Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Protests/rioting in lots of places

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Can you explain why it's not representative?
No chance. Because it will be bloody close. Some people don’t understand maths. That’s fine. Hopefully the explanation I posted will make it clear.

You see twitter polls with 100k responses which have meaningless findings. Echo chambers amplify the poll and the results have zero external validity. It is like people who say “none of my mates voted x so no chance that poll is correct”

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
It’s battle of the pictures out there currently. Pictures of Muslims attacking police in some papers. Others using pictures of white yobs attacking police. All battling to control the narrative and influence people’s views.
My view is they're all as bad as each other, violent scumbags on both sides

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The survey was of 4212 adults. The adult population in the UK is over 40 million. Hope this helps
Actually it’s a BIG sample and representative. Plenty online you can read about sampling techniques. 4,000 gives you something like a 95% confidence level of an accurate result with a margin of error of between 1 and 2% - ie it’s very large and representative in sample terms (assuming YouGov have unbiased sampling methodology).

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
This isn’t going away and I fear someone will get seriously hurt or worse.

First reply I saw to that is depressing

There's a word for it, I just can't think of it. When an effect "justifies" the cause.

Said this forty pages ago but it bears repeating: we as a species are doomed.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
What has happened over the last week with these so called protests can probably be summed up with the reaction of this incredibly stupid woman from Sunderland. She came out of a pub at closing time, very drunk and very angry. She chose to get involved in attacking police by pushing a bin at police lines. She probably thought that was hilarious and so did the rest of the numpties around.

Well, she got the early morning knock on the door, was arrested and charged, appeared in court this morning and was remanded in custody until September. I wonder if she thinks it’s all hilarious now?

Rinse and repeat for every other twat up and down the country who have done the same thing. Act in haste, repent at leisure - or rather, at His Majesty’s Pleasure. :thumbsup:
No way do they have resources to round up thousands of people, he needs to de escalate instead of saying everyone will get banged up, what about all the idiots standing filming but on the front lines..?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
No way do they have resources to round up thousands of people, he needs to de escalate instead of saying everyone will get banged up, what about all the idiots standing filming but on the front lines..?
Descalate how, saying it’s all fine we understand you need to put police officers in hospital, burn hotels with migrants in, but perhaps we can get you doing some community litter picking or helping old ladies cross the road as long as you stop?

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Days of rioting, and each day people keep saying people will be killed. Has anyone been killed yet?

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Respectful and peaceful demonstrations by any denominations I don't have any issues with. Once they start attacking the Police, fireman and destroying people's livelihoods by smashing up/ looting shops, cars, buses etc they deserve everything coming their way.
Trouble is the prison system can't cope with the sudden influx and fining them probably won't help as many won't have jobs
A lot of prisoners are going to get released at 40% served to make room for this rabble.
Quite a few got unexpected early release in 2011 for the same reason.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What has happened over the last week with these so called protests can probably be summed up with the reaction of this incredibly stupid woman from Sunderland. She came out of a pub at closing time, very drunk and very angry. She chose to get involved in attacking police by pushing a bin at police lines. She probably thought that was hilarious and so did the rest of the numpties around.

Well, she got the early morning knock on the door, was arrested and charged, appeared in court this morning and was remanded in custody until September. I wonder if she thinks it’s all hilarious now?

Rinse and repeat for every other twat up and down the country who have done the same thing. Act in haste, repent at leisure - or rather, at His Majesty’s Pleasure. :thumbsup:
This.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
<sigh>

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
First reply I saw to that is depressing

There's a word for it, I just can't think of it. When an effect "justifies" the cause.

Said this forty pages ago but it bears repeating: we as a species are doomed.

Aftertiming?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The survey was of 4212 adults. The adult population in the UK is over 40 million. Hope this helps
That is a good survey if it was a representative sample.

The last general election was accurately predicted from smaller polls.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here