Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Psoriasis

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I have a young relataive who suffers quite badly with it so I'm looking for tips from anybody who has it or encountered it on how to control and ease it please?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
What exactly is it ?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
A skin problem that leaves large plates of dry/sore skin over the body.

Kind of exma type thing, a bloke in our office has this on his elbows and uses some type of cream.

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
Emollient on prescription from the GP. I have a relative with psoriasis and I knick it off them. It's great stuff, and unscented too so ideal if it's a man who doesn't want to smell of moisturiser.

One of the medical options is Methotrexate. I take this for another reason, and would certainly not recommend it. I think Adam Virgo's Shirt will back me up on this one!!

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
They will be told that exposure to the sun and UV lights (i.e. sunbeds) does the job, and to a certain extent this is true - a close family member of mine suffers from it incredibly badly and sun holidays do the world of good, a week in Cyprus once literally made the condition disappear - however be careful, doctors seem quite keen to take risks regarding this, and said family member ended up with skin cancer.

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
I have it too, but I use prescription stuff called 'Dovonex' that works a treat.

I also have some oatmeal and honey soap that can scrub layers of skin off for fun that helps my plaques look a bit more skin coloured.

I had over 50% body coverage when I was younger, used to have to bathe in coal tar :/

What exactly is it ?
Psoriasis.jpg

I have it on my arms and legs at the moment.

They will be told that exposure to the sun and UV lights (i.e. sunbeds) does the job, and to a certain extent this is true - a close family member of mine suffers from it incredibly badly and sun holidays do the world of good, a week in Cyprus once literally made the condition disappear - however be careful, doctors seem quite keen to take risks regarding this, and said family member ended up with skin cancer.

Their condition may be caused by food or other allergies. A week abroad could mean a week away from those allergens.

The Keeper

Oct 22, 2005
West Sussex
I have it on my arms and legs too, dosent itch just looks horrible, im using that dovonex cream too and works really well

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
GP will give Diprobase - that's good

Failing that - coal tar (you can get bath treatments for it on prescription) is VERY good - a patient i had with psoriasis said it was the only thing that helped him. Neutrogena do a scalp treatment containing coal tar, but i cant remember what it's called!!!

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I'm sure I saw something once about some fish that are meant to cure this - you sit in a big swimming pool thing and they eat the dead skin off. Think it was in Turkey tho so might not be of much use to you.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I suffer from Psoriasis quite badly, so much so I am on Enbrel (Etanercept). I have used pretty much everything there is to use (Coal Tar, PUVA, Dovobet, Methrotrexate,Cyclosporin Neoral, Every Cream under the sun).

I recommend the link that Nemesis posted above, it's an excellent forum that I have used for many years. Lots of good advice and a real community.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
Be careful with some lotions and creams, I find that any of these moisturisers and whatnot actually irritate the crap out of mine, so make sure you don't cake yourself in them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here