Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Radio Sussex. Brighton football pundit.

Mr Everyone

Jan 12, 2008
Long Eaton
Gary Chivers was easily the best all season. Get him back next year. Much better than Adam and John.

Surely it is time to have a major revision when it comes to Albion's radio coverage.

Would it not be possible for someone like Juice, or even Reverb to take the baton from BBC?

The main commentator, Jonny Cantor, was the only positive I can think of when assessing the local BBC coverage. The phone-ins were so average, they didn't do them after the midweek games.

Time for the radio output to mirror the new Brighton next season?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Surely it is time to have a major revision when it comes to Albion's radio coverage.

Would it not be possible for someone like Juice, or even Reverb to take the baton from BBC?

The main commentator, Jonny Cantor, is the only positive I can think of when it comes to the local BBC coverage. The phone-ins were so average, they didn't do them after the midweek games.

The BBC has a national contract, so the Albion have to toe the line. Phone ins are only any good when there is controversy to talk about otherwise they are as boring as hell.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Chivers was really good yesterday,although they should still keep Johnny Byrne for home games.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

The main commentator, Jonny Cantor, was the only positive I can think of when it assessing the local BBC coverage. The phone-ins were so average, they didn't do them after the midweek games.

The big issue in that is that the BBC is in no way run by the Albion. We're lucky that we get Chivers and Byrne!

As for Hinsh, hot the greatest. Whenever we are losing or not winning massively, he goes with the "If I were Gus..." and then talk about what he would do to change the way we were playing. Listening to the MK Dons game was horrid with both commentators slating both Gus and the team throughout.

I know opinions were sought on the radio but I find the commentary overwhelmingly negative whenever we are not at our imperious best. I can't afford many away games sadly so rely on the BBC commentary (and NSC ratings) to judge performance. Therefore, based on the Beeb alone, it would often be then case that we were a poor mid-table team with a boss who was clueless.

HOWEVER, we are blessed to have great coverage on a saturday most of the time.

Mr Everyone

Jan 12, 2008
Long Eaton
The BBC has a national contract, so the Albion have to toe the line. Phone ins are only any good when there is controversy to talk about otherwise they are as boring as hell.

I think Leeds have not honoured that contract, as Bates invented his own station, Radio Yorkshire I think, to produce Leeds' exclusive coverage.

Driving back from work when Derby are playing, BBC Derby's offering is far, far more passionate, fluid and professional.

People like Richard Reynolds and that chap from the Daily Star, don't sound like natural Brighton fans.

Have to say the posh lads on Reverb do present a good effort.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
He was good wasn't he? Although he did sound like Andy Townsend, which was a bit disconcerting.
Must admit,initially I thought it was Andy Townsend. Adam drives me mad as he keeps saying ' without a doubt'

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Gary Chivers was excellent.

It would be nice to have a commentator that described the game in detail, rather than commented on what they can see but we can't.

Sep 1, 2010
I think Chivers was excellent, i think he should become a regular. Like others have said he does sound like Townsend and i thought i was him for the first few mins

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I agree Chivers was excellent. The phone in is crap because it is run by Reynolds who is a Spurs fan and Ward who is an Arsenal fan. Ditch all of them and get some proper Albion football people on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here