Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pub / Carvery in Lewes area

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Taking my mum out for her birthday on Sunday with all the family. Looking for a pub in the Lewes / Ringmer / Heathfield / Uckfield area. Want a nice country pub with a carvery and really good food. Suggestions please. Cheers.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The Shepherd and Dog, Fulking.

Mind you, not too sure where Fulking is. went there by car but wasn't paying attention. Quite near here tho, and the food is good :dunce:

Last edited:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
The Large One said:
What about The Lamb at Firle? Got a good reputation, I hear.

Haven't been there for years, good suggestion. I like Firle, always reminds me of the Vicar of Dibley.

And it's the RAM I think.

Last edited:

Lewesian Seagull

Jul 13, 2003
Lewes
Commander said:
Haven't been there for years, good suggestion. I like Firle, always reminds me of the Vicar of Dibley.

And it's the RAM I think.

Good food, quite expensive, no carvery though.

Only carvery I can think of in Lewes area is the White Hart, leaves a bit to be desired though.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
The White Hart is the only Cavery in Lewes I think.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I'd go to the Bull in Ditchling - it is expensive but the food is really fantastic.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Lewesian Seagull said:
Good food, quite expensive, no carvery though.

Only carvery I can think of in Lewes area is the White Hart, leaves a bit to be desired though.

Just a little bit further east is the Yew tree at Arlington.....a top top country pub but you'll have to book.

The chalk pit in Lewes is good (my step daughter is a waitress there) as is the Rainbow at cooksbridge.

The Trevor arms at Glynde serves exceptional pub food...but no carvery alas.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
jevs said:
Just a little bit further east is the Yew tree at Arlington.....a top top country pub but you'll have to book.

The chalk pit in Lewes is good (my step daughter is a waitress there) as is the Rainbow at cooksbridge.

Haven't been to the Yew Tree for years either.

:lolol: I know the owners of the Chalk Pit, don't envy your step daughter working there.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Lammy said:
The White Hart is the only Cavery in Lewes I think.

...and it's not got a good reputation for the quality of their food.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
jevs said:

I can recommend The Old Oak, also in Arlington. No carvery though, but the food and service is top class.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Tom Hark said:

Mind you, not too sure where Fulking is. went there by car but wasn't paying attention. Quite near here tho, and the food is good :dunce:

Fulking is near Poynings on the road towards Bramber at the foot of the Devils Dyke.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Tom Hark said:

Spent many a happy night there when my brother was the landlord. :drink: :drink: :drink:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Blacksmiths Arms at Offham on the Cooksbridge Road is the daddy of pub/restaurants.

Royal Oak in Poynings does excellent food, harveys and a lovelly garden

Staypuft

Sep 21, 2006
Lewes
Jolly Sportsman, East Chiltington
The Griffin, Fletching
The Rainbow, Cooksbridge.

All good food although sevice can be a bit "stuck up" at rainbow.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Cadiz Seagull said:
You never bloody take me out for my birthday :angry:

To be fair, it is slightly more expensive to take you out. The 2,000 mile journey to get to your house is a bit of a hinderence.

And if you hadn't moved away from Cadiz I would have been out again to watch football (er I mean see you) by now!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here