broad's place looks most under threat. Sure he can bat, but we need to take wickets if we are to win the final test, so we're not looking for an underperforming bowler who might chip in with a few runs.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Which top 4 inspires more confidence?

Strauss
Cook
Bopara
Bell

Strauss
Trescothick
Cook
Ramprakash

If I were Australian, I know which I'd prefer.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think the bowling needs to stay as it is, although if Flintoff is available, who do you drop? I think Broad's place looks most under threat. Sure he can bat, but we need to take wickets if we are to win the final test, so we're not looking for an underperforming bowler who might chip in with a few runs.

Did I imagine it, or did Broad take 6 (SIX) wickets in the last test?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Did I imagine it, or did Broad take 6 (SIX) wickets in the last test?

You didn't imagine it, no.

Broad is also the joint top English wicket taker in the series with 12 (TWELVE) alongside Anderson. Broad has the better average of the two.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Broad's bowling has definitely improved in the last two tests. He was much better than anyone else at Headingly, not that that was much of a challenge but still...

I don't see the point in bringing back Ramprakash, he is the Ian Bell of the last generation, fine cricketer but for whatever reason can't hack it at test level. I'm all in favour of Tresco though.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Yeah let's drop Broad. Just took 6 wickets, and was our only decent bowler in the last test, scored a half century when no batsmen did, and has taken big wickets throughout the series.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You didn't imagine it, no.

Broad is also the joint top English wicket taker in the series with 12 (TWELVE) alongside Anderson. Broad has the better average of the two.
Fair enough, I didn't realise that. So who would you drop to make way for Flintoff? Harmison, Onions, Anderson, Swann or Broad?

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
I'd agree with the calls for Trescothick and Ramprakash for this test. I really don't give a f*** if it's the future or not, we want the Ashes back and the best way to do that would be to play players that are not bricking themselves every time they walk out to bat. I would like to point out though that I appreciate peoples concerns about Ramps and I am only considering this because the test is at the Oval.

Personally I'd drop Bell and Bopara for those 2 and assuming Fred is fit i'd play him for Harmison and get back to the original seam bowling attack.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here