Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Railway silly season

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
i thought i had, by acknowleging the restrictions are wrong. im not on the side of the rail company, but the side of law. they have purchased ticket from A to B then got off at C. surely you wouldnt find it acceptable to go to a station further on, even though that wouldnt materially effect the rail company either? i'm sure we have had a detail or two omitted, it may be that the tickets were intended to be used only on an express/no stop train, they have used a different service (with different costings) to circumvent the system. hey, i've done it myself, in the full knowledge that a fine would be the probable consequene if i got caught.

at the end of the day, the ticket were no valid. do we just ignore all the rules on tickets, or just ignore those we think are wrong?

and it seems you invoke Godwins law, very unnecessarily.

I would have no sympathy whatsoever if they'd been caught out going a station or two beyond their destination, that goes without saying. If you've only paid to travel so far, but decide to risk it by pushing it a bit further, then thats a whole 'nother ball game. You ARE matierially affecting the rail company in doing that, because you are trying to travel an extra distance for free.

And the tickets WERE valid. They were on the right train on the right day, and theres no mention of them pulling an emergency cord in order to get off at an unscheduled stop.

Quite honestly its an "offence" I could easily have been guilty of as well, being as when I board a train, I do not get on under the assumption that I am effectively held captive on it until I have reached the destination printed on my ticket. I certainly wouldn't have expected to get a fine simply for choosing to disembark before my desitination.

Its very, very shabby treatment of a couple of paying customers, I just do not see how the rail company can possibly justify it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
And the tickets WERE valid. They were on the right train...

self evidently they were not valid, and we are not told if in fact they were on the correct train.

its seems that because we have had a convention in the past that a ticket is valid anywhere along a route, some consider that this is a given. when in fact a tickets is for a specific journey with or without restrictions. in the case of savers there are quite alot of them, which are the terms you agree to for the cheaper ticket.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
self evidently they were not valid, and we are not told if in fact they were on the correct train.

its seems that because we have had a convention in the past that a ticket is valid anywhere along a route, some consider that this is a given. when in fact a tickets is for a specific journey with or without restrictions. in the case of savers there are quite alot of them, which are the terms you agree to for the cheaper ticket.

If they were not on the correct train, then the whole artical thing is a complete non-story as they'd be bang to rights. The whole POINT of the story is the fact they were heavily fined simply for not staying on a train long enough.

We are not told if in fact they assaulted the ticket inspector and daubed "JEDWARD ROOL" in their own excrement on the table before they got up and left, but its probably safe to assume this did not occur either.

We're clearly not going to reach agreement then. But whatever way you slice it, I think this sucks the big one.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The fact only Ernest and Beorthelm do not see the problem here says all you need to know really.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
If they were not on the correct train, then the whole artical thing is a complete non-story as they'd be bang to rights.

true, though it wouldnt be the first time a newspaper, or member of the public, omitted a tiny but significant detail to fill column inches or have 5 minutes fame/a fee.

still misses the point, if the ticket explicitly says you must travel from point a to b, thats what the ticket is for. nevermind. it will happen again while we have the stupid saver tickets.

The fact only Ernest and Beorthelm do not see the problem here says all you need to know really.

hey, thats not fair. dont know whether to :eek: :facepalm: or :lolol:

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If you buy a ticket online you tick a box to accept the terms and conditions so ignorance is not an excuse.

Gamestation collects customers' souls in April Fools gag Telegraph Blogs

Much as I understand how cheap tickets work, it does seem that the fine is vastly disproportionate to the offence.

How else would the fine system work? You can't have a blanket charge. A £10 fine if you don't have a valid ticket isn't going put you off trying to avoid paying £150 for a long distance trip. You get caught maybe once every three journeys, you save that £10.

Is £100, perhaps fair punishment for skipping the £150 ticket, proportionate for skipping the £2 short journey ticket?

Is forcing people to simply pay for a ticket going to deter them from cheating the fares? There's no punishment. You just pay what you would have anyway. You need to add in a fine to punish and/or deter people from skipping their fares.

If they were not on the correct train, then the whole artical thing is a complete non-story as they'd be bang to rights. The whole POINT of the story is the fact they were heavily fined simply for not staying on a train long enough.

No, the point is that they purchased discount tickets with restrictions on where they can get off the train, and they didn't adhere to the restrictions.

This couple were, imo, trying to cheat the system. They got caught. I have no sympathy for them.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This couple were, imo, trying to cheat the system. They got caught. I have no sympathy for them.

I do find you 'zero tolerance' types amusing. It's normally only a matter of time before we hear about you being found trussed up with an orange in your mouth.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
the point is that they purchased discount tickets with restrictions on where they can get off the train, and they didn't adhere to the restrictions.

How on earth can getting off a train EARLY be deemed as "cheating the system" ?
What have they gained ? Who have they inconvenienced ? Who have they cheated ? Why should it matter ?

*shakeshead*

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
I do find you 'zero tolerance' types amusing.

there's zero tolerance and there's deliberatly cheating the system.

i wonder if anyone has considered that as such offers are often limited number, someone else wanting to get to Southampton might have been stuck with the normal full price fare.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

i wonder if anyone has considered that as such offers are often limited number, someone else wanting to get to Southampton might have been stuck with the normal full price fare.

whatever

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Usual crap, someone buys something with specific t & cs and then when they break them and get caught whinge like mad.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Usual crap, someone buys something with specific t & cs and then when they break them and get caught whinge like mad.

They're all coming out now.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

You're not very convincing. It's been a few hours now and you're playing your last card in an attempt to prop up your ridiculous argument that the train company are not behaving appallingly.

"someone else wanting to get to Southampton might have been stuck with the normal full price fare".

Piss. Myself. Laughing.

I assume you wouldn't buy a jumper in the sales, in case you deprive someone else of that jumper who might have kept it for a month longer than you before throwing it out.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
How on earth can getting off a train EARLY be deemed as "cheating the system" ?
What have they gained ? Who have they inconvenienced ? Who have they cheated ? Why should it matter ?

*shakeshead*

They bought a ticket with a specific destination. If they wish to go elsewhere, they are supposed to buy the appropriate ticket. They didn't buy the appropriate ticket because it was more expensive.

They have gained a discount to a train station that was not available.
They have cheated the train company out of the appropriate fare for the journey they took.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
blakey.jpg

" 'Ave you read your terms and conditions ? 'AVE YOU ? You signed up to ga to Saafampton, and thats where you're GAA'IN, na SIDDAAAAN"

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I do find you 'zero tolerance' types amusing. It's normally only a matter of time before we hear about you being found trussed up with an orange in your mouth.

There's quite a difference between "zero tolerance" and "having no sympathy for those who get caught".

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Piss. Myself. Laughing.

come off it, i've made it clear im backing the adherence of the contracts, not the railway's actions itself. i dont think they are clever to do so, but they are within their rights. its not a "last card", just an observation.

seems theres a trend im not part of, selective application of rules as people seem fit by some arbitary non specified code, rather than finding fault with the underlying problem (so it goes unchecked). i blame relativism.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here