Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PS3 Help required.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Having some problems with my Ps3, and wondered if anyone could give us a hand. When turning on, all i am getting is a black screen, have tried unplugging and plugging all back in, and even tried it on another new tele. It turns on normally, i get the green light etc but just a black screen, then when i go to turn it off normally by touching the power button on the front, it gives two beeps i have never heard before. If you keep your finger on the button for a few seconds it does eventually work, but ive never had the problem with the double beeping noise either.
Thanks in advance.:thumbsup:

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Sometimes for no apparent reason my PS3 decides to change its video output settings meaning when I turn it on the screen is all f***ed and I have to go into settings and tell it to set the output to composite RGB (I don't have a flashy HD telly) HOWEVER if you can't see anything this might be quite difficult.

If you want to try it however I could work out the button presses you need to go through to change the video output settings and see if that gets you anywhere?

As for the double beep when you hit the power button, on my PS3 a quick press of the power gives it a double beep and a reset whereas a long press switches it off (light goes red)

seven stands

May 25, 2006
hastings
turn it off then turn it on using front button but keep button held down till you hear i think 3 beeps ( around five seconds ) this will reset video settings

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Fixed! Had to restore the hard drive as data was corrupt, very helpful video on youtube, which without i would have been very screwed.
Cheers for the advice.
Oh and as for getting an xbox, this is the first ps3 i've known to even have a slight problem, whereas i know numerous people who have problems with their xbox's.

seven stands

May 25, 2006
hastings
Fixed! Had to restore the hard drive as data was corrupt, very helpful video on youtube, which without i would have been very screwed.
Cheers for the advice.
Oh and as for getting an xbox, this is the first ps3 i've known to even have a slight problem, whereas i know numerous people who have problems with their xbox's.

ah yes forgot that, its handy for some disc reading errors too

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
I'd be devastated if I lost all the data on my hard drive. What about all my saved games?

Does anyone know if there's a simple way of transferring your data from the hard drive to a new one? I'm considering getting a larger capacity drive for mine as it's already close to capacity and now that there is so much downloadable content available, including all the films you can get from the PS store, I want to ensure I don't need to keep deleting stuff every time I want something new.

I know installing a new hard drive is fairly cheap and simple, I just don't want to lose what I currently have on my 40gb one.

seven stands

May 25, 2006
hastings
any thing like demos you can redownload or dont want delete, then pics music etc stick on a memory card and back up on computer ( then delete of ps3 ), once you done that you should have cleared a lot off. Then just do a system back up ( which saves everthing left onto memory card ). Install new hdd and do a system update and copy music etc back over.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
Sweet. That sounds ace, cheers.

I'm not worried about music and videos on there that I've put on myself as obviously I already have them on a computer BUT the content I've downloaded and paid for as well as my game progress was what I was worried about losing

seven stands

May 25, 2006
hastings
Sweet. That sounds ace, cheers.

I'm not worried about music and videos on there that I've put on myself as obviously I already have them on a computer BUT the content I've downloaded and paid for as well as my game progress was what I was worried about losing

make sure you remember your psn id and password then when you install new hdd set up the account again, go to download history in the ps store and whatever you have paid for you can redownload for free ( on upto five ps3' " game sharing " ). trophies are linked to account so ignore them.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Im not sure what i have lost to be honest yet, was getting nagged about being on so long trying to fix it. Signed into PSN and all my friends lists were still there, which is what i was worried about. I'll have to see what ive lost when i go back on, but i didnt have any photos, music or expensive downloads anyway. Presume my saved data is gone, but i mostly play online anyway so it will just be rankins etc which need to be worked on? Oh well, better than having to fork out on a new one.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
Well your online stats shouldn't be affected provided you still login with the same PSN ID, and there's no reason why you shouldn't

seven stands

May 25, 2006
hastings
Im not sure what i have lost to be honest yet, was getting nagged about being on so long trying to fix it. Signed into PSN and all my friends lists were still there, which is what i was worried about. I'll have to see what ive lost when i go back on, but i didnt have any photos, music or expensive downloads anyway. Presume my saved data is gone, but i mostly play online anyway so it will just be rankins etc which need to be worked on? Oh well, better than having to fork out on a new one.

dont think you will have lost anything

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Then when it goes wrong take it back and go back to the PS3, a far superior machine

:lolol:

Hello Mr Salesman, I'd like a blueray player and i've got money to burn so have you got one that has an inferior game console attached? You do, well in that case I'd be delighted to pay you over the odds for it.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
How can you call the PS3 an "inferior" console?? It is more reliable AND more powerful than its nearest competitor the Xbox 360, not to mention the fact that it offers FREE online gaming AND has a built in BBC iPlayer app to allow free streaming of BBC programmes. And you've even mentioned the fact it boasts a Blu Ray player, unlike the 360

There is no question over which machine is better

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here