Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Rafael Varane

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
:nono: :nono: :nono:

Such sad news about Rafael Varane this morning, only 31 too.

He will be a huge loss to the general football family, he was a joy to watch, at his peak arguably the greatest central defender in the world, such a storied career and so many trophies.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I'm sorry, I'm a bit
Steve Coogan Shrug GIF

Footballers come, footballers go

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I do not think it is PERMITTED to talk / write about Varane, without referring to him as a ROLLS ROYCE of a defender.
Indeed, except for the last couple years where he has been a Silver Shadow of his former self.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I don't think it's sad news, I think it's great news. It takes a brave footballer to retire at 31, especially one with his CV. His legacy was starting to diminish I feel, and he can leave Man United with last year's FA Cup and not trawl through the "minor leagues" as his powers continue to weaken.

Far more footballers should do this in my opinion.

Withdean South Stand

Mar 2, 2014
I don't think it's sad news, I think it's great news. It takes a brave footballer to retire at 31, especially one with his CV. His legacy was starting to diminish I feel, and he can leave Man United with last year's FA Cup and not trawl through the "minor leagues" as his powers continue to weaken.

Far more footballers should do this in my opinion.
You don't think it's sad news that one of the best defenders of their generation has retired at 31 due to a serious injury suffered on debut at a new club in a new league? He went to Serie A for a new football challenge and almost immediately suffered a significant injury which has prompted a premature retirement.

I get the sentiment generally, although I enjoyed seeing former Premier League players moving down through the leagues. Lee Hendrie for example, I thought he was a class act for us during his brief spell and you could see the difference in quality he had. I'm not suggesting Rafael Varane would have ended up playing for Burton Albion or the like, but there is something impressive about former top class players playing at a lower level.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
You don't think it's sad news that one of the best defenders of their generation has retired at 31 due to a serious injury suffered on debut at a new club in a new league? He went to Serie A for a new football challenge and almost immediately suffered a significant injury which has prompted a premature retirement.

I get the sentiment generally, although I enjoyed seeing former Premier League players moving down through the leagues. Lee Hendrie for example, I thought he was a class act for us during his brief spell and you could see the difference in quality he had. I'm not suggesting Rafael Varane would have ended up playing for Burton Albion or the like, but there is something impressive about former top class players playing at a lower level.
In all honesty, having read the whole statement from Varane I didn't come across to me that the injury was the reason for his retirement.

"I have fallen and risen a thousand times, and this time, it's the moment to stop and hang my boots up with my final game winning a trophy at Wembley,"

If that is the reason and it's injury driven, then of course it's sad.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
In all honesty, having read the whole statement from Varane I didn't come across to me that the injury was the reason for his retirement.

"I have fallen and risen a thousand times, and this time, it's the moment to stop and hang my boots up with my final game winning a trophy at Wembley,"

If that is the reason and it's injury driven, then of course it's sad.
Sad for us as football fans though that we will never see such an accomplished player on the football pitch again? He was a joy to watch, and in his popm the best in the world in his position.

Hopefully he will at the very least be signed up for Soccer Aid next year (even though it will surely be the death knell for England retaining the trophy).

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Just for context his statement in full...

"Chaucer once famously said all good things must come to an end. In my career I have taken on many challenges, rose to occasion after occasion, almost all of it was supposed to be impossible. Incredible emotions, special moments and memories that will last a lifetime. Reflecting on these moments, it is with immense pride and a feeling of fulfilment that I am announcing my retirement from the game that we all love.

"I hold myself to the highest standard, I want to go out strong, not just holding on to the game. It takes a big dose of courage to listen to your heart and your instinct. Desire and needs are two different things. I have fallen and risen a thousand times, and this time, it’s the moment to stop and hang my boots up with my final game winning a trophy at Wembley.

"I have loved fighting for myself, my clubs, my country, my teammates and the supporters of every team I have played for. From Lens to Madrid to Manchester, and playing for our national team. I have defended every badge with everything I have, and loved every minute of the journey.

"The game at the highest level is a thrilling experience. It tests every level of your body and your mind. The emotions we experience you cannot find anywhere else. As athletes, we are never satisfied, never accepting of success. It is our nature and what fuels us. An insatiable appetite to improve, that hunger and drive is what makes us elite players special.

"As Robbie WIlliams once sung, I have no regrets, I wouldn’t change a thing. I have won more than I could have even dreamed of, but beyond the accolades and trophies, I am proud that no matter what, I have stuck to my principles of being sincere and have tried to leave everywhere better than I found it. I hope I have made all football fans proud.

"And so, a new life begins off the pitch. I will remain with Como. Just without using my boots and shin pads. Something I am looking forward to sharing more about soon.

"For now, to the supporters of every club I played for and against, to my teammates, coaches and staff… from the bottom of my heart, thank you for making this journey more special than my wildest dreams could ever foresee. Thank you football, with love Rapha."

Last edited:

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Sad for us as football fans though that we will never see such an accomplished player on the football pitch again? He was a joy to watch, and in his popm the best in the world in his position.

Hopefully he will at the very least be signed up for Soccer Aid next year (even though it will surely be the death knell for England retaining the trophy).
But that's kinda my point, he wasn't that player anymore. I think it would be more sad to watch formerly awesome players in terminal decline.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014

I don't know about "pomp", but I know "pomp"ous twaddle bollox threads when I see them. ;)

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Binkin eck!

I read the first sentence of the OPs post and thought the guy had DIED ffs.

I think I‘ve been Crodowooshed :ffsparr:

pigmanovich

Good Old Sausage by the Sea
Mar 16, 2024
London
Not fussed as long as that other bloke Raphael Varane doesn't retire, he's got plenty of football left to play

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Mad that he’s being described as “retiring early” and he’s two months younger than our manager

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here