Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pubs near the DEN for pre match beers?

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Duke Of Albany at Newcross is always nice and welcoming !

Here is what the "fancyapint" website says about it.

Approaching this pub, we thought it may have shut down due to the missing pub sign and letters, flaky walls etc. The interior is equally shabby with a dirty carpet and furnishings that have seen finer days. It's a pure Millwall pub, with Lions programmes and England flags all around. A mountain of filled rolls is behind the bar, though the surroundings don't exactly stoke the appetite. Only Lions need apply but if it looks familiar it maybe because it provided the location for Shaun of the Dead.

:wrong:

Looks inviting though!

pic2301.jpg

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
if you're serious (no idea why you'd want to avoid London bridge), the The Surrey Docks (Wetherspoons) is generally Millwall free but no colours. better pubs are to be found along Rotherhithe st, along side the river. Spice Island is ok, would as likly see a Arsenal or Chelsea shirt in there, others round there are ale pubs. if you want to embrace the locals, the closet pubs are as likly trouble if you're local and "dont fit" let alone an away football fan :lol: i'd avoid the Golden Lion, the Forresters or the Blue Anchor, in general. :lol: the Queens Head might be ok.

RickofBHAFC

Jul 27, 2004
if you're serious (no idea why you'd want to avoid London bridge), the The Surrey Docks (Wetherspoons) is generally Millwall free but no colours. better pubs are to be found along Rotherhithe st, along side the river. Spice Island is ok, would as likly see a Arsenal or Chelsea shirt in there, others round there are ale pubs. if you want to embrace the locals, the closet pubs are as likly trouble if you're local and "dont fit" let alone an away football fan :lol: i'd avoid the Golden Lion, the Forresters or the Blue Anchor, in general. :lol: the Queens Head might be ok.

Been in the Golden Lion, Blue Anchor and Ancient Forresters (correct name) on several occasions and never had a problem in any of them - the Golden Lion which was probably the worst of the three has now been shut down. The Millwall reputation is hyped up a bit by the media - if it is not a high-profile game and not one of their derby games and you're just looking for a quiet pint then you shouldn't have a problem. Millwall generally don't have a problem with Brighton fans and as long as you're not making it obvious where you come from - wearing colours, loud conversations or looking for trouble etc then you should be all ok. Blue Anchor and Ancient Forresters are about a 15 minute walk from the ground.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus

Approaching this pub, we thought it may have shut down due to the missing pub sign and letters, flaky walls etc. The interior is equally shabby with a dirty carpet and furnishings that have seen finer days. It's a pure Millwall pub, with Lions programmes and England flags all around. A mountain of filled rolls is behind the bar, though the surroundings don't exactly stoke the appetite. Only Lions need apply but if it looks familiar it maybe because it provided the location for Shaun of the Dead.

I actually HAS closed down now.

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
'Also on Borough High Street is the George Inn, which is owned and leased by the National Trust. It is an outstandingly beautiful building, and the pub itself retains its wooden flooring and wall panelling. It serves its own ‘George Ale’ which went down nicely'.

I use to work there part time behind the bar back in 1980. I can remember left over beer being poured back into the barrel.

D

Deleted User X18H

The Jolly Gardeners on Rotherhithe New Road is ok been in there a few times before Albion matches at the Den

siclean

ex hollingbury
Apr 14, 2009
why should anyone worry about where they drink near a ground, or about wearing their football shirt, i dont wear a footabll shirt myself, find em bit naff to be honest, but each to their own. Years ago i used to drive on my own to watch brighton play, west ham, portsmouth, oxford, oldham etc, i didnt wear a football shirt, but always wore a scarf, and was always in a pub nearest ground by midday. Manchester and liverpool cup games, loads of us went in way pubs, in the man u pub, we were even standing on tables singing away, suffice to say it wernt long before it kicked off:eek:

According to wiki it got converted to flats in 08....

Aug 21, 2006
Royal Arsenal
There are hardly any pubs near the ground and the ones that are near aren't horrible because of Millwall, they're horrible because of the horrible people that live near by. I am meeting up with some Millwall mates and even they donlt go to the pubs there, not through fear, just because it is not a pleasant experience, but if that's how you get your kicks then carry on. If you want banter with Millwall fans, then London Bridge will be packed with them too.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Been in the Golden Lion, Blue Anchor and Ancient Forresters (correct name) on several occasions and never had a problem in any of them - the Golden Lion which was probably the worst of the three has now been shut down. The Millwall reputation is hyped up a bit by the media .

as per Hercules above, its little to do with the football, they are just not pleasant pubs. you dont need to look for him, Trouble is loitering around by the pool table eye everyone up see if theres a fight or dodgy deal to be had. :lol: i lived round there for 8 years, my favored watering holes were the the Surrey Docks, The Grange or Spice Island. latter is loverly with terraces by the river.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Plenty of pubs around the Boroughs (market area) that would be fine to go to.

watsongooal

Jul 7, 2003
Chislehurst
Kings Head = £2.50 happy hour until 7ish. Gets busy tho.

Harveys and all sorts on tap

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
What is wrong with the PORTER? Lovely boozer.

I also think that if anyone fancies a pre-match beer near the ground and isn't wearing colours and can keep their heads down they should be able to mingle in easily enough.

Nothing really. Bit overpriced and a bit of a walk from LB but its ok.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here