Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

** Rail Disruption on Saturday due to Planned Engineering Works **

All the Pompey fans need to do is get a train up to Clapham Junction and change there, you've gotta be some kind of cunt if you get on rail replacement bus and you can avoid it.
But it's a significantly longer and more expensive journey via Clapham Junction, even allowing for the replacement bus service.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
But it's a significantly longer and more expensive journey via Clapham Junction, even allowing for the replacement bus service.

Is it f***. I've already covered the cost issue in my reply to BG, as for the time - via CLJ only takes another 45mins and that is assuming you have no trouble in getting on the bus at Barnham. For the corresponding fixture our trains were standing room only both ways - will they have enough buses to cope with this?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is it f***. I've already covered the cost issue in my reply to BG, as for the time - via CLJ only takes another 45mins and that is assuming you have no trouble in getting on the bus at Barnham. For the corresponding fixture our trains were standing room only both ways - will they have enough buses to cope with this?
No.
If Pompey weren't in their current situation they might have looked at it and said 'ah sod it subsidised coaches from Fratton'.

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
When should they done? On a weekday when people are getting to work?

How many other countries close down main lines on a Saturday causing untold disruption?

How about utilising night time when there's no trains running? If it means spreading the work out over two or three nights then so be it.

Saturday engineering works rarely occurred during BR days. With privatisation, its not about the passenger but what is the cheaper option for the company & shareholder. Networkrail who are responsible for the track couldn't give a shit about inconvenience, but only their back pockets & shareholders.

I look forward to the day when we have a government who have the balls to take the rail industry back into National hands. Privatisation has been a disaster for the passenger.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
How many other countries close down main lines on a Saturday causing untold disruption?

How about utilising night time when there's no trains running? If it means spreading the work out over two or three nights then so be it.

Saturday engineering works rarely occurred during BR days. With privatisation, its not about the passenger but what is the cheaper option for the company & shareholder. Networkrail who are responsible for the track couldn't give a shit about inconvenience, but only their back pockets & shareholders.

I look forward to the day when we have a government who have the balls to take the rail industry back into National hands. Privatisation has been a disaster for the passenger.

Some jobs are just too big to be done overnight that's why they need the line closed for the weekend, It happened in the days of BR and it will always happen.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
How can a job be too big to do at night!?
Does it get smaller in the day?

I'm no engineer and I'm sure someone could answer better than me but I think the point is that there's an initial setup and wind-down element (don't know the technical terms) in these projects. In other words, a significant amount of time is spent getting the workers into position, with equipment, and off again and that work can't be half-finished - if a rail is lifted, then it has to be put back again. If, say, there is a five-hour time slot to work in - and three to fours of that is spent getting into position and back again - and only one or two hours is spent working - then it's not an effective use of time. Working at the weekend and closing down entirely could mean a job can be done in one go.

Of course, Pinkie Brown's argument still applies but it's not just a question of a little bit of extra work, there's a lot more to do. And I'd imagine that a five-fold increase in maintenance cost would result in a pretty hefty fare increase - not sure too many people would want to swallow that.

He's quite right about nationalisation though - but it ain't going to happen.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Brighton & Hove Albion v Portsmouth , Saturday 10th March

Engineering work between Barnham and Littlehampton means that we will be providing an enhanced rail replacement bus service between the two stations.

This means that journey times will be extended by up to 40 minutes, so please travel earlier, allowing for an extended overall journey time. Thank you.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Networkrail who are responsible for the track couldn't give a shit about inconvenience, but only their back pockets & shareholders.

I missed this bit when I read your post yesterday. Network Rail doesn't have any shareholders, That was all abolished at the same time as Railtrack.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here