Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PS3 - Those who have one.

Mrs Coach

aka Jesus H. Woman
I know it's a lot of money. And I have no doubt that the price will start to slide very shortly, probably ending up at £300 come the summer - but that's what the PS2 (and everything else!) did too.

I'm amazed that you can connect to the internet, watch blue ray films and buy games through it!
Motorstorm (now I'm finally allowed to play it - thanks kids for letting me have a turn!) is amazing, and almost gives you whiplash as your head turns with the game!

We've downloaded loads of playable demo's and trailers already.

My view is - if you can afford it - Why Not? It's great.
If you haven't got the money outright, wait for the summer sales - not worth going into debt over! Find a friend who has one and camp out!

Dec 30, 2006
South Atlantic
Motorstorm is an excellent fun game, but you don't get a huge number of courses, and the AI is a bit dodgy.

As for Blu-Ray, overpriced discs, and just cos it looks prettier it does not make a poor film good.

At £425 you are being ripped off, rather alarming is that although Sony are claiming that about 1700 PS2 games are available (out of 2600) over the internet, many of these are cut down versions as they have removed one of the chips from the PS3 in Europe (compared to the USA/Japan) to make more profits.

It is a good machine, but not good enough to justify the price. Loads in HMV yesterday.

Mrs Coach

aka Jesus H. Woman
Absolutely. It is overpriced - as is everything when they first come out - tv's, gadgets etc.

But if you can afford it? Go for it. If not, wait for the summer sales.

As the YouTube video (posted above) says :

PS TRIPLE - The best dude!

Dec 30, 2006
South Atlantic
The main reason not to go for it is that you are being ripped off, and there are not enough AAA games to justify buying one.

Too many are lazy Xbox360 ports, and nothing is as good as Zelda on the Wii. There is a lot of style over substance with the PS3, so wait for Sony to cut the price or someone to produce better games for it. In the States, it is the seventh best selling console at present, behind

1. DS
2. Xbox360
3. Wii
4. PS2
5. PSP
6. GBA

It is however outselling the Gamecube and original Xbox

Mrs Coach

aka Jesus H. Woman
Personally, I think the PS2 is such a good console with so many games and back games to play that people aren't prepared to spend so much for a much smaller jump in quality than there was between the PS1 and 2.

I've used a friends Wii, and I wasn't particularly impressed. I think the kids DS and PSP are great fun, value and excellent graphics and games, so I can understand why they're so popular.

But I'm a Sony fan, and a bit of a gadget freak, so I like to have the new products, if I've got the spare lolly.

(sssshhhhh kids...... you like beans for tea........)

:lolol:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Having played on it a bit more last night the one thing I noticed was how quiet it is compared to the 360. The PS3 is almost silent where as the 360 sounds like a helicopter taking of in the corner of your lounge.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
HIM was too busy smoking bananas

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Mrs Coach said:
Personally, I think the PS2 is such a good console with so many games and back games to play that people aren't prepared to spend so much for a much smaller jump in quality than there was between the PS1 and 2.

Are you joking? The graphics blew me away...

I have got a pretty dope hdmi set up though...

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Eric Steele's Groucho Impression said:
As for Blu-Ray, overpriced discs, and just cos it looks prettier it does not make a poor film good.

I wouldn't say they are over-priced if you know where to look. Try some of the online retailers like axel music who sell them for around the same prices a new DVD would have set you back a few years ago. In some cases they are cheaper than you would pay on the high street for a new DVD today. There is no region encoding on Blue-Ray or HD-DVD's yet either.

Avoid places like HMV etc if you don't want to be ripped off.

Jimbo26

Jan 25, 2007
Portslade Old Village
JJ McClure said:
Having played on it a bit more last night the one thing I noticed was how quiet it is compared to the 360. The PS3 is almost silent where as the 360 sounds like a helicopter taking of in the corner of your lounge.
I have been told that as well. Noisy as hell !!

Last edited:

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
hooker said:
Dreamcast FTW!

Only thing the Dreamcast was good for was Crazy Taxi:dunce:

upnorthnow

Feb 4, 2004
SK13
my son got his yesterday (7 months of saving) it's ok (not mind blowing) but we havn't accessed all the features but the first 2 PS 2games he has tried to play don't work.

Thanks Sony - £425 and you rip off a 12 year old to save yoursefl £20 (by taking out the emotion engin)

to quote the pub landlord '"shame on you"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here