Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Quick, easy and TASTY suppers PLEASE

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Chicken, garlic and herbs: a simple supper

Nigel Slater’s recipe: very tasty but little washing up, a short shopping list & a straight forward method.

Ingredients – Serves 4
free-range chicken – either a small bird, jointed by the butcher, or 2 chicken pieces per person, skin and bones to remain in place
olive oil
butter – a thick slice
garlic – 6 large, sweet cloves
herbs – a small bunch of parsley, plus tarragon, thyme or chervil
wine – a large glass of white wine or dry vermouth
Directions

Rub the chicken all over with a little oil and some black pepper. In a large pan – it can be high-sided or shallow but it must have a lid – warm enough olive oil to give a small puddle at the bottom, then add the butter. Once the butter starts to froth, put in the chicken pieces and keep the heat moderately high while they colour. A pale and relatively even gold is what you’re after.
Meanwhile, put the whole unpeeled garlic cloves on a board and, with the flat blade of a knife, squash them so that they flatten but remain fairly intact. Throw them in with the chicken.
Turn down the heat so that the fat under the chicken is gently fizzing, then add a little sea salt, cover the pan with a lid and leave to cook over a low to moderate heat. The time it takes to cook will depend on the thickness of your chicken joints, but you should expect them to need about minutes. You’ll have to turn them during cooking so that they colour on all sides.
While this is happening, pluck the leaves from the herbs and chop them roughly. Transfer the chicken to a serving dish or warm plates, then fish out the garlic (although the garlic has done its work, it may be sweet and tender and is worth adding to the plate, though the skin should be discarded at some point).
Tip most of the fat from the pan – what you’re after is the golden, caramelised juice stuck to the bottom – then turn up the heat, pour in the wine and add the herbs and let it all bubble. Scrape away any stuck bits in the pan, encouraging them to dissolve into the wine with a wooden spoon. Let it bubble away for a minute or two until you have a thin liquor. It should be pale and interesting.
Now taste the juice for seasoning – it may need salt, pepper or a squeeze of lemon juice – and spoon it over the chicken.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Nigel Slater and Gordon Ramsay 30 minute recipe books have totally changed the way we eat as a family. Quick, tasty and with fresh ingredients. I understand you have no time to get them now but for the future they arr great when in a hurry but want great food.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I remember that you can pick up a selection of free sheep eyes from Fine Fare on London Road - yes, i know. Boil them for 3 minutes so they lose the majority of the memories of items they once saw and registered - remember Chappers that bodypart transplants tend to retain the most heinous elements of the character of their original owner and can be transferred to the eater or receiver of the limb or organ - and then pop three of them straight in the Pot Noodle of your choosing. 4 optical ovine orbs would be enough i reckon. You can grab a pair of straws when the noodle water has cooled, sucking two visual spheres onto the end of them. Roll yourself up under a rounded cardboard box, such as perhaps the one that held the enormous puffet i half-recall you recently buying, stick the straws with eyes on their front through two holes, and slither for the day in honour of the snail. It's a relaxation technique i was given. I notice you ask a lot of questions these days Chappers, obviously rather wound up, and sometimes befuddled, by life itself.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Cauliflower cheese with added chorizo and mushies has just popped into my head and is now IN THE LEAD.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I remember that you can pick up a selection of free sheep eyes from Fine Fare on London Road - yes, i know. Boil them for 3 minutes so they lose the majority of the memories of items they once saw and registered - remember Chappers that bodypart transplants tend to retain the most heinous elements of the character of their original owner and can be transferred to the eater or receiver of the limb or organ - and then pop three of them straight in the Pot Noodle of your choosing. 4 optical ovine orbs would be enough i reckon. You can grab a pair of straws when the noodle water has cooled, sucking two visual spheres onto the end of them. Roll yourself up under a rounded cardboard box, such as perhaps the one that held the enormous puffet i half-recall you recently buying, stick the straws with eyes on their front through two holes, and slither for the day in honour of the snail. It's a relaxation technique i was given. I notice you ask a lot of questions these days Chappers, obviously rather wound up, and sometimes befuddled, by life itself.

I am finding like increasingly confusing and unfair in my old age. I should stop watching 'the news'.

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
Chilli, mince, garlic, onions, peppers, chillies, smoked paprika, cumin, tomatoes, worcester suace (I also add some smoky chipotle hot sauce) whack it in a pan and simmer for as long as you want? serve with rice or chips or hot dogs? Submarine roll with hot dogs with chilli on the top, perfic

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Jerk seasoning, coca cola, ribs. Combine and roast low and slow. Serve with beer and this eves footy

Oct 25, 2003
Curried rice

Lightly fry some chopped red onions, chopped red peppers and chopped mushrooms.

Meanwhile fry some onions in a saucepan - add garlic, chilli, ground ginger, cumin, coriander, paprika and turmeric. Stir in well until the onions are soft. Add some rice (as much as you need), stir in well with the onions and spices, then add (bit by bit) chicken stock. Add enough stock to cover the rice, and place a lid on it. Every few minutes, add more stock to the rice as it soaks up the last lot.

After 15 minutes, stir in the fried onions and peppers and some frozen peas, and leave to cook for 5 more minutes.

would this work with some form of vegetarian stock? what i mean is, would it still be nice

it looks good and simple, the mrs. is vegetarian and is SHIT at cooking so it's usually left up to me to sort it all and i've never really cooked veggie style before

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Linguine
Prawns
1 red chilli
Garlic
Spring Greens

Method:
Cook the pasta, 3 mins before the end, stick half a pack (or more) of the spring greens into the pot with the pasta. Then get a wok smoking hot, chuck in the garlic chilli and praws, then eat that shit all up. Nice. :thumbsup:

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham

what are you on :smokin:
Oh and can i buy some:shrug:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Linguine
Prawns
1 red chilli
Garlic
Spring Greens

Method:
Cook the pasta, 3 mins before the end, stick half a pack (or more) of the spring greens into the pot with the pasta. Then get a wok smoking hot, chuck in the garlic chilli and praws, then eat that shit all up. Nice. :thumbsup:

I can't get enough spring greens.

D

Deleted member 18477

chicken, rice, brocoli. you're body builders though right?

Last edited by a moderator:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Beans on toast with grated cheese. She'll be over the moon when she gets in.

It's the grated cheese that makes all the difference.

There should be a new section on NSC - NSC recipes...

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Linguine
Prawns
1 red chilli
Garlic
Spring Greens

Method:

Like. Cheers!

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
Put some spaghetti on to boil. While it boils, fry some chilli and garlic in olive oil. Add a tin of chopped tomatoes to the chilli and garlic and simmer. Once spaghetti has cooked, drain and return to pan before pouring in the tomato/chilli sauce and mixing. Top drawer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here