Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Radio breakfast shows

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
I got SO sick of hearing about this f***ing Radio 1 Big Swindon weekend bullshit on Chris Moyles' show which usually wakes me up that I leapt to my feet and changed the station. I could literally take no more of their eternal gushing about how immensely GREAT this pathetic half arsed festival they put on will be. It sounds diabolical but fair enough let them have it BUT do I really have to keep being reminded about how immensely boring it is inevitably going to be?

It's not even as if they're selling tickets to it so need to drum up interest. They're GIVING them away (because no fucker would pay for that shit) so why the constant going on and on and on and on about it? Really does my head in.

Anyway, I re-tuned to find the Guy and Andrea breakfast show on Juice FM.

I lasted less than ten minutes and very quickly remembered why I allow my personal space to be violated by that fat oaf on Radio 1.

Juice was absolutely horrible. The music was beyond awful, the adverts were nauseating and the "banter" if you can call it that was truly shocking. At one point they proudly introduced a song by Deacon Blue as if we, the listener, should be DELIGHTED to hear this terrible shite. Unbelievable.

So I've gone back to the fat idiot on Radio 1. Why? Because they don't have adverts or as many songs. Songs on the radio are inevitably complete rubbish because there's absolutely no variety from station to station.

I should probably just cave in and admit defeat, start waking up to Wogan but I honestly have tried and the man just puts me straight back to sleep in the mornings, making a radio alarm pointless.

I long for a cheap internet radio that I can set to pick up a decent online stream and rouse me from my slumber each day because we have literally NO choice in this country but to listen to the exact same tripe on every non BBC channel (thanks a lot Global Radio group, owner of EVERY commercial station in the land bar Juice and Classic FM).

How has it come to this?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
christian o'connel - virgin radio :thumbsup:

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
When Moyles and the gang are funny, in my opinion, no one can come close, they've made me cry on many an occasion.

But when they're not being funny, it's very, VERY average radio.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
I can't get Virgin here and that US station looks a bit ROCK to me, and it's not much help if I can't set my alarm to wake me up to it.

I did used to listen to O'Connell when he was on Xfm and didn't mind him. Shame I can't get Virgin to try it out BUT they're just another arm of Global radio now so will inevitably be playing all the same tripe.

BBC Sussex is probably the most sensible suggestion, decent honest radio with no pretension and no terrible music.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The Today programme for me.

Whilst I know I really should, unfortunately Radio Four has long been ruined for me thanks to my parents' 24 hour reliance upon it which drove me INSANE as a kid as every single night I had to run round the house turning it off in EVERY room before I could get any sleep and would then be woken up each day, be it Sunday or bank holiday or even my birthday, by the same monotonous droning which now leaves me in pain to hear it. Even though I do want to listen to what they have to say I just can't.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
I did used to listen to O'Connell when he was on Xfm and didn't mind him. Shame I can't get Virgin to try it out BUT they're just another arm of Global radio now so will inevitably be playing all the same tripe.

How could you get XFM but not Virgin (Absolute radio now)? If you could get XFM in Brighton you must have DAB so you can get both shirley?

And for the record XFM is by far the best radio station in the country, do not bother with any other tripe!

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I can't get Virgin here and that US station looks a bit ROCK to me, and it's not much help if I can't set my alarm to wake me up to it.

BBC Sussex is probably the most sensible suggestion, decent honest radio with no pretension and no terrible music.

You could download the podcast each evening and use your mp3 as your alarm in the am (if you have one).

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Used to listen to Talksport, but they send you back to sleep in the morning. So boring, I do expect them to talk about football but they are always going on about Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and stephen G.

For a test I just decided to switch to TalkSport and guess what they where talking about, Arsenal. Yawn, yawn, yawn....

I now listen to Radio1, at least it has some life.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
I got Xfm when I lived with my 'rents o'er the border in Slurry where they pick up all the London broadcasts. I canne pick it up here in Brighton.

Podcasts would be awesome to wake up to but alas I have no such function on my stereo to play MP3's and my computer has no function to act as an alarm. Poo

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
I forgot all about XFM, a good station.

I remember driving back to Brighton after picking up my girlfriend from Luton and I said to her in the car, SCR is usually very boring I would not bother, so I put it on anyway to the prove the point. They where only talking about how to boil the perfect egg, had us in stitches. Won't complain about SCR because I love the comm and phone in.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
I tuned in to SCR a while back to hear a phone-in on what you keep in your fridge door.

The stupidest part was that nobody seemed to be even screening the calls and so inevitably every caller just said Milk.

Classic. The sort of foolery you couldn't make up

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
Do they still have Henry Kelly on the Classic FM Breakfast Show?

Also does anyone know what Radio 3 is like in the AM?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I tend to listen to XFM. Frankly I would rather listen to Radio Three or for that matter paint drying than listen to Chris Moyles, possibly the most overpaid BBC employee ever.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here