Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Proven Goalscorer Nonsense

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Can we just set the record straight on this proven goalscorer nonsense??

I've heard too much we desperately need to sign a proven goalscorer and it's baloney in my book.

Firstly of course it helps if we get a proven goalscorer but clubs have gone up before without having a 20/30 goal a season man, it can be done. We'd be better off getting four or five players into double figures than one man getting 25 goals.

Secondly, every proven goalscorer was at some point or other unproven. Every transfer is a risk and even if we were to sign a proven goalscorer, it would cost a lot of money and doesn't guarantee they'll score here, there's no reason why any of our current strikers can't make a name for themselves this season and score the goals to fire us into the Championship or GUs can get someone unproven with his fabulous scouting network.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Agreed. People just want a big name on the team sheet up front, someone the oppositoion look at and say " we need to keep him quiet " etc etc and dont get me wrong that would be nice.

But in principle i agree with you.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would sooner that we made sure to sign somebody with the required skill to provide Murray & Barnes with the chances and the midfielders chip in with some as welll.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean

I've heard too much we desperately need to sign a proven goalscorer and it's baloney in my book.

Firstly of course it helps if we get a proven goalscorer but clubs have gone up before without having a 20/30 goal a season man, it can be done. We'd be better off getting four or five players into double figures than one man getting 25 goals.

Secondly, every proven goalscorer was at some point or other unproven. Every transfer is a risk and even if we were to sign a proven goalscorer, it would cost a lot of money and doesn't guarantee they'll score here, there's no reason why any of our current strikers can't make a name for themselves this season and score the goals to fire us into the Championship or GUs can get someone unproven with his fabulous scouting network.

will you please stop talking sense :mad:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
alanleecelebration20100123_275x155.jpg

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

Agree in principle. I do think we need strengthening up front, but as is the way with NSC people are taking the 25 goal thing to extremes in that any player linked with us who hasn't previously hit that tally is now automatically considered 'shit'

westy

Jul 25, 2003
I know what you are saying but if Murray gets injured or more likely suspended we are screwed. We rely on him to not only score goals but hold up the ball and bring others into play. He IS a great outlet for our back four / midfield. With all due respect to our other options upfront couldn’t see any of them doing that role so effectively, hence why we need another quality frontman.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I know what you are saying but if Murray gets injured or more likely suspended we are screwed. We rely on him to not only score goals but hold up the ball and bring others into play. He IS a great outlet for our back four / midfield. With all due respect to our other options upfront couldn’t see any of them doing that role so effectively, hence why we need another quality frontman.

100% agree.. the need for another top striker if we are serious about promotion is NOT nonsense...

Gav1901

Banned
May 14, 2008
Southwick

Firstly of course it helps if we get a proven goalscorer but clubs have gone up before without having a 20/30 goal a season man
, it can be done. We'd be better off getting four or five players into double figures than one man getting 25 goals.

Who has gone up without a 20/30 goal scorer in this league??

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I made a similar point a couple of months back. We do need another decent striker, but I don't hold with the 25+ mantra.

Do We Need ? - North Stand Chat

In that thread is a post containing the top scorers for the top six. Three of them didn't have anyone get over 25 goals (league and cup).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here