Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Pubs in Tunbridge Wells for the away leg?

Its not an anything pub any more I think. Was all boarded up when I drove past the other week.

The Kelsey Arms is, I think, in line to become a Tesco Express or similar. Cassidy's, many years ago, was "The Castle Bar" as it was in the Castle Hotel which has been offices for probably the best part of 40 years.

The Crystal Palace up until a few years ago was a Harvey's House and was a civilised place to drink, lunchtimes at least, when the Harvey's aficionado's from NPI (any ex NPI'ers on here?) used to go over there for a pint or two and some cheap and cheerful food. I spent a very surreal New Years Eve in there around 20 years ago with some friends, the neighbour of whom was a classic style "pub singer" and kept the audience of average 60 plus age clientèle entertained, and reduced the very very drunk landlady to tears at the end of the evening with a god-awful rendition of a sentimental Irish ballad that could have been a Billy Connolly parody.

The irony of the current use of the Roebuck never ceases to amaze me, roughouse pub that wouldn't have been out of place in a dodgy part of Croydon, now a Mosque!

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
The Beau Nash, Sussex Arms, Duke of York all good memories.

True. I used to pop into the Royal Wells sometimes, tried it again recently - bit like an airport lounge, but easy to get a seat. Bruins and The Hole In The Wall were left-field choices - very central, but i can't recall ever going to either. Any good?

True. I used to pop into the Royal Wells sometimes, tried it again recently - bit like an airport lounge, but easy to get a seat. Bruins and The Hole In The Wall were left-field choices - very central, but i can't recall ever going to either. Any good?

Hole in the Wall has been gone a long time (20+), became an up market fish and chip restaurant and is now a shop. Remember the name Bruins but can't for the life of me remember where it was. This thread is making me feel old, even Wetherspoons has been there for over 15yrs.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
(any ex NPI'ers on here?)

Only for three months in 1993. Had plenty of friends there though, including one whose dad, handily, had a barber's in Camden Road. Boss of our floor at that time was Andrew someone. Want to say Andrew Eldritch, but he was the lead singer of Sisters of Mercy. Something like that though....

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Hole in the Wall has been gone a long time (20+), became an up market fish and chip restaurant and is now a shop. Remember the name Bruins but can't for the life of me remember where it was. This thread is making me feel old, even Wetherspoons has been there for over 15yrs.

A few doors down from KFC. Both have been gone for donkey's years. And, yes, we are old - i'll leave off the nostalgia now and get back to thinking about Friday....

A few doors down from KFC. Both have been gone for donkey's years. And, yes, we are old - i'll leave off the nostalgia now and get back to thinking about Friday....

Yes, remember. It had a chipmunk in a cage that reminded us of our boss when I used to drink in there occasionally - funny how these things stick in your mind! Way before my time at NPI (1997 - 2004) Andrew Strong perhaps?

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Yes, remember. It had a chipmunk in a cage that reminded us of our boss when I used to drink in there occasionally - funny how these things stick in your mind! Way before my time at NPI (1997 - 2004) Andrew Strong perhaps?

Re Bruins - That's the one. NPI 1997: i think my good friend Mr Swain was there then, if you knew him?

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
True. I used to pop into the Royal Wells sometimes, tried it again recently - bit like an airport lounge, but easy to get a seat.

I celebrated my last ever illegal drink in there, the night before my 18th birthday.

That was, erm, "one or two" years ago now...

CC2

Nov 9, 2008
May well head straight to Cassidy's from TW station when we get back, hopefully to celebrate!!! Presumably if we have won there will be a few in there still drinking.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
One Palace shirt with a couple of mates and about 30+ Brighton.

Good work SK and the rest!

Cassidys is the only pub in t/wells worth going to for the football. There will be plenty of Albion fans, we will outnumber the pikeys by 4:1 in there.

Seems like you overestimated the Nigels CM!!

I think you may find Cassidys will be mainly Palace actually.QUOTE]

:wozza:

I know the town well and was only suggesting that Cassidys might not be the Brighton haven you are suggesting.

:wave:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here