Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

QUICK POLL - Who would rather in charge on Saturday vs Derby?

Who would you rather see as our manager in the dugout on Saturday vs Derby?

• Sami Hyypia

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • Inigo Calderon

Votes: 51 63.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Can't vote for either, as Calde is a great man but we have no idea whether he is qualified, interested or any good at club management, we need experience and an Englishman, IMHO.

Scunner

Feb 26, 2012
Near Heathfield
I bet there was a point late in Sami Hyypia's Liverpool career when their (then) manager was failing, and a few of their fans were thinking "Let's get Sami in: club hero, full of drive & passion, player with lots of heart & ability, knows the club inside out....".

I think that's a bit of a patronising analogy. Leaving aside coaching badges - we have to for the hypothesis of the original poll to have merit - one is either a leader or one is not. Now, it's beyond question that Hyypia was a leader on the pitch for the bin dippers, but was he an engaging leader off it? You only have to listen to him for 30 secs to know that the editorial in November's Actuaries Monthly (accountancy in-joke) would have more charisma in its first paragraph than he will possess in his entire life.

Now, we know that Calde is a leader off the pitch. He takes care of new arrivals, integrates them and even drives them to training. He has bags of charisma and obvious leadership qualities. We don't know if they will metamorphose into authoritative traits, but it's a good start. I think others, including posters on this board, can see that, hence my comment about your post.

Because, whilst Liverpool fans may well have come to that conclusion from a distance, after meeting him the only thing they would remember is the scent of smelling salts after being awoken from the catatonic state he subsequently induced. They didn't really have the same opportunity to get to listen to him in the same way we have been able to with Calderon via video and social media.

The same can be said of the team, do you really, I mean really, think he would be able to galvanise them in the way Calderon would? Of course not...football is 25% tactics, 25% technique and 50% emotion at the level we see it played. Players are either up for it and their manager/team/club or they're not. Roy Keane had interesting thoughts on this in his first autobiography, probably ascribing even more relativity to emotion than I have here.

I am willing to bet that whatever Calderon would say in the dressing room before the game and at half-time the players would believe it, listen to it and try to enact it for their leader. I honestly don't think their thoughts about Sami are anything other than 'what the feck is this boring prick talking about again? talk about stating the obvious'.

I would rather Calderon were the 'Manager' on Saturday than Hyypia every single day of the week. 3 wins out of the last 35 or so competitive matches (some nerd will correct me) tells its own story.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Can't vote for either, as Calde is a great man but we have no idea whether he is qualified, interested or any good at club management, we need experience and an Englishman, IMHO.

You're right, we don't know if Calde is any good, but we do know that Sami is no good. So it can't get much worse!

I'm not sure I agree with those who state we need an Englishman. Why exactly? Our best manager for many years was Gus Poyet. Not English. Knowledge of English football and this league is vital though.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Calde, or Coppell, or McGhee in charge for Saturday please, with Hughton, McDermott or whoever ready to take over for the Millwall game.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Who was the last successful player manager (not just us but anywhere)?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Didn't he blast Colunga when he took that player out? Calderon has passion, the man is fast becoming an Albion legend.
I hope the club will employ him later on. If not we should all collectively come together and ask the club.

No he didn't he was in the face of the referee

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here