Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rage Against the X Factor

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
It makes me laugh that 'new' fans of this group cant see they are being manipulated as much as fans of X Factor

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Here is how I see it.

Few people wanted to see X Factor top the Xmas chart again, so some bright advertising bloke plucks a third rate band from obscurity and starts an Internet campaign.

As a protest vote loads of people buy the single, most of which will never play it again.

The mission is accomplished and the group having made loads of money now sets out on a campaign to cash in further. Create an apparent shortage of tickets, whip up a frenzy around the bandwagon that is now in motion and mugs will scramble for tickets.

This makes X Factor marketing look second rate.

Last edited:

gruntage

Jan 14, 2008
Bristol
Here is how I see it.

Few people want to see X factor top the Xmas chart again, so some bright advertising bloke plucks a third rate band from obscurity and starts an Internet campaign.

As a protest vote loads of people buy the single, most of which will never play it again.

The mission is accomplished and the group having made loads of money now sets out on a campaign to cash in further. Create an apparent shortage of tickets, whip up a frenzy around the bandwagon that is now in motion and mugs will scramble for tickets.

Surely staging a FREE show will cost them money? And any cash they do make will be from cd sales. Which if they are significant it rubbish's your claim to them being a 'third rate band'?

To argue this is great marketing is crap as its hardly been widely published. How many papers etc have ran the story? Pretty poor marketing id say id if its money they want.

Shifty89

Sep 29, 2007
Here is how I see it.

Few people wanted to see X Factor top the Xmas chart again, so some bright advertising bloke plucks a third rate band from obscurity and starts an Internet campaign.

Alternatively those of us who were already fans of RATM got to enjoy seeing a band they love being surprise no. 1, and get a free gig to go to (hopefully). I personally didn't buy the single as i already have the album, not going to stop me trying to get a ticket for the free gig though, win win.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
1. Surely staging a FREE show will cost them money?
2. And any cash they do make will be from cd sales. Which if they are significant it rubbish's your claim to them being a 'third rate band'?

1. Ever heard of loss leaders
2. X factor pushed all its songs to massive sales figures. Are you claiming that's a true measure of musical brilliance.

This band is just a fad, used to exploit the vulnerable.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Alternatively those of us who were already fans of RATM got to enjoy seeing a band they love being surprise no. 1, and get a free gig to go to (hopefully). I personally didn't buy the single as i already have the album, not going to stop me trying to get a ticket for the free gig though, win win.

Respect to a true fan:thumbsup:. How do you feel about all these numpties climbing on the bandwagon and depriving real fans of tickets?

gruntage

Jan 14, 2008
Bristol
The fact the song is still popular after 16 suggests they are better than you think. I agree the campaign was fickle, but funny. It may not be popular with everyone or the radios but the band are huge in the alternative scene. Hence headlining massive festivals around the world. So to call them third rate is rubbish. Just as they aren't your thing doesn't mean they are bad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here