Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Purely Hypothetical But... What's The Scent Most Likely To F*ck Up A Foxhound?

northstandnorth

THE GOLDSTONE
Oct 13, 2003
A272 at 85 mph
Scent Dullers - Bob Martins "Antimate" in aerosol cans from pet shops and chemists are ideal for immediate spraying after a hunted animal has passed or to destroy a scent in a small area. These can easily be concealed while you are at the hunt. Alternatives include garlic powder in a hot water solution, which can be made a few days before the meet, or crushed garlic cloves mixed during the summer and left to mature will provide a strong scent duller, other alternatives are Citronella or Eucalyptus oils, which you add to large amounts of water (then use as explained later in this booklet). Small garden hand sprays can be used as handy dispensers.

Never spray any substance on the hounds, horses, or supporters.

garlic salt is effective
try cloves

the odd grenade lobbed at the red coated people can rid the world of a few scum

bhaexpress said:
Of course, you do realise that when the hunts are done away with hundreds of foxhounds will have to be destroyed as they're not suitanble as pets.
And do you realise that ALL foxhounds are currently destroyed anyway, once their "working" careers are over? Same reason. What's the difference, apart from timing?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
bhaexpress said:
I thought it was aniseed that put the hounds off. Of course, you do realise that when the hunts are done away with hundreds of foxhounds will have to be destroyed as they're not suitanble as pets.

I find it a bit odd that the anti-hunt lobby hasn't jumped on this. I was trying to formulate an opinion regarding fox hunting and came down on the anti-side because of this very point. I have read (and therefore can't confirm) that in the process of preparing the packs for each hunt season 6,000 dogs are destroyed. They are either puppies not suitable for the pack, dogs that can't keep up with the rest and I guess "old" dogs and the injured. In any case very few of these 6,000 reach half of their natural lifespan.

We can all draw parallels with the meat industry, but for the pro-hunt lobby to play the animal welfare card, well it's a is a bit rich really isnt it ?

..and that's my conclusion really. A pro hunt campaigner could argue with me till they go blue in the face about the advantages of hunting in controlling the fox population over shooting and snaring. I would simply reply .."Yes that's all very well, but in the process you do go through quite a few dogs don't you ?"

Try as I might (and I have) to see the hunters point of few, I can't in the face of the above. If anyone can tell me different I would be genuinely interested.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Lord Bracknell said:
And do you realise that ALL foxhounds are currently destroyed anyway, once their "working" careers are over? Same reason. What's the difference, apart from timing?

Yeah I know, as a dog lover (Mrs BHA has five at present) I hate tthe Hunt followers even more.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
clapham_gull said:
I find it a bit odd that the anti-hunt lobby hasn't jumped on this. I was trying to formulate an opinion regarding fox hunting and came down on the anti-side because of this very point. I have read (and therefore can't confirm) that in the process of preparing the packs for each hunt season 6,000 dogs are destroyed. They are either puppies not suitable for the pack, dogs that can't keep up with the rest and I guess "old" dogs and the injured. In any case very few of these 6,000 reach half of their natural lifespan.

We can all draw parallels with the meat industry, but for the pro-hunt lobby to play the animal welfare card, well it's a is a bit rich really isnt it ?

..and that's my conclusion really. A pro hunt campaigner could argue with me till they go blue in the face about the advantages of hunting in controlling the fox population over shooting and snaring. I would simply reply .."Yes that's all very well, but in the process you do go through quite a few dogs don't you ?"

Try as I might (and I have) to see the hunters point of few, I can't in the face of the above. If anyone can tell me different I would be genuinely interested.

The claim that fox hunting is a good way to deal with foxes is utter rubbish. I doubt that it would be much use to deal with the little fellow who pops over my fence here in darkest Worthing to inspect my rubbish ! Still, he/she keeps the cats out so there's no cat shit around here.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
I think we should totally disassociate ourselves from any other political statement.

We are here to raise awareness for a need of a community stadium. Not get into trouble with other groups which would give us a bad light.

:falmerspi

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Issue all spectators with the high pitched whistles, all blow as one until they F*** off!! Surely they won't hang around with their dogs goin mental!!

Now that would be comedy!

The shortest demonstration ever!! AND they wouldnt know why the dogs are going mental as the pitch is too high for humans!!

:clap:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
So you dont like fox hunting, or those that practice it. your cunning method of protest is going to be to distress the hounds?

Some people really need to get on the f***ing clue train.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Point taken!
;)

Reflectively it was stupid idea as I for one am a big dog lover and hate to see em getting harmed! (again, stupid idea!)

Just want to think of a way to F*** up these toff tossers demonstration!

:wave:

DCgull

Jul 18, 2003
SW London
There are numerous points here (sorry if they have been made before).
If a dog doesn't have the right instincts to be exploited by these scum, they are dead, pure and simple. No ifs or buts.
The problem with foxes is not with them but with us. We incarcerate poultry and wonder why the fox thinks Christmas has come. It's a bit like someone going on supermarket sweep and saying "mustn't be greedy, think I'll just have a tin of peas". Studies have shown (not surprisingly) that foxes go back to the scene to pick up the remaining corpses if allowed. Reference I think is David MacDonald from Oxford. And also, you can't blame the fox when we leave so much rubbish around. This redefines the phrase 'easy pickings'.
Don't get sidetracked by the 'to be consistent you must be vegetarian' argument. I am vegan so I am pure. :angel: ;)
This argument presupposes that you can't have an opinion unless you are utterly consistent. None of us are, least of all the bumpkins. I appreciate you can't have rational discourse with these idiots but this is by far the most dimwitted argument they put forward (and it has some stiff competition).
Finally. The majority of the country want a ban. Every study has shown this other than the ones which are framed roughly 'do you want a ban or a thousand pounds?' End of story.

Rant over.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
What do they actually do, and do they harm the dogs?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
The Northstander said:
What do they actually do, and do they harm the dogs?

When I worked for Yorkshire Electricity the meter readers were given dog deterrents which gave out a high pitched noise to keep dogs from biting them.
They do distract the dogs but it hurts their eardrums.
Whether whistles have the same effect I'm not sure.

What's wrong with buying aniseed balls? The dogs are distracted and happy.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
In that case, I can't agree with it! Beagles or whatever are very intelligent dogs and it isn't their fault they are trained by arseholes to hurt another animal!

Aniseed balls for me!!

:clap:

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Is there an anti hunt march planned ?. If so I'll be there to give these tossers a piece of my mind. Anyone else up for it ?.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
think that may cause a little more aggro than needed!

Going on recent events they won't be afraid to jump ina cause havoc being the peacedful demontrators they are!!

If they are going dwon madeira drive perhaps something could be done from up on the higher level, something that will ruin their demo without harmin the dogs!

:nono:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
lots of dog whistles...no one can hear you but the dogs, they will go potty!

Sergi Gotsmanov

Feb 23, 2004
West of Palookaville
I think that you should all turn your thoughts to our march.

They are too many ill thought statements on here. An opinion on hunting is a personal one and sweeping statements about those involved are not very helpful.

It wasn't long ago that a football supporter = hooligan. This association came from exactly the same type of sweeping statements and ill informed comments.

March for Falmer!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here