Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Question of Sport revamp

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Interesting read and sums up why (for all the wrong reasons apparently) I’ve never bothered with rugby beyond hoping England lose.

Surely the most shit sport you invented over there. So much dead time.

Someone should start a campaign to remove it as the third most popular sport in the UK and replace it with Gaelic football.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I can't stand Sue Barker – whether presenting QoS or, on the rare occasion I catch it – on Wimbledon duties.

That said, I couldn't give a flying one that she's been replaced – nor do I care who takes over. And I REALLY struggle to understand how people get so worked up about people being replaced on a TV show. One that they probably don't even watch, but have some nostalgic notion that any form of evolution spells disaster and is an insult to them, personally.

And as for people complaining to OFCOM about a dance routine on an ITV entertainment show? Jeez, these people need to get a life or, at least, a hobby :dunce:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I can't stand Sue Barker – whether presenting QoS or, on the rare occasion I catch it – on Wimbledon duties.

That said, I couldn't give a flying one that she's been replaced – nor do I care who takes over. And I REALLY struggle to understand how people get so worked up about people being replaced on a TV show. One that they probably don't even watch, but have some nostalgic notion that any form of evolution spells disaster and is an insult to them, personally.

And as for people complaining to OFCOM about a dance routine on an ITV entertainment show? Jeez, these people need to get a life or, at least, a hobby :dunce:

Update. OFCOM have rejected all complaints.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Jeez, these people need to get a life or, at least, a hobby :dunce:

I read a load of these comments, on an article about QoS earlier.

Loads along the lines of "I've watched for 30 years, and I'm furious that they are getting rid of Matt and Phil"

How come they didn't stop watching, when they 'got rid' of 'Emlyn', or 'Bill', or 'Frankie' or 'Cliff', or 'Ian' or 'John' or 'Ally' :shrug:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I read a load of these comments, on an article about QoS earlier.

Loads along the lines of "I've watched for 30 years, and I'm furious that they are getting rid of Matt and Phil"

How come they didn't stop watching, when they 'got rid' of 'Emlyn', or 'Bill', or 'Frankie' or 'Cliff', or 'Ian' or 'John' or 'Ally' :shrug:

Not forgetting Henry Cooper and Cliff Morgan.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
I find the current status of female football pundits quite interesting; not wrong, just slightly intriguing in so much as they have gained more notoriety following their retirement than they had during their careers (which is kind of the opposite way these things usually work). I'll be honest, I know the likes of Alex Scott, Karen Carney, Eni Aluko etc. for their work on the TV rather than their footballing achievements. I've never massively followed the women's game and I could tell you relatively little as to who they played for, what position they played and any trophies they may have won, and I suspect I'm not the exception.

What you've got here are people who played the most popular sport in the country to the highest possible level for their gender, but a gender in which (for the bulk of their careers at least) relatively little attention was paid by the media and football fans in general. Then this wave of gender equality arrives, and I'm in no way suggesting that's a bad thing, and these freshly retired young women are catapulted onto the screen in front of single episode audiences probably greater than they achieved throughout their entire playing career.

They're there, front and centre, and yet most people know relatively little about them. I think that's what sits uncomfortably with some. No one takes issue in sports where the female game has historically been taken more seriously, such as tennis and athletics. Jessica Ennis-Hill would have no doubt triggered some debate about race and gender, but probably much less as people are more familiar with her career and achievements.

Alex Scott, therefore, is probably both a beneficiary and a victim of these changing times. The gender equality movement has helped her to opportunities which wouldn't have been afforded to women a generation before her, but subject to indignation that perhaps the next generation won't have to endure. Much of that of course depends on women's football's ability to continue to build its profile - there are signs of that happening but still a long, long way to go.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Yankee-rules Football is much more entertaining than Rugby Union.

A bit, I agree... havent watched too much of any as both bore me but if someone put a gun to my head I would go with yankeball.

There's so many good sports ou there though..

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I remember being in Spain or Holland during one international tournament and, at the end of the games, they conducted the manager interviews and that was it – off air. I thought it was quite refreshing and wonder (but seriously doubt) whether it would ever happen here.

Instead of listening to these no-marks stealing a living, stating the obvious and saying how football was so much better in their day, they just binned the lot of them? I know that some pundits occasionally add value and a 'unique' insight, but for the majority of the time they are on screen, I wonder if they would actually be missed?

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
I on the other hand will avoid the show like the plague, I can't stand the woman's voice, but then I'm not in the BBCs target audicience for this show.
Quite.

Be prepared for lots of 'we was', 'yous twos' and other poor use of the English language.

There was a time when presenters were chosen for their ability to speak properly, as well as their knowledge.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I remember being in Spain or Holland during one international tournament and, at the end of the games, they conducted the manager interviews and that was it – off air. I thought it was quite refreshing and wonder (but seriously doubt) whether it would ever happen here.

Instead of listening to these no-marks stealing a living, stating the obvious and saying how football was so much better in their day, they just binned the lot of them? I know that some pundits occasionally add value and a 'unique' insight, but for the majority of the time they are on screen, I wonder if they would actually be missed?

Dutch football pundits are great. They dont give a shit about upsetting someone or delivering a bunch of cliches and just about all of them got interesting tactical insights. They often disagree and argue with eachother and got heated, intellectual discussions.

Havent watched a lot of Spanish football pundits as I dont get the language but from my understanding they usually get one pundit representing each team (or Barca & Real if they are playing, whoever they are playing) to sit and scream as much artificial emotion they can and no one says anything of value, its just "we're the best in the world" or "sack everyone".

Quite jealous about the Dutch model of punditry, its much more interesting than the English (and Swedish) model of having a bunch of well-paid dumb former footballers saying absolutely nothing that you couldnt figure out yourself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here