Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pubs In Reading That Will Allow Wearing Of Footy Shirts

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Wilts said:
Wrong! Just plain wrong. I am from that end and everyone is part of Reading in their head just not on council. No-one is from "Wokingham" so the theory is a lie, Wokingham is 6 miles down the road, and around 80,000 (as they keep saying in the local paper) are Reading.

Lewes is only about 6 miles down the road. So is Saltdean, Rottingdean, Portslade, Lancing etc. They are not part of Brighton and Hove though.

I've pulled figures directly from the National Cencus and yet they are wrong!??!

To ask someone if they've heard of Brighton in Europe is also a funny way to think about it. There is a lot more industry in Reading than Brighton. That is why I said it is a through raod with a load of industrial estates. That has nothing to do with the size of the place or it's population. Readings population is 143,124 which is a far cry from being in the top 5 biggest places in the south let alone third! If you have an issue with this then I suggest you get intouch with the Census people and tell them that they need to rename Berkshire Reading so that their figures are accurate.

It's even amusing that you are so sure of this. I thought you were joking to start with.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Whoops pressed the wrong button there!

I've started a new thread so this thread needn't get hijacked anymore.

apologies.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Wilts said:
Wrong! Just plain wrong. I am from that end and everyone is part of Reading in their head just not on council. No-one is from "Wokingham" so the theory is a lie, Wokingham is 6 miles down the road, and around 80,000 (as they keep saying in the local paper) are Reading.

!

I worked in Thames Valley Park and on one side of A329M roundabout is Woodley (Clearly signed Wokingham District on all road names) and the other side is Reading. Just because Earley and Woodley are nearer to Reading than Wokingham does not make them part of Reading !

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
Lammy said:
Lewes is only about 6 miles down the road. So is Saltdean, Rottingdean, Portslade, Lancing etc. They are not part of Brighton and Hove though.

I've pulled figures directly from the National Cencus and yet they are wrong!??!

It's even amusing that you are so sure of this. I thought you were joking to start with.

Ok ok - I'll make things easier!

I'm not including all places within 6 miles at all. I'm including everything within the Reading place itself, regardless of what borough it comes under. 143,000 in the central borough. Some places within Reading come under Wokingham District or West Berkshire district. Some places in Wokingham District are actually 6 miles from Wokingham, not 6 miles from Reading. They are part of Reading very much.

The census is indeed wrong as it is done by borough only. Are you telling me there are really around 140,000 people in Wokingham!? Absolutely not! The census also says that Nottingham has only 266,000 people which is definitely wrong! Look how much is missed out

Compare this of Brighton - MAP! and look out how the boundaries of the city are just absolutely miles from the place itself! A stark contrast you have to admit. Check out the Interactive Map feature if you're really interested/bored.

I'm not wrong, I assure you. You look at them maps.HERE

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
y2dave said:
I worked in Thames Valley Park and on one side of A329M roundabout is Woodley (Clearly signed Wokingham District on all road names) and the other side is Reading. Just because Earley and Woodley are nearer to Reading than Wokingham does not make them part of Reading !

Granted, but if you'd known anyone who was here before they chose the boundaries after closing down Berkshire County Council then you'd know. Your experience is not the same as those who have lived in Reading all their lives and end up in Wokingham District!

There was uproar then and there still is now.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Wilts said:
Granted, but if you'd known anyone who was here before they chose the boundaries after closing down Berkshire County Council then you'd know. Your experience is not the same as those who have lived in Reading all their lives and end up in Wokingham District!

There was uproar then and there still is now.

Guy I'm sitting next to lives in Earley and knows nothing of this uproar. He would prefer to be considered part of Wokingham district as Wokingham was voted best place to live last year and Reading is stigsville. I think his opinion is probably shared by the majority.

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
y2dave said:
Guy I'm sitting next to lives in Earley and knows nothing of this uproar. He would prefer to be considered part of Wokingham district as Wokingham was voted best place to live last year and Reading is stigsville. I think his opinion is probably shared by the majority.

Of course it is now! That's because of all the NIMBYs who don't want their property value go down by being in Reading as Wokingham is very affluent.

Uproar was mainly when Berks county council went. People are getting wise to it with their property being devalued by ending up in Reading district (as its a tip). His opinion is shared by other NIMBYs.

Sonic The Hedgehog

Oi Lino You're A Disgrace
Jul 7, 2003
Wetherspoons, Fareham
a quick visit to the National Statistics site

I wouldn't trust any of those pen pushing, tea drinking, index linked bastards.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Dancin Ninja BHA said:
What's a footy shirt then?

Its FOOTBALL

Not footy, not foota, not soccer, etc, etc, etc :p

Good Post DCLAD, I'll certainly be wearing my FOOTY shirt tomorrow!

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
According to the United Nations, Brighton is the tenth largest urban conglomeration in the entire UK with a population of around half a million. The UN work out their figures by starting at the centre and keeping going in all directions until population per sq mile drops below a certain level. The UN "Brighton" figure includes the whole of Worthing, for example!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here