Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Question for the older posters on this board

Milton Keynes Seagull

Sep 28, 2003
Milton Keynes
Izal came in flat packs with individual leaves, a bit like tissues today, so was totally useless for throwing.

Mind you, we were too poor to buy Izal. I used to use the squares of newspapers off the nail in the outside privvy

Luxury. Our home was a hole on a bomb site covered by a sheet of vermin infested tarpaulin. No toilet for us, after we'd been we were told to go outside and wait for rain to wash our bottoms, if we were lucky!

Then our dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt.

It was a good life though.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I've thrown bog rolls at the Albion, but I'm certainly not an old boy. The trick is to try and throw the main bulk of it whilst still briefly holding onto the loose end. :thumbsup:

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
It looked great when they all came streaming dow. One of the most impressive was v Wolves in the LC in 1968, a night game. Hiney, you must have a programme from the following home game and that would have some class pics, maybe you can do the honours?

As for loo rolls, my Dad worked at the RSCH and would, occasionally, bring home the odd roll or two. Every sheet had 'Government property' printed on it and I longed for government to come up in a spelling test. It never did!

Loo roll streamers at Falmer, make it happen!

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Izal came in flat packs with individual leaves, a bit like tissues today, so was totally useless for throwing.

Mind you, we were too poor to buy Izal. I used to use the squares of newspapers off the nail in the outside privvy

Squares of newspapers off a nail ?

You were lucky...

We had it tough....

We used our bare hands, which we would wipe on t'dog.

:p

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Would you get done for throwing bog rolls these days?

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Yeah, that stuff was HORRIBLE. Like wiping your arse on tinfoil. Ahh happy days ...

Not so much absorbent as redistributional.

Last edited:

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
Talking of oppo keepers anyone remember Charlie Wright ?

Played for Charlton and Bolton amongst others and spent half the game having a bit of banter with the crowd. Great character.
I remember Peter Shilton getting loads of "TINA,TINA" chants after revellations of him cheating on his mrs:lol:

It looked great when they all came streaming dow. One of the most impressive was v Wolves in the LC in 1968, a night game. Hiney, you must have a programme from the following home game and that would have some class pics, maybe you can do the honours?

Tut-tut FG. Just from memory I can tell you this massive game was definitely in season 1969-70. I even remember the headline in the B & H Gazette/Herald; "SO CLOSE, SO VERY, VERY CLOSE.....BUT WOLVES STEAL THE FINAL GLORY"

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Christ this thread makes me feel old.....kids asking about the days when bog rolls were thrown!:ohmy:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I've thrown bog rolls at the Albion, but I'm certainly not an old boy. The trick is to try and throw the main bulk of it whilst still briefly holding onto the loose end. :thumbsup:

indeed that is the technique !.. I once could not resist throwing one off the train as we thundered through Southwick at top speed and I had a multi bounce beauty which unravelled about 40 yards as it span along the platform !:thumbsup:

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008
Was at the game today and boring the ar@e of the bloke next to me going on about toilet rolls being thrown on the pitch and my post last night on NSC. He told me that was nothing and that in an important game back in the late 70's a "smoke bomb" was thrown from the south stand at the goldstaone onto the pitch. Think the old codger got confused and really meant a flare.

Anyway made me wonder how someone could get hold of a smoke bomb and what would make them take it to a game? Apart from throwing it on the pitch to obscure the goalmouth and let the Albion score! :lol:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Was at the game today and boring the ar@e of the bloke next to me going on about toilet rolls being thrown on the pitch and my post last night on NSC. He told me that was nothing and that in an important game back in the late 70's a "smoke bomb" was thrown from the south stand at the goldstaone onto the pitch. Think the old codger got confused and really meant a flare.

Anyway made me wonder how someone could get hold of a smoke bomb and what would make them take it to a game? Apart from throwing it on the pitch to obscure the goalmouth and let the Albion score! :lol:

I seem to remember a smoke bomb or flare being thrown on the pitch in the early '70's when we beat Palace 2-0 on a tuesday night game.. 33,000 all ticket sell out.. what a night !

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
Bloody hell. It may come as a surprise to the younger of you, but trains had toilet rolls. None of your sliding door. one sheet-at-a-time.push button flush bollocks.
The main transport to matches was train. And cheap it was. As it should be. Its a social service.

Bring bog rolls back, I say.

I apologise if this this is viewed as a WITCH HUNT against anyone at the club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here