Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Race across the world

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
It was a brilliant season on a par with season 1 for me. I warmed to the lads and so glad they won.

Series 2 was also excellent but series 3 was boring and forgettable with no real standout couples in my opinion.

Looking forward to the celebrity one and also series 5.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
really like this programme. I'm glad that those two young lads won, they seem like sound guys, both very in tune with their own flaws and accepting of each others

wonder where they can go next, maybe from the top of africa to the bottom?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
really like this programme. I'm glad that those two young lads won, they seem like sound guys, both very in tune with their own flaws and accepting of each others

That would be great - probably a few countries / areas to be avoided.

Perhaps Russ Cook could act as a consultant...?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Thought it was average at best. In the end I was just watching it for the places and had very little interest who won.

Was obvious from the first episode who the top two teams were going to be.

I started off wanting the black mother daughter combo to win as I thought the daughter was great throwing herself in the deep end from a language point of view. Her mother seemed genuinely proud of her. But as the series went on her baiting of her mother (she was awesome at knowing what buttons to push) grated as did her mothers burying her head in the sand approach to parenting. When she did say anything the daughter just played the "you weren't around for me during my childhood" card which was EXACTLY the same as the father daughter team in the last series. I also found it double standards that they got the hump when the brother told a white lie to them about a bus connection when they then lied about their finances to the young lads.

The young lads were worthy winners due to their enthusiasm but as I said on the other thread on this after two episodes that I think they would still be in Sapporo if they hadn't been spoon fed where to go.

The brother and sister were the most likeable pairing out of the lot of them.

The older couple, he was a nause and even she started to grate at the end.

Shame the white mother daughter pairing were knocked out as they appeared quite likeable as well but obviously just a bit shit at it. Again exactly like the brothers in the last series.

The thing that pissed me off the most was how stage managed it was. They weren't even hiding it towards the end. That may have been the case in previous series but it wasn't as obvious. No surprise every team had a go at being in the lead. As others have mentioned on this thread then there were the hard life stories. It was worse than X Factor for that this series.

The first two series were great. Third was awful. This one was watchable but has nothing on the first two series' IMO.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Top of Scandinavia to somewhere in Africa would be really good for variety of location/climate etc.

BiffyBoy

Aug 20, 2012
Having lived in Japan and spent time in Malaysia I absolutely loved this series.

The scrawny, slightly annoying one out of the winning pair is apparently a football referee. Nevertheless, I warmed to them throughout and they certainly dispelled some of the Gen Z stereotypes you see on here.
hahaha, to be fair, had you not told me that, I'd probably have been able to guess. He gives off proper referee vibes!

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
It was a brilliant season on a par with season 1 for me. I warmed to the lads and so glad they won.

Series 2 was also excellent but series 3 was boring and forgettable with no real standout couples in my opinion.

Looking forward to the celebrity one and also series 5.

Yeah looking forward tov the celebrity one next time, hopefully they bin off the non famous travelling partner too which was a bit of a snoozefest. They had a really exciting line-up last time before covid struck.

Colin Jackson and Tony Jarrett
Cliff Thorburn and Nigel Bond
Ainsley Harriott and James Martin
Greg Wallace and John Torode
Jordan and Diane Abbott

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
The reunion programme shown after the final also show a bit more about the background behind making the show.

BiffyBoy

Aug 20, 2012
Maybe they could replicate the "Hardest Geezers" African route - South to North point to point? I like the idea of Africa but wonder how viable it is with transportation, visas, safety etc.

I read they've closed applications to start filing later in the year, so there must be some locations in mind.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Maybe they could replicate the "Hardest Geezers" African route - South to North point to point? I like the idea of Africa but wonder how viable it is with transportation, visas, safety etc.

I read they've closed applications to start filing later in the year, so there must be some locations in mind.
A mate of mine did Tunisia to South Africa in a sort of jeep cum camper van thing. So it’s doable, but requires a careful route to avoid civil wars, blocked borders etc. He did have a couple of hairy situations though

BiffyBoy

Aug 20, 2012
That would be great - probably a few countries / areas to be avoided.

Perhaps Russ Cook could act as a consultant...?
Apologies, I missed this and said something very similar a few posts later.

I'd like Africa over India. It would be interesting with the lack/frequency of railways.

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
The problem with the show is it is going to run out of routes very quick , as there are certain places that are no go due to conflict and danger. Personally I think Portugal to Estonia would be an interesting route

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Wasn’t going to bother with the last episode but just watched it and glad I did. The behind the scenes stuff was quite interesting.

Didn’t change my opinions on any of the teams though. If anything it made me dislike the older couple even more. Weighing knickers and running up and down their garden with back packs was David Brentesq.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Thought it was average at best. In the end I was just watching it for the places and had very little interest who won.

Was obvious from the first episode who the top two teams were going to be.

I started off wanting the black mother daughter combo to win as I thought the daughter was great throwing herself in the deep end from a language point of view. Her mother seemed genuinely proud of her. But as the series went on her baiting of her mother (she was awesome at knowing what buttons to push) grated as did her mothers burying her head in the sand approach to parenting. When she did say anything the daughter just played the "you weren't around for me during my childhood" card which was EXACTLY the same as the father daughter team in the last series. I also found it double standards that they got the hump when the brother told a white lie to them about a bus connection when they then lied about their finances to the young lads.

The young lads were worthy winners due to their enthusiasm but as I said on the other thread on this after two episodes that I think they would still be in Sapporo if they hadn't been spoon fed where to go.

The brother and sister were the most likeable pairing out of the lot of them.

The older couple, he was a nause and even she started to grate at the end.

Shame the white mother daughter pairing were knocked out as they appeared quite likeable as well but obviously just a bit shit at it. Again exactly like the brothers in the last series.

The thing that pissed me off the most was how stage managed it was. They weren't even hiding it towards the end. That may have been the case in previous series but it wasn't as obvious. No surprise every team had a go at being in the lead. As others have mentioned on this thread then there were the hard life stories. It was worse than X Factor for that this series.

The first two series were great. Third was awful. This one was watchable but has nothing on the first two series' IMO.
All these " reality " shows have to have backstory and tragedy alongside...although Betty popping up with " You don't know how hard life is for me with only one kidney and no womb " was rather unexpected, to say the least.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here