Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Protests/rioting in lots of places

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I feel the same. Keep out the way and let the police deal with the far-right lot. I appreciate there is a desire to show those that are are being victimised and threatened they are not alone, I share this feeling, but wonder if there's a better way to do this. The crowdfunding for the library books is a good example, a 500 quid target which was in the tens of thousands last time I looked is a far better way and practical way to show support.
Nearly £50k now! Great stuff. Many of the organisations (refugee support groups, etc) that the far right are trying to target on Wednesday night are desperate for support, but I'm sure this will be much better if it's in the form of donations (financial, or volunteering). Personally I think you're correct - keep out of the way and let the police do their job. It'll actually be easier for the police if there aren't an additional load of "protesters" on the streets.....much as it's tempting to publicly show solidarity with asylum-seekers, etc.

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
I’m unsure what to make of counter protests. Do they just inflame an already volatile situation that just makes the Police’s job harder and more dangerous?

My instinct is that anyone who protests against the EDL etc is all right by me but then I think of some of the anti semitic banners etc at the anti Israel marches and I am pretty sure that there are as many racists and bigots on the extreme left as the extreme right.

If the millions of us who are horrified by what is going on assembled quietly and peacefully in a totally different place to the right wing demos, would this have a greater impact than a counter demo that increases the level
of violence? Solidarity with those who are being subjected to hate rather than adding to it perhaps?

Not sure, so merely pontificating my doubts and confusion….
At any of these events you tend to see the horseshoe theory in practice.

Mostly counter protesters are there in good conscience, but there’s also the troublemakers regardless of which side your on.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
He wasn't just nicking gingerbread men and bath bombs - what a nasty piece of work.

And, as others have said, the knobbers have incriminated themselves by filming it all, on numerous phones from multiple angles and uploading it onto the internet for the police to use as evidence. In many cases, the convictions will be easy tap-ins.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
So, ingerlunds finest will be headed down Queens Road to burn down the office block housing various charities on Wednesday night?

have I got that right.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
This lot are surely the thickest people in the country. So glad that they're making it easy for the police by filming themselves committing, in some cases, quite serious crimes and then plastering it all over social media

Quite right for the PM to call these people out for what they are. Enjoy prison you absolute cretins

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
So, ingerlunds finest will be headed down Queens Road to burn down the office block housing various charities on Wednesday night?

have I got that right.
Where have you read this?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

have I got that right.
MY office block.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Interesting following this page on X/Twitter…….bit like a live feed on hunting down the rioting morons.

John the looter highlights something about these riots. no coordination or real objective. when they came to loot did they target business belonging to a particular group? nope, it was Lush, Greggs, trainers and phone shops. they're just muppets without a cause.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
But the first article is from 2013.... half a lifetime ago....

I will check to see if this sort of tomfoolery is commonplace and part of the laws surrounding mitigation (and not simply an occasional bit of stupidity).

Edit the second case is also from 2013..... :shrug:
There was a report issued around that time which highlighted an issue withAsian grooming gangs.
It's this reporty where most of the grooming gangs rhetoric comes from.
A lot was made of the disproportionately high level of "asian" men who were active in "grooming gangs".

The report didn't hold up well to scrutiny, as it relied heavily on very sketchy data on the ethnicity of perpetrators, being classified as "Asian".
It later transpired that many of the members of the grooming gangs were from various ethnicities.
There also wasn't a decent set of data on "grooming gangs" and the report was slated as being a bit of a stitch up and may have been politically motivated.

It's become the preferred trope of the "I'm not racist, but" crowd, that Muslim men are paedophiles.
In reality there are as many horrific stories of paedophiles from all races and religions, as there are from Muslims.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
BBC radio this morning said that if found guilty for participating in a public order offence / riot, the offender can go down for years, not months (hopefully)

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here