Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Quantum mechanics anyone answer a ?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
In the mutilpul universe theory am i right in thinking there is infinite possibilities and universes for them to happen in? Does this mean in theory there is a universe where Billy Paynter scores every time he kicks the ball and in another no Brighton player has never had a player sent off?
If so the possibilities would be endless.

pipkin112

Aug 10, 2011
sompting
In the mutilpul universe theory am i right in thinking there is infinite possibilities and universes for them to happen in? Does this mean in theory there is a universe where Billy Paynter scores every time he kicks the ball and in another no Brighton player has never had a player sent off?
If so the possibilities would be endless.

:shrug:

Jimmy Come Lately

Registered Loser
Oct 27, 2011
Hove
Under quantum mechanics the referee can see how quickly a defender lunges in for a challenge but can't see where his studs are, so has no choice but to send the Brighton player off. Pawsonberg's Uncertainty Principle.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
All very informative and thought provoking, especially the pie, but after extensive research i can confirm it only works with a cat.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
And the Amex pie doesn't actually exist until you open the box, according to Schrodinger.

No no no. The pie exists, but it could be in one of two as yet unknown states - the 'steak' state and the 'chicken' state. Despite our best efforts to predict what state the pie is in before you open the box, even by asking for a certain state or having it written on the box makes no difference until the box is opened and the pie observed.

See, it's not the caterers fault when you get the wrong pie. It's nature's own quantum mechanics at its best. If this happens, sit back and marvel at the beauty of it.

And then go and change it.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
No no no. The pie exists, but it could be in one of two as yet unknown states - the 'steak' state and the 'chicken' state. Despite our best efforts to predict what state the pie is in before you open the box, even by asking for a certain state or having it written on the box makes no difference until the box is opened and the pie observed.

See, it's not the caterers fault when you get the wrong pie. It's nature's own quantum mechanics at its best. If this happens, sit back and marvel at the beauty of it.

lol

Seagull's Return

Nov 7, 2003
Brighton

Great explanation of both Schroedinger's cat AND the unknowableness of Amex pie content. Genuinely made me laugh, thanks!

Davey Boy Smith

Jul 5, 2003

Very good - nothing like a nerd joke...

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

You must also take into account that the pie could have jumped out of the box and be somewhere else in the universe.

I may be wrong, but my interpretation is that, while the box remains unopened, the pie is both steak and chicken. It is only once the box is open that the pie is determined to be only one of the two.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
You must also take into account that the pie could have jumped out of the box and be somewhere else in the universe.

I'm not sure than quantum theory allows for this, but, your pie at the Amex can be intrinsically linked with its twin pie at Selhurst, so if, when you open the box, the probability wave functions collapses into a Chicken pie in your hands at the Amex, its "twin" immediately becomes a meat pie in someones lap at Selhurst.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol

Of course. Like into your mate's mouth while you've been distractedly contemplating the nature of quantum mechanics. As one does at half time in a football match.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
I may be wrong, but my interpretation is that, while the box remains unopened, the pie is both steak and chicken. It is only once the box is open that the pie is determined to be only one of the two.

You're right, my mistake. Or, at selhurst, the meat is probably a horrible processed mixture of the two even after you open it too.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Of course. Like into your mate's mouth while you've been distractedly contemplating the nature of quantum mechanics. As one does at half time in a football match.

You've overlooked the influence of queue theory which states that only a finite number of pies can switch places during a 15 minute interval.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905

But surely Schrodinger's theory equally applies to the insides of the pie itself? Once you've opened the box you can see the pie exists but still have the unknown certainty of whether there is anything inside. It is only when you take a bite that you can truly get the answer of whether it is chicken 'state' or steak 'state'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here