Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] R.I.P Clive James

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
His biographical books - Falling Towards England comes to mind - were definitely not to be read on crowded trains. Shoulder-shakingly funny.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
A great broadcaster but an even greater writer. His autobiographies are terrific and his collections of essays are quite stunning. His TV reviews were wonderful too; often appreciating popular entertainment others dismissed as trash while sometimes skewering shows that most critics had gushed over (examples that stick in my mind are Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy and an Alan Bennett play directed by Lindsay Anderson).

Clive James: All I can do is turn a phrase until it catches the light.

Absolutely. His writing was superb, a true genius at both style and content. While the image many people have is of the TV shows mocking Japanese game shows and the like, I remember his autobiographies, essays and reviews in The Observer far more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
“Kissing her was like cleaning an ashtray with your tongue.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
RIP Clive, a fantastic writer across so may formats, I loved his autobiographies and his collected works of tv reviews. He would usually only be critical in a gentle way and if he came across an excellent programme, series/play we would be unstinting in his praise. He was always a big fan of (Sir ) David Attenbourough and said along the lines of " I always admire any presenter who is willing to go head first up to the shoulders into a Termite Hill to get a shot. ".

His TV criticisms were often hilarious and I often would cry with laughter reading them.I remember his review of the Lou Ferringo version of " The Incredible Hulk " …. Hulk, in common with many other " Action " heroes does his action scenes at glacial speed. However slowly the bad guys run, The Hulk runs slower, yet still he catches them and with a supreme act of lethargy throws them upside down through the side of the nearest barn. He is able to do this as it appears he has two sets ofshoulders, one on top of another to the extent that his arms hang out from his sides as if his armpits had pile's " ….

Sad day but his writing lives on, RIP

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Clive James on the NHS:

“One of the virtues of the NHS... it doesn't worry you about money at the moment when you're least capable of doing anything about it.”

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
He was literally dead around 8 years ago, did well to last. Brilliant journo, brilliant presenter. Two down, one to go.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Sad news, great Sunday night entertainment and a very funny guy. He brought us those Japanese game shows and Margarita Pracatan. Great TV.
RIP Clive

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Very sad indeed, I loved his work. A sense of humour drier than the Australian outback, he was a quite brilliant writer and broadcaster. I have a couple of books of his which are compendiums of his columns when he was a TV critic for The Observer for about 10 years, and so much of his writing was literally laugh-out-loud funny. (Visions Before Midnight, The Crystal Bucket, and Glued to the Box - I'd recommend them to anyone).

I also went to see him filming one of his 'Clive James On Television' shows in a studio at the BBC, Wood Green some time in the early 90s. He performed his own warm-up act before they started recording, and chatted amiably with us in the audience between takes.

A lovely man. RIP.

Agree with all of this, I’d only add emphasis to your admiration of his written works, he was so underrated as a writer.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
RIP, one of the great broadcasters of our time

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Agree with all of this, I’d only add emphasis to your admiration of his written works, he was so underrated as a writer.

His TV critiques, essays and poetry are a lasting gift. A towering intellect, underwritten with a rakish wit and humour. He had such a unique turn of phrase, a gifted wordsmith who I have always admired. I've decided today that I don't have enough of his books. That will be remedied.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here