Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pubs In Reading That Will Allow Wearing Of Footy Shirts

Nov 12, 2003
I know there have been loads of various threads on this subject, but I still haven't seen anyone naming pubs in Reading that Albion fans will be allowed to enter with a degree of safety etc.

I know the Boardwalk is closed ( great shame ) but can someone advise on prospective venues please?

Oh....and I will not be touching Aftershock before the game and am looking forward to getting into the Madejski stadium !!

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
Right, here you go:

If you're going into the City Centre then its full of pubs but most won't allow shirts. The best bet for Albion fans is to avoid the whole of the City Centre and go to the Swan at Three Mile Cross.

If you're coming in on train though, there are 9 train stations in Reading to stop at, with the main one having all the pubs around it.

Avoid: (either for aggro or for just general rules not allowing shirts)

The Three Guineas
The Forum
Barracuda
All the 4 Wetherspoons (Monks Retreat, Hope Tap, Back of Beyond, Baron Cadogen)
Bar Risa
Bar 4
Pretty much all of Friar Street now that the Boardwalk has become Bar Risa
Litten Tree

Places to go:

The Oracle bars (Bar 38, Brannigans, etc) are all generally ok on matchday and there's never much of a problem.
Casa, Sahara, Revolution, and Bar HaHa! are expensive pints but never any problem
You can even try the Royal Albion in Oxford Road if you want! used to be a pub near Elm Park.
Anything near Chatham Street and the town end of the Oxford Road is ok.
Everything near the Broad Street Mall (apart from maybe Cafe Du Sport) is fine, so that includes the Allied Arms, Warwick Arms, Hogs Head I think (one of them), Pavlov's Dog, the Horn, and Cafe Iguana. The Orange Rooms is also down that way and should be fine.

Here's the list:
http://www.readingpubs.co.uk/pubs/full.asp

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
Lammy said:
Reading is a city?!?!? :eek:

3rd biggest place in the south after London and Bristol. Signs everywhere saying City Centre nowadays, and a burned down Cathedral that prevented a City charter in the 1700s... all that business and the like, its silly to have it still referred to as a town.

Just gotta sort out the boundaries (i.e. half of Reading is in 2 other boroughs for some stupid reason) and sort the NIMBYs out (something I'm sure you're all familiar with!!) and the status can be given straight away.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Wilts said:
3rd biggest place in the south after London and Bristol. Signs everywhere saying City Centre nowadays, and a burned down Cathedral that prevented a City charter in the 1700s... all that business and the like, its silly to have it still referred to as a town.

Just gotta sort out the boundaries (i.e. half of Reading is in 2 other boroughs for some stupid reason) and sort the NIMBYs out (something I'm sure you're all familiar with!!) and the status can be given straight away.

Third biggest place in terms of what? Land mass, population, popularity...

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
Lammy said:
Third biggest place in terms of what? Land mass, population, popularity...

Single place population (i.e. not including Wokingham and Bracknell in the conurbation) and land mass. Had to do a big ol' project on it while at school a few years back.

Popularity! :ohmy: You only need to ask us how much of a shthole it is!

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
ive asked this before but there was a load of us in a pub that is about a 15 minute walk from the mad stad. it was near the superstores & i cant remember for the life of me what it was called.

DOES ANYONE REMEMBER????

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
Fourteenth Eye said:
ive asked this before but there was a load of us in a pub that is about a 15 minute walk from the mad stad. it was near the superstores & i cant remember for the life of me what it was called.

DOES ANYONE REMEMBER????

Its on Basingstoke Road and I've forgotten too.... near Rose Kiln Lane top.

There used to be a pub called the 4 horseshoes but that is now a mongolian grill (I think). If has a bar though. Also a harvester call The World Turned Upside Down.

Other than that there are no pubs in the area I would drink in and I've lived here for 12 years or so.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Wilts said:
Single place population (i.e. not including Wokingham and Bracknell in the conurbation) and land mass. Had to do a big ol' project on it while at school a few years back.

Popularity! :ohmy: You only need to ask us how much of a shthole it is!

Did you pass the course? Just looked up some figures from the last census;

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/census2001/downloads/pop2001ew.pdf

Brighton & Hove...........247,820
Plymouth......................240,718
Southampton...............217,478
Portsmouth..................186,704
Reading........................143,124

Last edited:

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
Lammy said:
Did you pass the course? Just looked up some figures from the last census;

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/census2001/downloads/pop2001ew.pdf

Brighton & Hove...........247,820
Plymouth......................240,718
Southampton...............217,478
Portsmouth..................186,704
Reading........................143,124

You wanna argue eh!?!? :p - a quick visit to the National Statistics site was indeed the right place to start. The census is for the central borough only.

143,124 is the central borough and there are 2 more with Reading in them. Total population is around 255,000 (with around 80,000 in Wokingham district at present, i.e. Redhatch, Earley, Woodley areas). Brighton has included a great deal of extra areas in the 247,000 and Plymouth is a fully encapsulated city in the 240,000.

p.s. A in Geography does help indeed...

p.p.s :p

p.p.p.s If you really need a breakdown I can provide, if you're incredibly bored!

p.p.p.p.s - Map here MAP!

Last edited:

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
When you say central borough you mean Reading and not the entire county of Berkshire.

Oh I see what you're saying. You just keep going out until you have a nice big number. Can we start including Shoreham, Seaford and Lewes in our population then?

Reading is nowhere near the third biggest 'place' in the south. Just accept it. It's not even a city!

It's basically a through road to the M4 with a load of industrial estates.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
That map link does seem to work. I'm still fasinated how you can say Reading is the thrid largest place in the south! Not just the south East but the whole south!!!

My sides are still hurting! :lolol:

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Reading a city? Bollocks, I live in Bracknell, work in Reading and people from Earley or Woodley do not consider it too be part of Reading. It's like saying Rottingdean is Brighton.:dunce:

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
y2dave said:
Reading a city? Bollocks, I live in Bracknell, work in Reading and people from Earley or Woodley do not consider it too be part of Reading. It's like saying Rottingdean is Brighton.:dunce:

Wrong! Just plain wrong. I am from that end and everyone is part of Reading in their head just not on council. No-one is from "Wokingham" so the theory is a lie, Wokingham is 6 miles down the road, and around 80,000 (as they keep saying in the local paper) are Reading.

Lammy, you are incredibly wrong! Having been to all of the other places in the south that are not as big such as Brighton, Plymouth etc you can tell that other places just don't have that "city" feel in comparison. You can't have Seaford, Lewes etc in yours because they are nowhere near unlike all the rest of ours. Its a long running issue and I'm pretty sure that we know enough about it to make judgement!! Been going on for years and years and its still a sensitive issue.

Map of Wokingham District here:
HERE!. After the Reading borough on the left, all those other smaller area borough of denser population to the right are all Reading and then the larger (countryside) areas are all not Reading.

Simple stuff! But then don't let facts get in the way of your incorrect view ;) 3rd biggest place in the south bar none. There is just no argument here!

Last edited:

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
y2dave said:

To be honest I don't find someone referring to Reading a a city too offensive. But to come out and say Reading is the biggest place in the entire south of England after London and Bristol is bizzare in the extreme! :dunce:

Artois

is 100% of your RDA
Jul 5, 2003
Hooters
I'm going here:

swaninn.jpg

It was good last year. :jester:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here