Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Protests/rioting in lots of places

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Just had an email from my kid's nursery advising that some families from more central parts of town should consider collecting before 6. Statement from the council attached.

Updated statement on the impact of racist violence in the city

We are aware of growing public concern following the recent criminal disorder seen across the country, the unverified reports circulating about potential activity in the city and unsolicited leaflets being shared in some areas.

I would like to reassure residents and visitors that the council is working closely with Sussex Police and other partners to identify any emerging concerns, and keep our residents, staff, community partners and businesses safe.

We recognise the impact this unrest is causing to the lives of many people and that we are not all experiencing it in the same way, disproportionately harming our Black, Migrant and Muslim communities.

Brighton & Hove will always be a place which prides itself on our inclusivity and being a place of sanctuary. Sussex Police will come down hard on anyone taking part in the type of disorder we have seen elsewhere in the country. Racism and violent thuggery have no place in our city.

We will update residents further on any impact this may have on our local services, but in the meantime, I would like to encourage people to keep an eye on information from Sussex Police, stay vigilant and report any concerns or instances of hate crime to them by calling either 101, or 999 in an emergency.

Councillor Bella Sankey

Leader of Brighton & Hove City Council
But what about the potholes Bella……

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Starmer is deluded if he thinks harsh sentences will deter rioters imo
'Deluded'?

What do you suggest? A small fine and 'on your way'?

When did Starmer declare that the harsh sentences would deter rioters? I am happy to see a bit of justice and punishment, myself.

Strange choice of language and narrative from you. Would it be rude or inappropriate to call you deluded?

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
'Deluded'?

What do you suggest? A small fine and 'on your way'?

When did Starmer declare that the harsh sentences would deter rioters? I am happy to see a bit of justice and punishment, myself.

Strange choice of language and narrative from you. Would it be rude or inappropriate to call you deluded?
Just seen a report on BBC news on him stating this, I do not have the solutions but suggesting threats will deter rioters is deluded imo!

If Sunak had come out with the same comments I am 100% certain your opinion would not be the same :lolol:

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Starmer is deluded if he thinks harsh sentences will deter rioters imo. How do you identify people not arrested when they are wearing hoodies and scarves.
Its actually easier than you think. Most masks, scarves and balaclavas will have been purchased recently. Even if not, finding who has purchased specific ones will be easy. Most of these people will already be know to police, so will likely know the sizes of these people, down to shoesize. Hiding the face does f*** all except hide yourself from known people.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Starmer is deluded if he thinks harsh sentences will deter rioters imo. How do you identify people not arrested when they are wearing hoodies and scarves?
When they don’t change their shoes or other garments. They’ve already identified one bloke who was wearing a mask by his shoes.

A lot of those who are being nicked rioted because they thought they’d get away with it. When people start getting locked up then I suspect the attraction of ‘defending or streets’ will wain and they’ll sit in the pub with their follow dickheads, whinging about how unfair life is.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Its actually easier than you think. Most masks, scarves and balaclavas will have been purchased recently. Even if not, finding who has purchased specific ones will be easy. Most of these people will already be know to police, so will likely know the sizes of these people, down to shoesize. Hiding the face does f*** all except hide yourself from known people.
I hope that you are right!

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
When they don’t change their shoes or other garments. They’ve already identified one bloke who was wearing a mask by his shoes.

A lot of those who are being nicked rioted because they thought they’d get away with it. When people start getting locked up then I suspect the attraction of ‘defending or streets’ will wain and they’ll sit in the pub with their follow dickheads, whinging about how unfair life is.
So no rioting coming up in the alleged 100 protests today?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Starmer is deluded if he thinks harsh sentences will deter rioters imo. How do you identify people not arrested when they are wearing hoodies and scarves?
Unless they’re wearing hoodies / scarves all the way to their front door (which is also not on record) then they will be identified somewhere along the line.

It’s also not designed for the hardcore, it’s designed to deter the opportunists and looters, keep them at home and it’s easier to police 50 hardcore nutters than 500 rubber-neckers.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Just seen a report on BBC news on him stating this, I do not have the solutions but suggesting threats will deter rioters is deluded imo!

If Sunak had come out with the same comments I am 100% certain your opinion would not be the same :lolol:
If the nazi thugs are banged up, they aren't attacking the police or burning down hotels. Might not deter others (although losing job and liberty might make some of them think twice) but at least they are off the streets.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not sure about a deterent, but as I say, get the army in to help round them up, 24/7 courts to lock them up. Job done.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Does anyone recall the speeches of Farage, before and after the general election? Didn't he warn Labour of something apocalytic, very quickly?

I'll try and dig it out.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
If by the above your referring to the suggestion the cabbie had considered ’central locking’ the lad and driving him to the Police station, two things spring to mind, are there cars that you can lock (apart from London style cabs) that can’t be opened from the inside vial the door leaver and more importantly the cabbie if he was able to do this is opening himself to a ‘False imprisonment’ charge
The irony being he'd have saved three children's lives in the process.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Unless they’re wearing hoodies / scarves all the way to their front door (which is also not on record) then they will be identified somewhere along the line.
One guy has been identified by his tattoos whih were not covered up.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Then you're 100% wrong.

I don't accept that penalties do not deter criminality. That of course doesn't mean that prison has eradicated crime.

You won't find any examples of my defending criminality or decrying sentencing. This includes the eco twits who got several years recently. When Sunk was PM. I did not criticize Sunk for the sentencing.

I am happy that prison has an element of punishment in its rubric.

If a prison sentence deters a few people from being dicks it is a deterrent.

There are no crimes that have been eradicated due to prison. Murder being one. But it would be absurd to say that prison has no deterrent value for potential murderers. Or shoplifters. It would indeed be deluded :shrug:

And Starmer did not say that prison sentences will halt the wanker 'protesters'.

f*** me. We can do without yet another false narrative.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The Lonsdale tracksuit bottoms and lack of teeth normally give it away

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here