Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Question Time tonight

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Offering to repay expenses claimed is tantamount to an admission of guilt that those expenses were wrongly claimed.

I'm an accountant and if HM Revenue & Customs discovered that one of my clients had defrauded the taxman of £10,000 they wouldn't accept simply being paid back - criminal charges would be brought against that client.

And if these MPs are willing to pay back the expenses not because they're wrong but just because they're a bit immoral what does that say about the whole expenses system?

You couldn't make this stuff up.

I wonder how Blears will pay HMRC. if she doesn't put an amended return in then she has no debt so will have overpaid and this could then be re-paid to her.

If she does amend her return then surely there would be interest and possibly surcharges to add?

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Have to say I am enjoying it. I don't think they are getting an easy time. What appals me is how out of touch they are. Beckett herself said at one point that the public don't understand.

Oh yes we f***ing do!!

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I've never been so interested in politics in my life - it's certainly roused the shires and dare say, we the common folk. I leave work, pick up my daily telegraph, listen to the phone ins, join debates amongst friends, families and colleagues etc..... To quote the McDonalds UK chief exec "it's nothing short of a national disgrace" I might even feel more strongly about this than the sale of the Goldstone scandal (hhhhmmmmm, no I can't possibly, I withdraw that statement). I think parliament should be disolved, a GE called but the most depressing letter so far this week to the telegraph (which has become essential reading might I add) is one, I think last Monday, that simply asked "what can we do though?" It's no use saying "we can vote them out" because we can't vote them ALL out. Moreover, it relies on them letting us do so e.g. calling an election, ensuring candidates from all parties stand for each constituency so there's a choice and so on and so on. It makes you realise how untouchable our MPs are and how powerful the establishment is in our so called democracy. In a more noble age, they'd have resigned but we seem to be a new age where they just don't have any decent integrity or shame. Don't even get me started on Michael Martin - nothing more than a shop steward protecting friends who is so out of touch with the public it's not funny.

It's enough to make you want to try and have a go at entering politics yourself isn't it? I mean, can we do worse than this rotten lot? Councillor Portlock has a certain ring to it don't you think?

Anyway, back to QT - essential viewing!!:thumbsup:

PS thanks for posting a clip of MP Pickles under the spotlight last week which I missed. The sheer front of the man. :ohmy:Rightly ridiculed:thumbsup:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
A Euro election special and still no Nick Griffin:angry:
*sigh*. The BNP are nothing more than a pressure group for white thickies. They barely flicker on the electoral radar so why should anyone give a f*** what they say?

I'd rather listen to Prince Charles' opinions on architecture than a noddy party's views on the political world.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here