Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

QPR to get 50 million

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
5th Richest man in the world invests in 20% of QPR

QPR fan at work recons they will sign some reasonable players on loan, probably from Italy in an effort to keep them up this year and then spend big at the end of the year....and look for another ground!

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
This is quite the coo for QPR, they have potentially more spending power than all the clubs in the premiership added together :eek:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I would make a sarcastic comment about buying success if I hadn't been hoping that David Gold would invest in the Albion so we could do the same:D
(not that he was ever going to put that sort of money in)

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Its a bizarre investment whatever way you look at it, QPR would really struggle to get 30k thorugh the turnstiles even if they were top 6 premiership and very little marketing opportunity from abroad. So I fail to see where they think they are going to get their return on Investment if they spend really large.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Is this necessarily good news for Rangers fans? QPR are surrounded by Chelsea, Fulham and Brentford, as well has having Arsenal and Spurs up the road. That part of London is densely populated with football teams, and you could see a move out to Heathrow a distinct possibility.

been on the pop at lunchtime?

QPR secure huge investment boost
QPR have been given a cash boost after the family of the world's fifth richest man bought a 20% stake in the club.
The son-in-law of Indian steel magnate Lakshmi Mittal, who is reportedly worth £50bn, will join Bernie Ecclestone and Flavio Briatore on the club's board.

"This investment is a great stepping stone towards the future development of the club," said a club statement.

"It supports the ambition of the current shareholders to reach the Premier League in the near future."

QPR are currently bottom of the Championship, but they could now potentially join near neighbours and FA Cup third round opponents Chelsea in the transfer market, should Mittal wish to spend his cash.

"The family is excited about becoming involved with QPR," said Mittal's son-in-law, Amit Bhatia.

"As a family, we love sport and particularly enjoy English football, and alongside Bernie and Flavio, we hope that we can improve the club's performance, with the ultimate ambition of a place in the Premier League."

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi/football/teams/q/qpr/7154202.stm

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
If the board had taken action to avoid relegation we could have big investors fighting to take us over,we would be a better option as no other competition between Portsmouth and London clubs.
If we dont sign 2/3 really decent players soon the chances of promotion will evaporate and we will have nothing to look forward too.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
If the board had taken action to avoid relegation we could have big investors fighting to take us over,we would be a better option as no other competition between Portsmouth and London clubs.
If we dont sign 2/3 really decent players soon the chances of promotion will evaporate and we will have nothing to look forward too.

heracy

BURN HIM

:flameboun:flameboun:flameboun:flameboun

you are not wrong though:whisky:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As it now seems that QPR have more money, with the directors all combined, than Chelsea will we see a similar situation whereby they move to a new ground out near Heathrow, Brentford have identified a sight so QPR may jump in first, and then buy a team to rival the top teams in the Premiership. That is my dream for us at Falmer but sadly the board do not echo my views with a 22k stadium.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Is this necessarily good news for Rangers fans? QPR are surrounded by Chelsea, Fulham and Brentford, as well has having Arsenal and Spurs up the road. That part of London is densely populated with football teams, and you could see a move out to Heathrow a distinct possibility.

I think QPR have got a HUGE fanbase, actually -- just one that doesn't always turn out for many games. They're probably most popular among "born and bred" west Londoners from an area streching from Kilburn to about Hayes.

My postie wears a QPR scarf when it's cold. Most of my girlfriend's year 2 class are QPR fans. In two years of living in west London, I've never seen a shirt on a pub wall that hasn't been QPR or Celtic.

Brentford have a very small constituency, as do Fulham. I think most people go to Craven Cottage because it's a relatively cheap way of seeing premiership games. Chelsea-goers are just posh gloryhunters from all over the south of England. Arsenal and Spurs fans all live in north London.

They're a great club with great fans, I think, and I'm worried they're about to get shat on. Read here for more

http://www.bakerandkelly.com/2007/10/10/up-the-rs/

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
The son-in-law of Indian steel magnate Lakshmi Mittal, who is reportedly worth £50bn, will join Bernie Ecclestone and Flavio Briatore on the club's board.

As an aside, my uncle made his fortune selling domestic appliances. He's a fridge magnet.

What?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Has to be asked tho, why three of the richest men on the non-oil-producing bit of the planet suddenly want to pump money into QPR. Can't believe it's just a low-class spiv Archer/Scally-type-thing where you make a football club homeless just to make a bit of small change profit on top of the pile you already have. Has to be more to it than that. Has to be an ego thing. Rich man's plaything. Side-bet with Abramovich maybe? Unless they plan to knock it down and hold The LOndon Grand Prix there of course. Hmmm, that might make sense.

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
As it now seems that QPR have more money, with the directors all combined, than Chelsea will we see a similar situation whereby they move to a new ground out near Heathrow, Brentford have identified a sight so QPR may jump in first, and then buy a team to rival the top teams in the Premiership. That is my dream for us at Falmer but sadly the board do not echo my views with a 22k stadium.

I am not sure I am keen on that vision. Firstly, where exactly would we be able to build this mega-stadium? Obviously I would love to have a jaunt in the premiership, but I would rather we got there through hard work and determination, rather than buy a new team. A life without struggle is a life without colour.

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
I think QPR have got a HUGE fanbase, actually -- just one that doesn't always turn out for many games. ...

They're a great club with great fans, I think, and I'm worried they're about to get shat on. Read here for more

http://www.bakerandkelly.com/2007/10/10/up-the-rs/

i lived in shep bush/hammersmith for 3 years and they are THE west london team, i have lot of friends from up harrow way and they're all QPR ... i didn't realise until speaking to a rangers fan how small Fulham really are - also even though they are pretty close to each other QPR don't regard fulham as the big derby, more Chelsea which is pretty fierce.

don't think they need anything bigger than 25k though - i beleive they struggled to fill the massive white city stadium when they lived there for a while.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here