Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Question Time tonight

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The panel will include the Housing Minister Margaret Beckett, Conservative shadow work and pensions secretary Theresa May, former leader of the Liberal Democrats Sir Menzies Campbell, assistant editor of the Daily Telegraph Benedict Brogan, and the CEO of McDonald's UK Steve Easterbrook.

Should be a good GRILLING tonight for Ming the Merciless and Theresa. Old Mingo scammed TEN GRAND from us lot to have his flat redecorated by an interior designer ("all within the rules" of course, so he's decided to give back £1500 of it...)

Could be a bloodbath (although he'd probably claim for that as well).

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
More of this please......

1 minute 4 seconds in. David Dimbleby :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

[YT]6MrFV4c_sVY[/YT]

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
A real sausage and egg mcmuffin of a Question Time.

"So, Sir Menzies...have YOU ever claimed for your hash browns?"

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It'll have to go some to beat the SAVAGING Eric Pickles took on that show a few weeks ago over his 2nd proprty allowance. I felt so embarrassed for him, it made me clench my bum a bit.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
That McDonald's bloke is the one who last year blamed child obesity on video games. Not the three Big Macs and fries he ate before that, then.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
That McDonald's bloke is the one who last year blamed child obesity on video games. Not the three Big Macs and fries he ate before that, then.

He was also the one that was out making jokes about Prezza's "bulemia"/weight, not a bad thing in itself you say, but the size of the bloke makes you think, stones, glass houses?

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
The panel will include the Housing Minister Margaret Beckett, Conservative shadow work and pensions secretary Theresa May, former leader of the Liberal Democrats Sir Menzies Campbell, assistant editor of the Daily Telegraph Benedict Brogan, and the CEO of McDonald's UK Steve Easterbrook.

Should be a good GRILLING tonight for Ming the Merciless and Theresa. Old Mingo scammed TEN GRAND from us lot to have his flat redecorated by an interior designer ("all within the rules" of course, so he's decided to give back £1500 of it...)

Could be a bloodbath (although he'd probably claim for that as well).

What did May claim for, those shoes she wore once at Tory conference?

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
I'm staggered that these corrupt MP's think that simply by writing a cheque for what they have claimed and apologising they think they are off the hook. If a suspect of mine I was interviewing for fraud or deception suddenly got his chequebook out and offered to repay the money he had obtained fraudulently it doesn't change the fact that he's committed the offence and I'm going to pursue him regardless. As far as I'm concerned some of these claims need investigating as crimes of fraud (or the old deception laws if committed prior to the new fraud act). Anyone got the guts to consider arresting some of the worst offenders? I doubt it!

Some offences to consider:

Fraud by abuse of position - Fraud Act 2006
Fraud by failing to disclose information - Fraud Act 2006
Fraud by false representation - Fraud Act 2006

Last edited:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I'm staggered that these corrupt MP's think that simply by writing a cheque for what they have claimed and apologising they think they are off the hook. If a suspect of mine I was interviewing for fraud or deception suddenly got his chequebook out and offered to repay the money he had obtained fraudulently it doesn't change the fact that he's committed the offence and I'm going to pursue him regardless. As far as I'm concerned some of these claims need investigating as crimes of fraud (or the old deception laws if committed prior to the new fraud act). Anyone got the guts to consider arresting some of the worst offenders? I doubt it!

:clap:

Well said

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Offering to repay expenses claimed is tantamount to an admission of guilt that those expenses were wrongly claimed.

I'm an accountant and if HM Revenue & Customs discovered that one of my clients had defrauded the taxman of £10,000 they wouldn't accept simply being paid back - criminal charges would be brought against that client.

And if these MPs are willing to pay back the expenses not because they're wrong but just because they're a bit immoral what does that say about the whole expenses system?

You couldn't make this stuff up.

acrossthepond

Jan 30, 2006
Ruritania

Some offences to consider:

Fraud by abuse of position - Fraud Act 2006
Fraud by failing to disclose information - Fraud Act 2006
Fraud by false representation - Fraud Act 2006

So how does a prosecution get launched then? Does a member of the public need to make an allegation, because if so I guess there will be a queue...

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Offering to repay expenses claimed is tantamount to an admission of guilt that those expenses were wrongly claimed.

I'm an accountant and if HM Revenue & Customs discovered that one of my clients had defrauded the taxman of £10,000 they wouldn't accept simply being paid back - criminal charges would be brought against that client.

And if these MPs are willing to pay back the expenses not because they're wrong but just because they're a bit immoral what does that say about the whole expenses system?

You couldn't make this stuff up.

A question for the legal eagles:
Could this be seen as setting a president (MP's admitting guilt but not getting charged), and therefore could somebody with a good enough lawyer get a reduced sentence for fraud because of the lack of charges bought about in Westminster?

- sorry that questrion is terribly worded, but I hope someone gets my drift!

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Difficult to see how any of the MP's could actually be prosecuted, being as (as they are so keen to bleat on about) they have "acted within the rules". The rules are obviously so lax that loads of them have clearly taken FULL advantage and totally exploited them...but I'm not sure a fraud charge would stick.

(apart from maybe a couple of isolated cases, like the guy who was "mistakenly" claiming mortgage interest expenses on a property that had no mortgage left on it)

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
As Pavilionaire says, it does highlight the 'two sets of rules' attitudes that prevail in this country for the great and the good.

When an MP does something like this, they bleat it's 'an oversight, a mistake, an accounting error, an admin cock-up'.

For any normal person, those excuses wouldn't save them from the law.

Try telling a traffic warden that it was an oversight, and could you pay the £1 now rather than the £60 fine...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here